Saddle Debacle (couple questions)

Roadracer6

So after yrs of using a lone wolf hand climber, lock ons, and most recently a combo of handclimber and Novix hang and hunt style lock on, I'm debating on trying the saddle for my long walks. I have all the fancy backpacks/carrying mechanisms for my current stands, but am still not happy with hauling this stuff 1-2 miles on public land as I typically have another backpack with all my clothes in it.

After paying attention to how I use my current stands, I'm also a bit concerned one of these days I'm going to forget to be tied off while climbing into my stand and falling. This is the hardest thing for me to admit as I consider myself a very safe hunter, but have had a handful of things happen randomly that are hard to explain.
When I look at the saddle, you essentially have to be tied off all the time otherwise you are screwed. I'm a widowed father of a 13 yr old girl so I cant live with that. I've been reading (a LOT) and have narrowed it down to either thr cruzr or tethrd setup. I have 2 lone wolf hand climbers and I was curious if anybody on here has used the seat as a platform. Seems like it would be bigger than the others, a tad heavier but definitely more room. I have tethrd skelators that I like a lot so don't intend to ditch the sticks and only use the seat as a climbing mechanism/platform combo. I'm also looking for someplace I can try before I buy if there are any local places to Rutherford/Davidson you guys know of. I'm also looking for a trey style to mount on the tree for a hot cup of soup (if it ever gets to be as cold as it did last Dec that is). That's the only way I can handle the below 10 windchill lol.
Thanks guys

ImThere

Yes, people use the hand climber as a climbing method and platform.
Not sure where you can try some of the saddles at but Tethrd is in Columbia. I believe they opened a store? Not sure but I think if you stopped in they'd help you. Get away from all the hype they are good guys that love saddle hunting. Ernie and Greg are very knowledgeable. Adrian from this site works there.

Jim Fred

I would highly recommend driving to Cookeville and visiting the Cruzr office. I was in a similar place last year and wanted to try before buying. I called them to ask questions and they told me to come on in. They were just awesome help and even have a mock tree setup In the office to walk you through the entire setup. They spent more than an hour answering my questions and just talking. Highly recommend them!

philsanchez76

Ive been saddle hunting for 5 seasons now and I can attest that it definitely is safer than what I was doing before. Im always tied into that tree with 2 ropes; my linesman helps position me and then I move my tether up the tree as I go (because I just use a one sticking method). A lot of guys that use 3-4 sticks to climb only use their lineman rope until they get to height. You can still have a stick kick out and you can still slide down the tree. That's why I recommend also using the separate tether while climbing. Because you will not be able to fall during a kick out or if one of your other ropes fails for some reason. You just have to think about all your moves more with a saddle. I think you'll find it checks those boxes for you.

Gravey

I'm in southern Rutherford (Christiana) and have the Cruzr if you want to try it. Might be interested in taking one of those Lone Wolf tops off your hands if you decide to part with one. Just getting into it myself and have yet to hunt from one. I have the skeletor sticks too.

Roadracer6

Thanks guys for the offers and info! Gravey, I'll let you know if I decide to part with 1 of them. I'm pretty sure I'll keep them both because I know they aren't making them any longer. The original one I purchased used and a weld snapped on it while going up a tree on the platform bracket (scary as sh!t) so I purchased a new one a while back.

Flintlocksforme

I sold my lone wolf climbing stand on eBay and bought a lone wolf platform from an individual. Trees I can climb with a climber I just use a climbing stand. Twisted trees with limbs are good for sticks and aiders. I have the custom gear modifications cobra and a bad back but find the saddle comfortable and I am much more alert in the tree than sitting on a seat

Latest posts