Dozer or Trackho???

deerhunter10

This will sound childish, but learning to operate heavy machinery - especially a bulldozer - is on my bucket list. What I wouldn't give to know how to use one. I have so much need for bulldozer work, yet can't find anyone who wants to do it.
I'm by no means an expert excavator or bull dozer operator. But if you aren't on a time crunch they aren't that hard to learn. You won't be a pro by any means but you can learn to get by with it. Just like with anything it's just time.

BSK

I just need roads built. Not great roads. Not roads you can drive a car on. Just ATV/UTV roads that won't wash out in the first heavy rain. But ever dozer operator/owner I contact is too busy leveling new home sites. And I don't blame them. Home sites are a lot easier and easier on equipment than building roads cross country through steep ridge-and-hollow terrain.

backyardtndeer

Ask the operators that you are getting bids from what they suggest. For what you are wanting to do, I would go with a trackhoe. I would probably rent one though, and do everything around the farm I could think of.

mike243

I attemped to dig out a 3' maple stump with a full size ford backhoe, no luck after digging down about 4' and cutting all the side roots, I gave up chain sawed it below ground and covered it back up, it would have takin a big track hoe to pop that 1 out, I use to hear dozer guys say to leave a certain height so they could push them out, not sure if that's true or not, I think I would prefer a very large high lift, it operates more like a big ass bobcat lol

JCDEERMAN

I use to hear dozer guys say to leave a certain height so they could push them out, not sure if that's true or not, I think I would prefer a very large high lift, it operates more like a big ass bobcat lol
Leverage helps. We had a lot of logging done, but particularly in the areas we were going to put food plots, we had the logger cut a little higher up for dozer leverage later on. It helped our operator

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Dozers are more common and easier to operate and get delivered but a large excavator with a good operator can really get after those big stumps and is great for getting the dirt off the stump. Then you're gonna need a dozer to finish grade and fill in holes. My brother is a top notch excavator operator but is slow to the point of giving me a headache.

Latest posts