Recommend a good field dressing knife

Tenntrapper

Guess it would really depend on your budget.
Rule of thumb...the easier it is to sharpen, the faster it will get dull. There are steels out there now that will handle many deer without so much as a touch up....but when they need sharpened, you're talking diamonds and some skill.
I've went through a bunch of knives over the years. If I had to pick just one...the one that impressed me the most, cut through deer like warm butter....that would be a Bark River. Mine were in 3v steel, but they have options. Expect to pay 2-300 $$ depending on model.
LT Wright makes great knives as well. Usually not as much $$ as the BR. Both are made in the US.
The US made Bucks are 420hc steel....not the best, most modern steel, but Buck has mastered the heat treat for it, and they are good knives...and pretty easy to sharpen.
If a Gerber is something you're considering, look on eBay for a vintage (80s era), I think they were a better knife back then.
The Amazon/Chinese knife (piranta knockoff) is a handy knife...but I wasn't impressed with the blades...not very sharp, and hung up while breasting a turkey. Look on Amazon or Midwayusa for the piranta #70 blades...much better in my opinion, and they fit.
Make sure you get in on @Shag's karma...he makes great knives...I've got a couple of them.
If you have more questions...feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Black Titan

I'm considering a buck 192 vanguard with wood handle.

Reason being, the more I thought about it, the more I want something classic, classy, nice looking and nice performing, because I want a knife that I will take on all my hunting trips, and eventually be taking my son with me on those trips, and I want something nice to be able to pass down to him, to make him proud to have his daddys knife on his side when he goes on hunting without me after I've left this world.

BT

knightrider

I'm considering a buck 192 vanguard with wood handle.

Reason being, the more I thought about it, the more I want something classic, classy, nice looking and nice performing, because I want a knife that I will take on all my hunting trips, and eventually be taking my son with me on those trips, and I want something nice to be able to pass down to him, to make him proud to have his daddys knife on his side when he goes on hunting without me after I've left this world.

BT
Wood handles are classy but be very careful they get slick in a hurry!

FLTENNHUNTER1

Amazon product ASIN B004N0DCKI
Made in USA

1699054636768.png

david k.

I've used the same Bucklite for well over 30 years on deer, elk, pig and antelope. Its a lighter version of the 110 but in my opinion those (the 110 or the Bucklite) or the Buck 102 if you prefer a fixed blade, are about the perfect knives for deer sized game. I have a Buck 105 that I inherited from my father-in-law and its a great knife as well but a little bigger than necessary for deer.

grill-n-man2

Any good sharp blade that's comfortable in hand ( fixed or fold ) will get the insides out but for opening the skin the outdoor edge Zip Blade is the best I've ever seen or used. It's got a blunt tip like EMT shears and all you got to do is make a slit to get it in and run it from one end to the other. Almost impossible to cut guts or stomach

Gravey

My uncle bought me and my brother a 3-blade from Cabela's when I was probably 15 or so and I'm 50. It's cleaned it's fair share of deer and turkeys. I love it but was always a pain to clean because of the folding blades.
IMG_5199.jpeg

I decided to switch to a fixed blade and bought a Morakniv several years ago and liked it ok. Just have to clean it immediately or the blade will start turning.
IMG_5201.jpeg

I like a gut hook but not on the main blade so picked up this cheap Gerber set that has a gut hook and bone saw. Nothing fancy but works ok. Had another gut hook one time and lost it and for the life of me can't remember the name.
IMG_5200.jpeg

My uncle passed away 8 years ago and he had one son who passed away from Covid 2 years ago so my aunt told me and my brother to come look at some of his hunting stuff. Hard to beat an old Buck knife and this one is the 102 so I have it in my pack and hope to clean a deer with it this year
IMG_5202.jpeg

The last one is one I got from @Tenntrapper and the nicest one I own. To me it's almost too pretty to use but if I get the Buck bloody this year and somehow kill 2 (I normally don't) them I'll break it out. It's a White River Small Game. Otherwise it may sit on the shelf til next year.
IMG_5203.jpeg

Last edited:

tanasirivertea

My favorite is the fancy little breakdown kit available from most outdoor retailers. got it for Christmas a few years ago. its got a bone saw, a gutting blade and a razor holder for slicing meat off the bone. second fav is an old soft rubber handled gerber lock blade knife that holds a good edge. I think its blade shape would be considered a skinning knife (l think. maybe I need to watch more Forged In Fire).

tanasirivertea

Any good sharp blade that's comfortable in hand ( fixed or fold ) will get the insides out but for opening the skin the outdoor edge Zip Blade is the best I've ever seen or used. It's got a blunt tip like EMT shears and all you got to do is make a slit to get it in and run it from one end to the other. Almost impossible to cut guts or stomach
I second this! I got a kit from this brand for Christmas that included a bone saw. Killer stuff. Did yours have the razor blade one for slicing and trimming meat off the bone?

Black Titan

My uncle bought me and my brother a 3-blade from Cabela's when I was probably 15 or so and I'm 50. It's cleaned it's fair share of deer and turkeys. I love it but was always a pain to clean because of the folding blades.
View attachment 201944

I decided to switch to a fixed blade and bought a Morakniv several years ago and liked it ok. Just have to clean it immediately or the blade will start turning.
View attachment 201945

I like a gut hook but not on the main blade so picked up this cheap Gerber set that has a gut hook and bone saw. Nothing fancy but works ok. Had another gut hook one time and lost it and for the life of me can't remember the name.
View attachment 201947

My uncle passed away 8 years ago and he had one son who passed away from Covid 2 years ago so my aunt told me and my brother to come look at some of his hunting stuff. Hard to beat an old Buck knife and this one is the 102 so I have it in my pack and hope to clean a deer with it this year
View attachment 201946

The last one is one I got from @Tenntrapper and the nicest one I own. To me it's almost too pretty to use but if I get the Buck bloody this year and somehow kill 2 (I normally don't) them I'll break it out. It's a White River Small Game. Otherwise it may sit on the shelf til next year.
View attachment 201948

That's a nice collection you got! Good looking knives. There's alot of value there beyond the $ amount. That's what I'm hoping my new knife will become one day, for my son.

I plan to have the blade engraved for him. Genesis 27:3 on one side, and maybe Proverbs 1:8 on the other, unless I can find a verse more suiting from a father to a son.

BT

Wolverine72

Ten bucks at waldo buy a hundred blades for five bucks and use it fir every thing and never have to ruin another knife trying to sharpen one😂View attachment 201394View attachment 201395
If you've not tried this already, try picking up some carpet cutting blades to go in that knife handle. Works great as a gut hook. I quarter my deer in the woods and makes the skinning cuts really quite easy. I did this on 3-4 deer a few years back.

That being said, I tried the benchmade hidden canyon fixed blade one time... and I was hooked. That is my go to. I quartered about 8 or 9 deer before sending back to factory for to be resharpened. Did not really need it, but wanted to try the service off season before it did need it.

Latest posts