Word for the year….cover….

redblood

Usually put in tons of food plots. Not this yr. Decided to go other way. Let almost everything grow over. I have crop fields so plenty of food . Our deer population is ridiculously high. Gonna play the cover hand this yr except for a few select small plots. I always end up
Killing (or passsing usually) the most mature bucks on the ridges above the crops anyway.

BSK

Usually put in tons of food plots. Not this yr. Decided to go other way. Let almost everything grow over. I have crop fields so plenty of food . Our deer population is ridiculously high. Gonna play the cover hand this yr except for a few select small plots. I always end up
Killing (or passsing usually) the most mature bucks on the ridges above the crops anyway.
Our cover has really come into its own, and wow what a difference. I've got the highest summer buck numbers I've recorded in 24 years. Now the question is, how many stay?

Ski

Please keep us informed on how it goes. I always find it interesting how others manage their ground and how it pans out for them, especially when making major strategy changes.

Ski

Our cover has really come into its own, and wow what a difference. I've got the highest summer buck numbers I've recorded in 24 years. Now the question is, how many stay?

That's interesting. Almost counterintuitive. Any thoughts on why they're more than usual? Reckon it's because the cover provides plenty food, or separation from territorial does with fawns, or both?

BSK

That's interesting. Almost counterintuitive. Any thoughts on why they're more than usual? Reckon it's because the cover provides plenty food, or separation from territorial does with fawns, or both?
For whatever reason, the bucks have decided this year to bed in the closest cover I have to the nearby ag bottoms. They go from that cover down to the ag land about 9:30 PM and then return to the cover around 9:30 AM. But the bucks are not going deep into my property. I'm only catching these bachelor groups right at the edge of my property, along the edges of the cover.

Ski

For whatever reason, the bucks have decided this year to bed in the closest cover I have to the nearby ag bottoms. They go from that cover down to the ag land about 9:30 PM and then return to the cover around 9:30 AM. But the bucks are not going deep into my property. I'm only catching these bachelor groups right at the edge of my property, along the edges of the cover.

Just deep enough to catch some shade and security it sounds.

How far is their hike to reach the ag?

Tn_Va_Hunter

I did this last year with a piece of my property. Noticed a lot more deer move through the higher field that inlet grow up. Actually it's where my boy has killed 2 the past 2 years. So this year I am letting that same field go only with a couple shooting lanes cut out. New food plot at the top and same one in the bottom.

redblood

I think riding m the tractor, tilling the ground and watching the plots grow is more for the hunters than it is the deer sometimes. The money and time expenditures have not equaled the harvest of 4.5 plus year old
Bucks (although someone wanting to kill 120 3.5s could have had a ball). I truly believe letting it grow and not intruding in their till peak time will pay dividends. Luckily. We have row crops on our land

Ski

I think riding m the tractor, tilling the ground and watching the plots grow is more for the hunters than it is the deer sometimes. The money and time expenditures have not equaled the harvest of 4.5 plus year old
Bucks (although someone wanting to kill 120 3.5s could have had a ball). I truly believe letting it grow and not intruding in their till peak time will pay dividends. Luckily. We have row crops on our land

Wisdom right there ^. Diminishing returns is a very real phenomenon when it comes to habitat work. My biggest struggle with working my property is knowing when to just stop because at best I'm wasting resources and at worst I'm hurting my hunt. There is a fulcrum, a tipping point where your work goes from helping to hurting. Took me some time to understand that and I'm still often unsure of just where that point lies.

XCR-2

Time to buy a sawmill!
From what I've seen it looks like it only got the ones that were rotten on the inside so logs wouldn't be worth anything. There all basically in a line so I think a small tornado may have came through.

BSK

I realizing burning is the best way to restart the regrowth process, but considering how difficult it would be to get all the equipment in to make firebreaks and how steep the terrain is, I'm seriously considering aerially spraying some of my timbered areas to knock them back. I checked into it and it's not as expensive as I thought it would be. The question is, will the spraying company be willing to do smaller acreages (say 20 acres)?

DoubleRidge

I realizing burning is the best way to restart the regrowth process, but considering how difficult it would be to get all the equipment in to make firebreaks and how steep the terrain is
I too have concerns about attempting a burn, especially with limited manpower and for me having limited experience with controlled burning period....so i met with the TN Forestry Dept and asked questions and I was told $45 per acre and thats their equipment, manpower and experience. Also 10 acre minimum...or the way he put it was $450 minimum which includes the first 10 acres....so I've considered having them do one 10 or 15 acre burn unit...and I tag along, watch and learn...gain experience and most of all confidence....Then the hope would be, in the years to follow, that I could create two or three more burn units which would allow us to rotate and burn each unit every three to four years.
The one surprise to me was when he said that they are close to one year out on the waiting list...and im sure this weather is extending that wait time.
The hang up for us is the proposed Cumberland gas line project which will go through our property...we're waiting to see if or when that construction process will be completed....but after thats settled I'd like to work with the Forestry Dept and start developing burn units.....Zero doubt at $45 per acre the tonnage of forage generated from a burn unit would far surpass any food plot we can plant...but i would continue to plant food plots...enjoy the process...but a patchwork of burn units would not only add tremendous amounts of forage but also add some great diversity to the property.
As far as aerial spray application...I've seen it done on utility line right of ways before and it was effective...but the drift did kill some trees that were not in the easement and that did not go well....many years ago i spoke with the vegetation manager at TVA and asked about future aerial applications and he said they had stepped back from that process due to the number of complaints they received....but they may be able to provide some information on the process....but just like steep terrain is a challenge for burning....I'd imagine it would also be a challenge for accurate aireal application as well? But thats just an assumption.

BSK

I too have concerns about attempting a burn, especially with limited manpower and for me having limited experience with controlled burning period....so i met with the TN Forestry Dept and asked questions and I was told $45 per acre and thats their equipment, manpower and experience. Also 10 acre minimum...or the way he put it was $450 minimum which includes the first 10 acres....so I've considered having them do one 10 or 15 acre burn unit...and I tag along, watch and learn...gain experience and most of all confidence....Then the hope would be, in the years to follow, that I could create two or three more burn units which would allow us to rotate and burn each unit every three to four years.
The one surprise to me was when he said that they are close to one year out on the waiting list...and im sure this weather is extending that wait time.
The hang up for us is the proposed Cumberland gas line project which will go through our property...we're waiting to see if or when that construction process will be completed....but after thats settled I'd like to work with the Forestry Dept and start developing burn units.....Zero doubt at $45 per acre the tonnage of forage generated from a burn unit would far surpass any food plot we can plant...but i would continue to plant food plots...enjoy the process...but a patchwork of burn units would not only add tremendous amounts of forage but also add some great diversity to the property.
As far as aerial spray application...I've seen it done on utility line right of ways before and it was effective...but the drift did kill some trees that were not in the easement and that did not go well....many years ago i spoke with the vegetation manager at TVA and asked about future aerial applications and he said they had stepped back from that process due to the number of complaints they received....but they may be able to provide some information on the process....but just like steep terrain is a challenge for burning....I'd imagine it would also be a challenge for accurate aireal application as well? But thats just an assumption.
Yup, TN Forestry is doing a great job, when they can get to a job. One of my clients is using them for burning, and when they burn, they do a really good job. However, finding the right days to burn has vastly limited when they can work. My client has a long list of places that need burning, but TN Forestry never can get them done. My client is now years behind schedule on his burns.

Drift of aerial spray can be a problem, as can steep terrain, but losing a few surrounding trees doesn't concern me. We've got plenty of oak trees. In fact, the cuts I want sprayed have standing trees in them, and I know they'll be killed (we cut down to 10" DBH, which left isolated trees). But I looked at the areas aerially sprayed on my client's property, and two years after, it's a smorgasbord of deer food and cover. Honestly, even more impressive than when the cut first regrew after timber removal (and I don't really know why).

Again, if fire were an easy option, I would choose fire. But it's not. So the next easiest is aerial spraying.

Yeah, TVA no longer does aerial spraying because of the drift. They now maintain all of the Right-of-Ways with 4-man backpack spraying crews. I've talked to the crews on two different occasions as they sprayed the ROWs that run across my place. Well, "talk" isn't quite right as they don't speak much English (all Central Americans).

BSK

After years of cutting patches of timber to produce cover, and then watching those patches rapidly grow out of the cover stage (around 7-10 years), requiring more timber to be cut, I've eventually realized I'm just going to have to restart the regrowth process in the same areas. Otherwise, I'll eventually cut through all of my best timber. And although "big woods" mature timber isn't the greatest wildlife habitat, it does have value. Fire is the "easy" answer, but not easy in practice.

DoubleRidge

They now maintain all of the Right-of-Ways with 4-man backpack spraying crews. I've talked to the crews on two different occasions as they sprayed the ROWs that run across my place. Well, "talk" isn't quite right as they don't speak much English (all Central Americans).
Yeah...4 years ago we worked with our Forester on the application process for NRCS cost share to do hack-n-squirt....and once approved the crew he subcontracted was Guatemalan. One Team Leader with 15 man crew working in a grid formation. Acres per hour. Amazing what they can cover in a day. But without the grant money that project would not have been possible for our budget.....I've also checked on grant programs for controlled burning and there are cost share opportunities but you can only apply every so many years for assistance.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Early successional growth will provide better cover, bedding, nesting opportunities, and tonnage per acre than any food plot. This type of management has the ability to provide year round benefits.
Absolutely true....totally agree....and finding cost effective and creative ways to create early successional growth is an interesting conversation.

Latest posts