President's Island

cg02175

I see they announced the TN deer quota hunt drawings today. Who got drawn for the December President's Island hunt, and how many preference points did you have going into this year? Good luck to all those that got drawn this year!

Bone Collector

I have 11 now, and can tell I will not be getting drawn for another 3-5 years... hopefully I can still get up and down a tree (kidding... I hope). I will be between 50-52 years old.

the issue as everyone knows is point creep. more and more people are in those 12, 13, and 14 pt buckets and there are only like 30 spots. hopefully it will be my turn soon.

Daddybucktn

So I don't remember how many points I had but did get drawn for the October hunt. This is my 3rd trip to the island, but the 1st in October. I was drawn on the very 1st hunt (It was Magical). I think again around 2010-11 when the Mississippi flooded. It was like hunting on a beach and only saw one deer. From what I am reading... I dont think the island ever recovered. The "Trophy Room" reflects the same. Hoping someone could shed some light on recent hunts?

Last edited:

Bone Collector

So I don't remember how many points I had but did get drawn for the October hunt. This is my 3rd trip to the island, but the 1st in October. I was drawn on the very 1st hunt (It was Magical). I think again around 2010-11 when the Mississippi flooded. It was like hunting on a beach and only saw one deer. From what I am reading... I dont think the island ever recovered. The "Trophy Room" reflects the same. Hoping someone could shed some light on recent hunts?
I know people have killed good deer there in recent years, but the # of kills has greatly diminished. I do know people that have hunted there have reported seeing good deer, but not in bow range which is at least encouraging. It has recovered some, but never fully recovered to its old glory days. I think the private leases on the island have hurt some too. Just a hunch.

My two biggest mistakes are:
1. 2003/2004 being told about the island but not doing the research to figure out how to put in for the hunt. Keep in mind I have had a sportsman's license from about 2000-when I got my lifetime. I was told it was a magic place, but I had tons of spots to hunt in Mid TN.
2. Not understanding how draw hunts work and when my wife was pregnant with my son in 2011, she told me no draw hunts that would keep me away from home. I didn't put in for fear of getting drawn🤦‍♂️ I did this again in 2012.... I finally realized what I was doing and started applying in 2013. I would have 13 pts instead I have 11...

Daddybucktn

Thanks for the response BC. That is "Encouraging" news. That 1st year.... I know I saw 25-50 bucks. None within bow range that qualified and those that were 9+ were out of range. After the flood... as stated it was covered with sand and all kinds of debris was hanging in the trees. It looked like the island was at least 10 feet under water at a minimum. This will be my last attempt... Hopefully for my Uncle and I... the 3rd time IS the Charm! Good Luck Hunting!

muddyboots

Here is new numbers just for fun.

Attachments

• 71406119417__5332315D-007A-4E7E-83D8-0EFCA5C4C276.jpeg
    71406119417__5332315D-007A-4E7E-83D8-0EFCA5C4C276.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 205

Bone Collector

Here is new numbers just for fun.
well this is disheartening. No other hunts interest me. AGAIN I have to kick myself for not understanding how things work.. there should be 99 people in the 13 point bucket but alas I am one of 153 people with 11 points.

I thought back in the day they used to draw 30 to the island and 30 to the Ensley Unit in Dec (total of 60). I feel like they added this Oct. Hunt and took tags away from the Dec. hunt. Maybe my recollection is wrong. I just did the math and if I did it correctly (I think I did). There are 399 people with 11+ pts. They only draw 30 people each Dec. 13 years from now there will still be 9 people left from that 399. Essentially if you are one of the ones with 11 pts it could take 14 years to get drawn. I would be 61....

**edited to add*** that could move up some if people sit out or put in with people with lower pts. So it may creep up a year or two, but not 5+, so best case scenario for the 11 pt crowd would probably be 8-9 years. Assuming straight draws and no one getting out of the way or skipping the 11 pt crowd today will start getting drawn in 2032 and will have 22 pts...

Last edited: