President's Island Review

UpperTully

That joker is tall for sure. Here's the 8 point my son saw Saturday evening. All he needed was a 1 inch kicker but there was none to be found.
I hate to see a hunter wait 10 years to get drawn for a hunt and have a mature buck like that walk within bow range only to let him walk because he doesn't have 9 points.

If there was a 16 or 18" main beam rule, that would be a dead buck and a successful hunter.

You can thank Mr Hamlington for that nonsense.

Last edited:

Spurhunter

I hate to see a hunter wait 10 years to get drawn for a hunt and have a mature buck like that walk within bow range only to let him walk because he doesn't have 9 points.

If there was a 16 or 18" main beam rule, that would be a dead buck and a successful hunter.

You can thank Mr Hamlington for that nonsense.
It would've been my son's biggest buck ever. The buck stepped behind a tree and Hunter drew his bow back. When the buck stepped out he was 15 yards. Had him at 15 yards at full draw and couldn't let it fly. He was sick.

UpperTully

It would've been my son's biggest buck ever. The buck stepped behind a tree and Hunter drew his bow back. When the buck stepped out he was 15 yards. Had him at 15 yards at full draw and couldn't let it fly. He was sick.
Man I really hate that for him and hate to hear someone missed out on their biggest buck on such a difficult to hunt to draw for.

deerfever

Again my point exactly! Go look at pictures of the deer that have been killed over half or more are not that big or mature. Nothing wrong at all In taking a big mature 8 like that. I hate that for your son. Again we all know the rule when we put in but man I don't understand their point.

fairchaser

The new rule is 20" outside spread. Chris said width is not common in the genetics on the island. He said the racks grow heavy with mass and tall, but not often wide. He was against the rule change but got overruled.
Correct. Not likely to see a wide buck. I picked up a deadhead on my last hunt and it fits that profile. Scored 129+. Heavy but narrow. He was a legal nine point however.

Attachments

• 74E04357-BD94-4439-A911-123EB09541ED.jpeg
    74E04357-BD94-4439-A911-123EB09541ED.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 121

UpperTully

Again my point exactly! Go look at pictures of the deer that have been killed over half or more are not that big or mature. Nothing wrong at all In taking a big mature 8 like that. I hate that for your son. Again we all know the rule when we put in but man I don't understand their point.
If they inserted a main beam rule, more mature bucks will be harvested that will never meet the 9 point / 20" requirement. With the current approach, there is a good amount of smaller 2.5 year olds being killed just by having 9 points.

Last edited:

Spurhunter

If they inserted a main beam rule, more mature bucks will be harvested that will never meet the 9 point / 20" requirement. With the current approach, there is a good amount of smaller 2.5 year olds being killed just by having 9 points.
After my Saturday morning hunt I was thinking if I see a 9 point of any size or age it would probably be my only opportunity to punch a tag, but the fact that it's not a bonus buck would have deterred me from shooting a small buck just to kill a buck on PI.

fairchaser

That's a great question. I wish I knew but your odds are so low right now, you'd be better off hunting your own place. I went with two buddies who also got drawn and after two days, we threw in the towel. I saw one buck from the stand and I wouldn't have shot him even if he was legal. I've been stacking points hoping for a miracle somewhere else will emerge as the go to spot.

wadeelwood

I've posted this on another thread. I hunted it in 2019. I've hunted all over the Midwest and lucky enough to harvest a few big deer.

But with one day of scouting and everyone else scouting and then hunting for three days with a bow it was the best three days I've ever had. I seen 8-10 bucks a day and some true giant deer.

I didn't need to kill something to have a great experience. Hard to kill a big deer in 3 days but it's always hard.

Good luck to everyone getting to hunt this year!!

tonybart55

The reason for the 9 point rule is simple. Most hunters can't score or age a buck on the hoof. I believe they added a width rule that allows a wide buck that may have fewer points. I know it was discussed anyway.
Yea I was just reading it the yesterday after going through and reading this thread. From TWRA:

"Antlered deer must have at least 9 antler point, 1 inch or longer, or a 20 inch minimum main beam outside spread."

tonybart55

Yea I was just reading it the yesterday after going through and reading this thread. From TWRA:

"Antlered deer must have at least 9 antler point, 1 inch or longer, or a 20 inch minimum main beam outside spread."
Well if I would've kept reading I would've seen that others answered this before me ha! Sorry for the redundancy everyone lol

muddyboots

It's just overall a very sad situation. Presidents island was the best 3 days hunting I have ever experienced or prolly ever will experience. One of my buddies that has hunted a lot in the Midwest said it was like a perfect rut day in Illinois for 3 days. But now it's not so good. Kind of like Tn turkey hunting. Just sad situations for sure. I guess I've seen the good times. Great memories for sure.

