President's Island questions

Muy Grande

3F300B93-873C-4E27-95A3-9EBFAC3887BC.png

Oked

When you were there last year were the fields still grown up and brushy? Or has any Ag returned? Any beans or corn? Just curious. We put in for a preference point this year but should, or could, possibly get drawn next year.
Lots of beans , no corn . But the beans were already cut. There are plenty of places to hunt and seen lots of deer. I had seen reports of people hunting all day and not seeing anything, I sent probably 30 deer a day with 8 to 10 of those being bucks but I sit all day. If u go take a atv or side by side because if it rains it gets muddy and a truck will get stuck. Any questions just pm me.

TN Larry

Per the TWRA graphic you shared, I noticed 19 potential applicants have either 14 and 15 points right now, yet the quota hunt instructions state this:

"Priority drawing: TWRA's priority drawing system gives one priority point (maximum of 13 points) to applicants each year they apply and are not successful for any hunt."
I know someone with 14 pts. :)

FF3F4A69-5EB1-45D7-961C-1DFA74D5E945.jpeg

DoubleRidge

Lots of beans , no corn . But the beans were already cut. There are plenty of places to hunt and seen lots of deer. I had seen reports of people hunting all day and not seeing anything, I sent probably 30 deer a day with 8 to 10 of those being bucks but I sit all day. If u go take a atv or side by side because if it rains it gets muddy and a truck will get stuck. Any questions just pm me.
Thanks...appreciate the information!

muddyboots

Lots of beans , no corn . But the beans were already cut. There are plenty of places to hunt and seen lots of deer. I had seen reports of people hunting all day and not seeing anything, I sent probably 30 deer a day with 8 to 10 of those being bucks but I sit all day. If u go take an atv or side by side because if it rains it gets muddy and a truck will get stuck. Any questions just pm me.
Maybe that means corn this year. I hunted first morning I was there. Did not see a deer. 6 hours. Thought I was the worst deer hunter ever. Moved 200 yards and then saw deer constant.

Terrier

I've plowed thru 6 pages of this thread to finally get to what I was looking for... YOUR REPLY! Thank you sooo much for that.

I was there in 2009 and the fields had all be cut down and pretty bare. I was hoping it would be back to that instead of the bushy cover that some guys mentioned was there a few years ago. I might make it back there in the next year or three. Didn't score the last time, but I was close. Had an absolute moose walk by my stand at 10 yards, but his rack was beat to pieces. Main beams were thicker than my wrists, but he only had about 5 points left. Had another picture perfect 10 stand like a statue behind me for an hour, tending a doe. Never could get turned around to take a shot at him until the doe spooked under my stand and they took off, then he was too far away.

redheadshooter

Hunted it in the October hunt last year. Had a great time exploring the island and enjoyed the hunt. Did not see a ton of deer, but that is to be expected on a mid-October hunt. Found some great bedding and hunted near there. Had a mature 10 (approximately 145") at 43 yards that never presented me with the right shot and ended up winding me. I live within 45 minutes of the island, so lodging was not a factor in my decision. The campsites looked like it could be a good time!

bullshooter

I was there in 2009 and I believe it was the highest success rate they have had? I believe 14 bucks (maybe more) was checked in. I was fortunate enough to get a good buck that hunt and I am going back this year. I am not expecting the same hunt I had in 2009 but I'm still looking forward to it.

Turkeychaser

I was there in 2009 and I believe it was the highest success rate they have had? I believe 14 bucks (maybe more) was checked in. I was fortunate enough to get a good buck that hunt and I am going back this year. I am not expecting the same hunt I had in 2009 but I'm still looking forward to it.
I hunted in 2009 too and didn't kill, but it was still awesome.

Andy S.

I hunted PI in December 2017, when it was abnormally warm, and in the middle of several years of high water in and along the MS River. Miserable hunting experience with minimal sightings across the board. One of the TFWC Commissioners was on my hunt, with his son. Due to reduced deer sightings, an abundance of hunters per acre of huntable land, and other factors, the reduced doe opportunities and reduced quota came into play the following year. I highly suspect he influenced that decision and change, which was needed IMO.