Acorns and food plot usage

BSK

Earlier in the season, I was perplexed by the fact acorns were pouring out of the trees, yet deer were on my plots daily. Haven't seen that before. Usually, once good acorns fall, deer are off the plots, and 95% of their diet is acorns. However, in the last week or so, deer are almost completely off the plots. In addition, it's as if we've had a second acorn fall. We had trees just dump acorns mid-October, then quit. Yet since the cold weather hit, acorns again began pouring out of the trees and have done so since then almost continuously.

I'm beginning to wonder, considering we had a lot of hot, wet weather after the first acorn dump, and I noticed many of those acorns almost immediately went to root that the deer just weren't eating them much, hence food plot usage stayed high. The acorns falling now have not gone to root and deer are all over them and out of the plots. But I've never seen this "double drop" of acorns before, especially from the same species (White Oak).

JCDEERMAN

Great observation. I have noticed the exact same thing, but just haven't put it into words. Makes perfect sense. Acorns are still pouring in my area - whites and reds.

tellico4x4

Spot I hunted yesterday morning was covered up in white oak acorns, didn't see any sprouting. Suspect wind last night & rain today will put a lot more on ground as well as getting rid of alot of leaves. Still have only seen 1 red oak that had acorns so December should see a lot of plot usage for us.

Chief44

Earlier in the season, I was perplexed by the fact acorns were pouring out of the trees, yet deer were on my plots daily. Haven't seen that before. Usually, once good acorns fall, deer are off the plots, and 95% of their diet is acorns. However, in the last week or so, deer are almost completely off the plots. In addition, it's as if we've had a second acorn fall. We had trees just dump acorns mid-October, then quit. Yet since the cold weather hit, acorns again began pouring out of the trees and have done so since then almost continuously.

I'm beginning to wonder, considering we had a lot of hot, wet weather after the first acorn dump, and I noticed many of those acorns almost immediately went to root that the deer just weren't eating them much, hence food plot usage stayed high. The acorns falling now have not gone to root and deer are all over them and out of the plots. But I've never seen this "double drop" of acorns before, especially from the same species (White Oak).
I'm glad you posted this because I have noticed the same thing. When the first bunch of acorns hit the ground, I figured my plots were done. Then a couple weeks ago deer started showing back up in the plots. They hit my plots pretty regular but have disappeared again for the most part. I assumed it might have something to do with the rut starting to kick in and part of it may but they still got to eat. Then while hunting first of this week, I was hearing a lot of fresh acorns dropping. I did a little scouting around and also found acorns that have gone to root. I also have never seen this so early in the year. Interesting to say the least.

BSK

I'm glad you posted this because I have noticed the same thing. When the first bunch of acorns hit the ground, I figured my plots were done. Then a couple weeks ago deer started showing back up in the plots. They hit my plots pretty regular but have disappeared again for the most part. I assumed it might have something to do with the rut starting to kick in and part of it may but they still got to eat. Then while hunting first of this week, I was hearing a lot of fresh acorns dropping. I did a little scouting around and also found acorns that have gone to root. I also have never seen this so early in the year. Interesting to say the least.
Generally, I tell hunters White Oak acorns are used by deer until they go to root around Thanksgiving. I've never seen so many rooted acorns so early as I did this year in October. That first "batch" of acorns that fell in mid-October went to root incredibly fast.