TSI or FSI chemicals

budro2

Thought Id share this info that Dr David Mercker put out earlier in year, Ive done quite a bit of hack and squirt with Imazapyr, and had 15 ac lowland with a lot of cypress, tupelo gum, red maple and honey locust. I hate those thorn trees and was already planning to hack em with imazapyr, along with the red maple.
fortunately I took time to read this realized it saved me a lot of work, that would not have done much.

if you have elm, locust, hornbeam and some others, Imazapyr will NOT work on them.

so , I bought 2.5 gallon of picloram 2/4d now . Its has more hacking involved, but;
"if its worth doing, its worth doing right. "

hope this helps.

read the labels, but :

9 0z chem /23 water has worked well for me on imazapyr.( 1 hack per 3-4 in of dbh of tree)

Ill use 50/50 with the picloram. ( one hack every 3 in around tree) little more work

Ill attach the chem sheet with what trees they work well on.
you need a chem card to buy picloram.

Attachments

• FSI TSI Forest Herbicide Effectiveness on Tree and Shrubs.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

BSK

Good information.

But after having done a lot of hack-and-squirt, I'm done with that! It sounds so easy until you try to clear out undesirable trees in an acre or two. Takes hours and I get so tired of swinging the hatchet that I've had some really scary close calls with the hatchet ricocheting off the tree and nearly taking a knee out!

budro2

Good information.

But after having done a lot of hack-and-squirt, I'm done with that! It sounds so easy until you try to clear out undesirable trees in an acre or two. Takes hours and I get so tired of swinging the hatchet that I've had some really scary close calls with the hatchet ricocheting off the tree and nearly taking a knee out!
i did 120 ac last year, did have a hatchet bounce off a time or 2. I done swing it very hard, and find that the eastwing works best for me as it absorbs the shock. some prefer heavy machets. sure beats a chainsaw. Only real concern is i had a little splashback one time from the axe head being wet which chem. it was a high hack on edge of ditch bank. I dont want that crap in my eyes..

budro2

I just ordered the herbicides to do the Craig Harper cocktail. I think I'll do quick chainsaw cuts or girdles like he shows in the video in lieu of hatchet chops.

Craig is a well respected guy,
But, the other mixes are very efficient and cost effective and proven by many states to be effective. Plus I am NOT using a chain saw , way too much work. I can cover 3-4 times the area using hack and squirt over chain saw.
I have 36 in beech's that I double girdled 20 years ago ( no chem) that survived. ( prob 50% effective) I have some we hacked 2 yrs ago that are dead.

The only time i use a chain saw is for hinge cutting, just to provide security cover and food for deer.

BSK

Personally, I have found mature trees to be VERY difficult to kill with hack-and-squirt, and I've experimented with several different chemical mixes, including almost pure glysophate concentrate. Mature trees are tough buggers!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
If you hack and squirt do a thorough job! I care for a small property that someone half-azzed a hack & squirt job on about 35 acres of maples and honey locust about 12 or 14 years ago. Today I will not enter the wooded areas on windy days due to all of the damaged but living trees. Weakened trunks, dead limbs, 8 inch up to 16 inch trees that can snap off (and do) in the wind or under the weight of snow or ice. I burned this area 2 years ago and had fire climbing trees all over the place. 24 hours after the burn the wind picked up and I spent 48 hours on fire watch chasing embers. I hope to give a logger a sweet deal on the good timber there to get him to take all the standing dead or damaged down or out. Its a real mess and the Japanese stilt grass or bamboo grass is taking over. Lots of potential on this place but wow, poor management can be far worse than no management. Whatever you do, do it well.

JCDEERMAN

Only real concern is i had a little splashback one time from the axe head being wet which chem. it was a high hack on edge of ditch bank. I dont want that crap in my eyes..
I've had this happen. I try to wear safety glasses, but they tend to fog up on me. I get hot and sweat very easily

MickThompson

i did 120 ac last year, did have a hatchet bounce off a time or 2. I done swing it very hard, and find that the eastwing works best for me as it absorbs the shock. some prefer heavy machets. sure beats a chainsaw. Only real concern is i had a little splashback one time from the axe head being wet which chem. it was a high hack on edge of ditch bank. I dont want that crap in my eyes..
I roll the blade to open the cut face instead of squirting on the cutting surface

LanceS4803

Personally, I have found mature trees to be VERY difficult to kill with hack-and-squirt, and I've experimented with several different chemical mixes, including almost pure glysophate concentrate. Mature trees are tough buggers!
I have a 36" dbh sweet gum that just WILL NOT die with multiple years of H&S! Severely degraded, but still hanging in there puking up with sickly sweet yellow stuff from the cuts.

squackattack

TSI does work, but the application has to fit. I have heard stories of herbicides not working my entire career. The other side is herbicide being too effective and killing acres of trees. I have seen that too. This publication from MSU is helpful, but read the label.

budro2

I've killed literally thousands of trees with H&S or basal bark. But man, there are a few that just really, really resist the kill.
Yes . It's not 100% by no means but I'f it puts the tree under a lot of stress it gives the desirable species more room to grow

budro2

TSI does work, but the application has to fit. I have heard stories of herbicides not working my entire career. The other side is herbicide being too effective and killing acres of trees. I have seen that too. This publication from MSU is helpful, but read the label.
There has been some concern about killing non target trees but the main issue is not to do before a rain and allow the chemical to wash out and be taken up by non target trees

Ut did a study at west tn and didn't see any transference that was noted .

From what I read . Over fill of chemical in hack or rain before it's absorbed causes problems

I've don't it for a few years and yet to note an issue , hopefully it won't happen

Latest posts