Saddle Hunting

JCDEERMAN

Have you looked at a Versa Aider? Handy compact aider that stays on your foot. Started out the season with one and really liked it, but ordered a 3 step aider and have been using it. The 3 step aider allows me 21' with 3 sticks.
Ok - I've looked into these now. I definitely like the idea of only taking 3 steps in with the 3 step aider to get up over 20'. Did you get yours from Backwoods Mobile Gear? Also, the one you have....is it titled "Loop over top stand - off"? I like that, so you can easily grab it and put it up on the next step

Shanman

Yes, purchased from BMG.
It is the loop over top step too. With the loop over step aider, it hangs away from the tree more and helps in placing your boot on the step. As stated before, I would advice against the 20" spacing. I'm 6'4" and at ground level can place the top step of first stick at 7', that's standing straight up. After the first stick you can't reach as high because your body isn't as straight leaning back in the lineman's rope. I've found that with the 20" spacing the bottom step of the aider will almost touch the top step of the previous stick or at least very close. 18" spacing would be ideal i honestly believe, not to mention that stepping down into the aider would be easier also.

Mescalero

Here's the thing. For me.
I like my Summit climber, but it gets heavy and some mornings it can be loud. But I watch the YouTube videos of the saddle hunters and it's bright day light, in short sleeves, with all their buddies around demonstrating how easy it is. All I see are all of the damn ropes. And climbing sticks aren't any quieter than my climber. I've been tempted, but not sold yet.

JCDEERMAN

I'll go with the 18" 3 step. Good recommendation and appreciate the help. I'm 6'0 and can definitely see how things can get compromised when your way up in the tree LOL, especially in the dark.

Shanman

I like my Summit climber, but it gets heavy and some mornings it can be loud. But I watch the YouTube videos of the saddle hunters and it's bright day light, in short sleeves, with all their buddies around demonstrating how easy it is. All I see are all of the damn ropes. And climbing sticks aren't any quieter than my climber. I've been tempted, but not sold yet.
I'm 51 and the only climber I've ever owned or used was the old Loggy Bayou climbers, never could find anything lighter. Tried the hang on stands and sticks, still heavier than I liked. This season was my first in the saddle and I can honestly say I'm done with stands, hate i didn't try it years ago. Is it for everyone? I'm sure it's not, but for those willing to give it a try, they will probably be surprised.

JCDEERMAN

I've heard it's a process and takes some getting used to. I plan on practicing over the summer to get all my steps and techniques down, locating good trees in specific locations, etc....even at that, I can't see myself hunting this method in bibs and a big jacket. For me, it will probably be for bow and muzzy (or 30+ degrees), atleast starting out

Shanman

I'm using the wild edge steps with a knaider swaider. The stepps take a lot of practice, a lot of people give it up, but once you get it down, you are good. I can get about 18' with 4 steps/4 pounds that way, I'm short legged. They just pack easier for me, just put them in my pack.
I thought hard about those and really wanted to go that route, but I wear 14 Mucks and figured double step sticks were a better fit.

PickettSFHunter

I thought hard about those and really wanted to go that route, but I wear 14 Mucks and figured double step sticks were a better fit.
I'll tell you what is getting my interest way up....these 1lb sticks from Tethrd or some of the carbon fiber sticks that are similar in weight. I may have to try those out after selling an arm and leg!

Shanman

I'll tell you what is getting my interest way up....these 1lb sticks from Tethrd or some of the carbon fiber sticks that are similar in weight. I may have to try those out after selling an arm and leg!
Tethrd might have a big hit with their new sticks, they look great, time will tell.

Bushape

Was doing a tad bit of research on the Jx3 models and their website has them listed for $395. That includes tether rope, lineman's rope, and bridge strap. Is that all you need or is there 8 other items to purchase separately? I know the price of your sticks and the platform if you choose to use one (video I watched the guy appeared to be using his steps). I ask because I was under the impression these things went for $800+.

Hduke86

I'm using the wild edge steps with a knaider swaider. The stepps take a lot of practice, a lot of people give it up, but once you get it down, you are good. I can get about 18' with 4 steps/4 pounds that way, I'm short legged. They just pack easier for me, just put them in my pack.
I've got some Stepps and wanted to try the knaider/swaider combo cause I believe with 4 stepps I could easily get 20' being 6'1" and I like how they pack but dang it I didn't get about 12' high and didn't get one set good and it shifted under me and had me clawing at the tree like a cat but I'll have to give it another go.

X-Tennessean

Was doing a tad bit of research on the Jx3 models and their website has them listed for $395. That includes tether rope, lineman's rope, and bridge strap. Is that all you need or is there 8 other items to purchase separately? I know the price of your sticks and the platform if you choose to use one (video I watched the guy appeared to be using his steps). I ask because I was under the impression these things went for $800+.
With the JX3 you dont necessarily need anything other than your climbing method, sticks or SRT. Most people will use a couple steps (squirrel steps, tree hopper etc) once at height to give footing in order to maneuver around the tree for weak side shots or whatever.
The JX3 is very comfortable for sure but heavier than a traditional "diaper" saddle.

PickettSFHunter

I've got some Stepps and wanted to try the knaider/swaider combo cause I believe with 4 stepps I could easily get 20' being 6'1" and I like how they pack but dang it I didn't get about 12' high and didn't get one set good and it shifted under me and had me clawing at the tree like a cat but I'll have to give it another go.
Make sure your are picking up on the step after getting the "knot" right. Pick up toward the top of the tree and then cam over. Took me a lot of practice.

Latest posts