Saddle Hunting

Hduke86

I have been thinking hard on a saddle this year. I always pack in a summit viper and it gets pretty darn heavy on a cold morning with all of my clothes strapped to the pack. I tried the mini viper, but at 6'1" the comfort level wasn't there.

Here are a couple of concerns:
- A couple of places that I hunt, I need to be 25' to 30'. I think most saddle set ups get you to 20'.
- Where do you put your gun? I always have mine laid across my stand for easy access.

Just curious and something that I am thinking on...……..
If going to 30' up I'd say climbing spikes would be the ticket or Stepp ladder steps with the knaider/swaider combo. I'm 6'1" but 150# and I find it great to be able to sit or lean in it. I carry a strap with hooks and hang my gun and small pack from it. I find myself not going as high in a saddle cause I always position myself with the tree between me and the deer. You may need the height just to see more but with some lightweight sticks and a good aider I don't see why you can't get 25-30' if needed. I switched to a Cruzr XC this year made up your way in Cookeville and absolutely love it. You can go to their shop and they will let you try one out to see how you like it and by all means if you go that route get the adjustable amsteel bridge.

UTGrad

Lone Wolf Assault II and sticks for me. I haven't had a desire to hunt out of a saddle yet. I'm not knocking saddle hunting but a lightweight stand and stick set up gets me in some good spots with comfort.

TN Larry

If going to 30' up I'd say climbing spikes would be the ticket or Stepp ladder steps with the knaider/swaider combo. I'm 6'1" but 150# and I find it great to be able to sit or lean in it. I carry a strap with hooks and hang my gun and small pack from it. I find myself not going as high in a saddle cause I always position myself with the tree between me and the deer. You may need the height just to see more but with some lightweight sticks and a good aider I don't see why you can't get 25-30' if needed. I switched to a Cruzr XC this year made up your way in Cookeville and absolutely love it. You can go to their shop and they will let you try one out to see how you like it and by all means if you go that route get the adjustable amsteel bridge.
Thanks. I started following Cruzr on FB and wondered if you could go by to try their stuff out.

In terms of height, I need it to see in a couple of places I hunt. I want to get rid of the climber weight but not willing to give up the height in a couple of places in terms of being able to see.

DRSJ35

It would be nice to be liter. My summit viper sd is 20lbs. Which is much lighter than all my old summit climbers.but the add ons its a bit of weight. I use the military molle back pack straps and kidney belt. Which takes a ton of weight off your shoulders. And puts most weight around your waist then shoulders. But would love to go even lighter.

Hduke86

Thanks. I started following Cruzr on FB and wondered if you could go by to try their stuff out.

In terms of height, I need it to see in a couple of places I hunt. I want to get rid of the climber weight but not willing to give up the height in a couple of places in terms of being able to see.
Just give them a call and they're super helpful

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I have been thinking hard on a saddle this year. I always pack in a summit viper and it gets pretty darn heavy on a cold morning with all of my clothes strapped to the pack. I tried the mini viper, but at 6'1" the comfort level wasn't there.

Here are a couple of concerns:
- A couple of places that I hunt, I need to be 25' to 30'. I think most saddle set ups get you to 20'.
- Where do you put your gun? I always have mine laid across my stand for easy access.

Just curious and something that I am thinking on...……..
On private ground, I use a hand drill and carbon bolts. The sky is the limit as long as you take enough bolts. The drill/bolts weigh very little and are really compact. Set up and take down time is extremely fast if you factor in the whole process of going up and down. I use a screw in gear holder and hang my gun and backpack on it.
Before next season though, I plan to be one sticking and rappelling.

Hduke86

On private ground, I use a hand drill and carbon bolts. The sky is the limit as long as you take enough bolts. The drill/bolts weigh very little and are really compact. Set up and take down time is extremely fast if you factor in the whole process of going up and down. I use a screw in gear holder and hang my gun and backpack on it.
Before next season though, I plan to be one sticking and rappelling.
I plan on playing with the one stick/rappelling setup this summer

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
I have been buying items to try 1 stick climbing and rapelling back down during the off season. I currently have 3 sticks and a platform getting my feet to about 17ft. Currently my bag weighs 24 pounds. That is everything i would need for an all day sit and probably stuff i don't need.
So hopefully 1 sticking i can climb to whatever elevation will be best and my pack should be under 16 pounds easy i think.

X-Tennessean

I have a couple different setups I have been playing with.
A JX3 (like sitting in a recliner) and Latitude Method metal less (2 panel).
I also have messed with SRT, which easier than I thought it was going to be!!
My goal is to one stick and rappel or SRT with pre sets.
The Madrock Safeguard is

JCDEERMAN

I plan on starting to hunt from a saddle next season. I'm slowly accumulating the gear. Bought the 4 pack of Hawk 20" sticks from midway on a flash sale for $99 and plan on buying a 20" aider for each to get me up to 20 couple feet. I had fun this morning walking out of the woods looking at all the trees I could climb and hunt that my summit climber wont. I asked for the CRUZR saddle for Christmas

Shanman

I have a couple different setups I have been playing with.
A JX3 (like sitting in a recliner) and Latitude Method metal less (2 panel).
I also have messed with SRT, which easier than I thought it was going to be!!
My goal is to one stick and rappel or SRT with pre sets.
The Madrock Safeguard is
What do you think about the Method? Hopefully they come out with an XL for next season, the email I received from them indicated that might be the case.

Shanman

I plan on starting to hunt from a saddle next season. I'm slowly accumulating the gear. Bought the 4 pack of Hawk 20" sticks from midway on a flash sale for $99 and plan on buying a 20" aider for each to get me up to 20 couple feet. I had fun this morning walking out of the woods looking at all the trees I could climb and hunt that my summit climber wont. I asked for the CRUZR saddle for Christmas
Have you looked at a Versa Aider? Handy compact aider that stays on your foot. Started out the season with one and really liked it, but ordered a 3 step aider and have been using it. The 3 step aider allows me 21' with 3 sticks.

Attachments

• 20201117_153236.jpg
    20201117_153236.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91

X-Tennessean

What do you think about the Method? Hopefully they come out with an XL for next season, the email I received from them indicated that might be the case.
Honestly have not played with it much to give a true judgment.
I am a size 38 and yes it is tight but working on getting back in a 34 hopefully!!
I do like the Oplux belt and bridge. Need to mess around with it more to see how its truly gonna sit and function 1 sticking.

JCDEERMAN

Have you looked at a Versa Aider? Handy compact aider that stays on your foot. Started out the season with one and really liked it, but ordered a 3 step aider and have been using it. The 3 step aider allows me 21' with 3 sticks.
I'll definitely look into the versa aider. Are those 20" sticks in your pic? I've been looking at the single step aiders in the link below to add to each of the 4 steps.

Shanman

17" Shikars, Multi Aider is 20" spacing on steps. Honestly wish I would have went 18" instead of 20" for the aider, 20" is a longer step than most think. One thing to point out is that the Versa and Multi aiders go with you as you climb, nothing left hanging off the step to move around in the wind and draw a deer's attention.

Shanman

Latest posts