Saddle Hunting

bowhunterfanatic

I know there have been a ton of threads posted about this, but I haven't been too interested until here recently. This whole season and part of last season I've been carrying the same Summit climber in and out of the woods on almost every hunt. In years past even when I hunted from a climber I typically just left it on the tree because I have a plethora of stands. The reason a saddle never really piqued my interest is because I didn't like the thought of having to carry sticks in and out with me on every hunt, but now that I've gotten used to bringing the climber in and out I'm thinking a saddle would give me a lot more options and probably conceal me a little better as well. I'm not super concerned with cost as I'm a buy once cry once type of guy and plan on selling a few stands to help fund the purchase.
So, where does a total noob get started and what are some must haves?

morgancountry

Go to saddlehunter.com everything you could ever want to know is there. If you hunt trees that a climbable with a climber, look into the lone wolf hand climber seat to use as a platform.

ImThere

I'm not sure where your located but try to find someone close to you that saddle hunts and check out their gear.
you need a climbing method, something to stand on ring of steps or platform, saddle.
saddlehunter.com is the place for information

tree_ghost

Lots of advantages to using a saddle. It's not for everyone, but for some of us it's the golden standard...visit the sites mentioned above and prepare your wallet for a good pummeling!

PickettSFHunter

G2outdoors on YouTube is great. My climbing system is only about 4.5 pounds. I tend to use wild edge steps with a knaider/swaider the most but a lot of people aren't into that. Tethrd has 1 pound sticks now that should be available for next year. Everything is pretty pricey, I bet it took me $800 in gear to get going but I don't even use a climber anymore unless I have a
Spot that is a very short walk and I just leave it there for weeks.

Shanman

Tons of youtube videos that cover the subject and SH forum is great. First season in the saddle for me and I honestly don't see going back to a tree stand, it's so nice walking in without all the weight and clanking sounds. Keep your ladder stands and climbing sticks, they are great for presets.

swd

Another vote for G2's YouTube channel and for saddle hunting in general. I started last season and love it. So much easier getting in and out of the woods without the climber.

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Agree...G2 Outdoors (YouTube) and saddle hunter forum. I've always carried a climber in and out as well. The mobility aspect of the saddle got me try it. This is my 1st season with it and it does allow you to be more mobile and not have to find that straight tree. Good luck with your endeavor.

EJ1

I tried out several saddles and the Cruzer XC was by far the most comfortable and they are made locally in Cookeville.
I'm new to saddle and wanted a bigger platform to feel a little more comfortable on so I went with the Trophy Line Mission and it's great.
I use Hawk 20" sticks with amsteel dasiy chains I made.
I live in Murfreesboro if you are close and want to try it out

ImThere

It's a wonderful time to be a saddle hunter! Lol up to a few years ago we had to make a saddle or find an old trophyline! They have made leaps and bounds in the last 4-5 years!!

X-Tennessean

Tough time to get into it, EVERYBODY is wanting/getting into saddle hunting therefore it is hard getting the equipment you want or need. The wait time for new purchases is several weeks. If you are on Facebook, saddle hunter classifieds, saddle hunter nation, JX3 owners and several other pages.

bowhunterfanatic

I tried out several saddles and the Cruzer XC was by far the most comfortable and they are made locally in Cookeville.
I'm new to saddle and wanted a bigger platform to feel a little more comfortable on so I went with the Trophy Line Mission and it's great.
I use Hawk 20" sticks with amsteel dasiy chains I made.
I live in Murfreesboro if you are close and want to try it out
Thanks for the kind offer but I'm a pretty good piece from you.

whwood21

Didn't see it above but msg have missed it, there is a saddle hunting group on "the books", Facebook. Lots of knowledge in that group and also some smart a's as well but overall good group. Personally love my diy saddle and rock harness, haven't had any discomfort for long sits

Wolfbayne

Saddle hunting has been the best thing I have switched to. Might sound strange but it brings back the intimate nature of the hunt. Allows more maneuverability with terrain, wind, glassing, etc.
I run a tethrd saddle with hawk sticks modified with rope mod. Easy up and down. Easy movement through the woods. I believe my entire load out is less than 12 pounds and that gets lighter as I drink water.
I'm in Montgomery co and am more than willing to share how my setup works for my hunts.

Good Luck!

JCDEERMAN

Yep definitely check out G2 on YouTube. Greg has some great information.

this is my setup from last year, only thing different this year is the climbing sticks and I switched to a Phantom saddle.

I'm going to give this a try. For me, it's between the mantis and the phantom. Why did you switch to the phantom?

philsanchez76

Saddles are indeed the tops. All my buddies at hunting camp had climbers except me. We scouted and found this amazing area a large 8 was frequenting, but I was the only one who could make the long and thick hike to access it. All the climbers were getting hung on limbs and being loud. Just a cool example of what the saddle can afford you. Just know pretty much everyone has to get into "saddle hunting shape." This means that no matter how comfortable your saddle is, for the first few sits you will have slight bruising on your hips as you are not used to putting all your body weight on those areas for long periods. But don't worry, it goes away fairly quickly. Just wanted you to be aware.

TN Larry

I have been thinking hard on a saddle this year. I always pack in a summit viper and it gets pretty darn heavy on a cold morning with all of my clothes strapped to the pack. I tried the mini viper, but at 6'1" the comfort level wasn't there.

Here are a couple of concerns:
- A couple of places that I hunt, I need to be 25' to 30'. I think most saddle set ups get you to 20'.
- Where do you put your gun? I always have mine laid across my stand for easy access.

Just curious and something that I am thinking on...……..

Latest posts