Food Plots Best source for sawtooths?

Boll Weevil

Maybe not the BEST source but an option.

DoubleRidge

I think they were discontinued because they're not native.
Yeah probably right...First call I made when considering them was to our Forester...I asked him his thoughts on planting sawtooth for wildlife...his answer was "I have planted over 300 of them on my farm"...so that was a short phone conversation....then I also researched how long the sawtooth has been here in the US....while not native....its not new to the area...plus its a fast grower and early dropper.

Biggun4214

Yeah probably right...First call I made when considering them was to our Forester...I asked him his thoughts on planting sawtooth for wildlife...his answer was "I have planted over 300 of them on my farm"...so that was a short phone conversation....then I also researched how long the sawtooth has been here in the US....while not native....its not new to the area...plus its a fast grower and early dropper.
There were sawtooth oaks on the UT Ag Campus in the Fall of 1977. I had never heard of or seen them before. They were probably 8-12 inches in diameter then.
I probably gave 2-3000 away over the years when TWRA used to give trees away. It's un telling how many autumn olives I passed out at the same time. Not only are they non native they are invasive. Fortunately they are easier to eradicate than bush honeysuckle.

Last edited:

Latest posts