Tree Saddle Hunting Question

Iroquois

I have used climbers and lock ons for a long time. I'm thinking about trying a tree saddle. I would like to hear some feed back of some tree saddle users. I'd like to know ease of use, weight, set up time, comfort level and anything else you would like to add of why you like them. I thank you all in advance and look forward to your comments.

Flintlocksforme

Just started my saddle journey this year. Great when you can't find a straight tree. Or don't want to saw limbs off. I am much more alert. I have the Custom Gear Modifications Cobra. More comfortable than sitting to me. Bad back but saddle is comfortable. I use sticks but there are plenty of ways to climb.

Iroquois

Just started my saddle journey this year. Great when you can't find a straight tree. Or don't want to saw limbs off. I am much more alert. I have the Custom Gear Modifications Cobra. More comfortable than sitting to me. Bad back but saddle is comfortable. I use sticks but there are plenty of ways to climb.
Thanks for the info. How's the weight of the saddle and ease of use? Thanks.

Flintlocksforme

Saddle is the lightest part. Picture of a recent set up. 4 full size lone wolf sticks and a lone wolf platform

Attachments

• IMG_5895.jpeg
    IMG_5895.jpeg
    730.4 KB · Views: 83

Dumbluck

I don't hunt out of anything else now. It took some time to get used to but I have always been a very mobile hunter. I scout and then hunt constantly. I walked over a mile today scouting toward my afternoon set up, that I had scouted last week. The positives out weigh the negatives once you figure it out and how to implement it. I can scout super thick cover, couldn't do that hauling a stand. I can get in almost any tree.

I do not use sticks. I think that defeates the purpose for me. I'm packing a Shikar from Out on a Limb and use it as a one stick. I have about 60' of rope and I rappel out of the tree when I'm done. Setting up takes me about 10-15 minutes depending upon the tree I'm climbing. Getting down and fully packing up takes less than 5 minutes. If I think I'll hunt that tree again I will leave some paracord up so next time in I pull my main line up and then use a hand climber to ascend, which only takes a few minutes to be set up.

Unless your already have a stand set up this is the quietest way to climb a tree without a doubt.

My whole set up weighs probably less than 10 lbs

I actually gave my neighbor my climber to use this season because I have not used it in several years.

Iroquois

I don't hunt out of anything else now. It took some time to get used to but I have always been a very mobile hunter. I scout and then hunt constantly. I walked over a mile today scouting toward my afternoon set up, that I had scouted last week. The positives out weigh the negatives once you figure it out and how to implement it. I can scout super thick cover, couldn't do that hauling a stand. I can get in almost any tree.

I do not use sticks. I think that defeates the purpose for me. I'm packing a Shikar from Out on a Limb and use it as a one stick. I have about 60' of rope and I rappel out of the tree when I'm done. Setting up takes me about 10-15 minutes depending upon the tree I'm climbing. Getting down and fully packing up takes less than 5 minutes. If I think I'll hunt that tree again I will leave some paracord up so next time in I pull my main line up and then use a hand climber to ascend, which only takes a few minutes to be set up.

Unless your already have a stand set up this is the quietest way to climb a tree without a doubt.

My whole set up weighs probably less than 10 lbs

I actually gave my neighbor my climber to use this season because I have not used it in several years.
Thanks for the info, extremely helpful! I had to look up the Shikar stick, looks like great quality with positive reviews. Never thought about rapalling, a new perspective to think about for sure. Again, thanks for the insight.

Dumbluck

Thanks for the info, extremely helpful! I had to look up the Shikar stick, looks like great quality with positive reviews. Never thought about rapalling, a new perspective to think about for sure. Again, thanks for the insight.
There are lots of good videos on YouTube. You'll just have to figure out what method works best for you.

Rope management, and obviously safety were my biggest obstacles. I do feel safer one sticking because I am always tethered to the tree. I throw my lineman rope around the tree when I move my tether rope up so I am constantly strapped in even when just moving a rope up the tree.

This is about my 3rd or 4th year fully saddle only hunting and I'm extremely comfortable going up and down a tree at this point.

One negative about a saddle is my knees do hurt a little. I wear Sitka pants with built in kneepads and I do have a pad I occasionally get out and strap around the tree. I also have a Dryad which is attached to my saddle and on those really long all day sits which is often for me, I deploy the Dryad to get off my knees and feet and if I'm not careful I'll fall asleep in it.

Iroquois

There are lots of good videos on YouTube. You'll just have to figure out what method works best for you.

Rope management, and obviously safety were my biggest obstacles. I do feel safer one sticking because I am always tethered to the tree. I throw my lineman rope around the tree when I move my tether rope up so I am constantly strapped in even when just moving a rope up the tree.

This is about my 3rd or 4th year fully saddle only hunting and I'm extremely comfortable going up and down a tree at this point.

One negative about a saddle is my knees do hurt a little. I wear Sitka pants with built in kneepads and I do have a pad I occasionally get out and strap around the tree. I also have a Dryad which is attached to my saddle and on those really long all day sits which is often for me, I deploy the Dryad to get off my knees and feet and if I'm not careful I'll fall asleep in it.
I've seen some good videos that were informative and some that were so so. I appreciate your feedback as it's always good to hear from an actual user. My concerns are safety as well but also include weight, ease of use and quietness. As I get a little older I still want to be able to enjoy the hunt. The more information I receive the more I realize this can be pretty involved. Your insights and information have been very helpful, thanks again.

WTNBowHunter

A friend of mine of mentioning his saddle setup recently and got me thinking. I'm similar to what was mentioned before, plenty of sticks & lock-ons setup and a climber when I need to move. The saddle idea is interesting for sure, I would likely try using my regular stick ladders and pack platform in/out to start. What manufacturers would you stay away from? May be personal preference like most other things hunting related but always want to ask.

Latest posts