I will always remember that north wind blowing with the smell of asphalt and strawberries. Lol. I could hear big trucks all day and bam look down and a good buck would be coming in. I saw mostly racked bucks also. Most all were 8 points or better.

Bone Collector

I've been stacking points hoping for a miracle somewhere else will emerge as the go to spot.
I'm doing kind of the same thing. I guess I will put in for the Island, but I am hoping some place that hasn't been hunted in 15 years or something gets a draw hunt, during the rut, preferably with a rifle ;)

Speedwell-Hunter

I hunted the PI hunt this past weekend. It is a tough hunt to say the least. You get one day to scout 6300 acres and find a spot. Then you get 3 days to kill a 9 point or better with archery gear. That's a tall order, and there isn't a giant buck hiding behind every tree as internet lore describes. Everyone seemed to have the same opinion. These deer are extremely difficult to figure out. Everything looks the same and there are deer trails everywhere. There are no oaks on the island. None. There are virtually no trees to climb. Every tree is crooked, has too many limbs, is covered in poison ivy, or has 100 grapevines wrapped around it. I'm not allergic to poison ivy, so I eventually found a good tree I wanted to climb and stripped all the poison ivy off. To add more difficulty, the beans were cut pretty close to our hunt. So all the trails going to the beans were probably obsolete. If you've never experienced MS River mosquitoes, they are relentless. Absolutely savage. And immune to most mosquito repellant. I grew up in Shelby Forest. I've been hunting MS River bottoms all my life, so I know all about the mosquitoes, and I'm still amazed at how brutal they are. Chris Park and the other TWRA guys run an excellent hunt and do a wonderful job. They gave us all the information they could and really wanted to see some bucks on the ground. They were ready to assist with tracking (one of the game wardens even brought his tracking dog). I can't say enough good things about them and the way they conduct the hunt. When I left Sunday no bucks had been killed. I didn't even see a buck. My son had a nice 8 point at 15 yards, and had to watch him walk away. I had a good time, but it's probably not worth waiting 10+ years if there are other hunts you like. I don't have any interest in any other hunts so I'll keep putting in, and Lord willing, will hunt it again someday.
DID not know you could hunt there!

Headhunter

TWRA screwed up a great opportunity for many at PI. I have never put in for it and don't plan to. So sad the TWRA could take a place with so much potential and ruin it.

fairchaser

TWRA screwed up a great opportunity for many at PI. I have never put in for it and don't plan to. So sad the TWRA could take a place with so much potential and ruin it.
I didn't know TWRA had control over the Mississippi River flooding. I think you should discuss that with a higher power. Just saying.

Headhunter

I didn't know TWRA had control over the Mississippi River flooding. I think you should discuss that with a higher power. Just saying.
Nothing to do with flooding, the regs they use have no basis in any kind of whitetail management. And you have very limited opportunity to legally kill a buck, and you make one of the hunts in the middle of October. Really? Like I said, TWRA completely screwed the pooch on that one. Most likely one person who has the "power" instead consulting a biologist or even the hunters in Tennessee. The hunters in Tennessee could easily do a better job of managing a limited draw hunt. I believe a non hunter or someone who doesn't care about deer management came up with the regs. I am far from alone in my thoughts.

fairchaser

Nothing to do with flooding, the regs they use have no basis in any kind of whitetail management. And you have very limited opportunity to legally kill a buck, and you make one of the hunts in the middle of October. Really? Like I said, TWRA completely screwed the pooch on that one. Most likely one person who has the "power" instead consulting a biologist or even the hunters in Tennessee. The hunters in Tennessee could easily do a better job of managing a limited draw hunt. I believe a non hunter or someone who doesn't care about deer management came up with the regs. I am far from alone in my thoughts.
I agree with some of your conclusions HH. An age and /or antler score restriction would have been a better approach to restricting harvest. However, what happens when a buck comes in too young or too small? It's rack is confiscated? That's what happened in our club. Can you imagine the backlash? Maybe a better approach was to cut the number of hunters in half and allow hunters to shoot what they want. I had to pass on more than one P&Y 8 pointers. I think there was a lot of pressure from surrounding landowners not to over harvest which could have resulted in the harvest rules. Even still without the flooding it would be a great hunt.

Latest posts