President's Island Review

Spurhunter

I hunted the PI hunt this past weekend. It is a tough hunt to say the least. You get one day to scout 6300 acres and find a spot. Then you get 3 days to kill a 9 point or better with archery gear. That's a tall order, and there isn't a giant buck hiding behind every tree as internet lore describes. Everyone seemed to have the same opinion. These deer are extremely difficult to figure out. Everything looks the same and there are deer trails everywhere. There are no oaks on the island. None. There are virtually no trees to climb. Every tree is crooked, has too many limbs, is covered in poison ivy, or has 100 grapevines wrapped around it. I'm not allergic to poison ivy, so I eventually found a good tree I wanted to climb and stripped all the poison ivy off. To add more difficulty, the beans were cut pretty close to our hunt. So all the trails going to the beans were probably obsolete. If you've never experienced MS River mosquitoes, they are relentless. Absolutely savage. And immune to most mosquito repellant. I grew up in Shelby Forest. I've been hunting MS River bottoms all my life, so I know all about the mosquitoes, and I'm still amazed at how brutal they are. Chris Park and the other TWRA guys run an excellent hunt and do a wonderful job. They gave us all the information they could and really wanted to see some bucks on the ground. They were ready to assist with tracking (one of the game wardens even brought his tracking dog). I can't say enough good things about them and the way they conduct the hunt. When I left Sunday no bucks had been killed. I didn't even see a buck. My son had a nice 8 point at 15 yards, and had to watch him walk away. I had a good time, but it's probably not worth waiting 10+ years if there are other hunts you like. I don't have any interest in any other hunts so I'll keep putting in, and Lord willing, will hunt it again someday.

Bone Collector

I've been saying it since I did the doe hunts several years back...not worth putting in for it. Too many other draw hunts to enjoy and I'll prolly kill a bigger buck in the next 10 years than what most people kill on PI. Wish I could have seen it before the 2011 flood.
I agree with this, but when you had put in for it for 5+ years before people started saying this stuff, it is too late IMO. you just have to stay the course. Reason being there isn't a draw hunt that is as good of odds as shooting a big one or seeing a big one in TN. If there were, there would be a long wait for it.

So for those of us that have 8-10 pts there isn't a hunt worth blowing them on. If one popped up, I may jump on it in a second and use my points, but I don't see them adding a dream draw hunt anytime soon.

deerfever

I been putting in and it's really not bothered me as there is not a lot of quality hunts on the list . I have made up my mind that I will try to find another hunt to put in for as the older I get the less motivated I am to drive to Memphis to hunt deer with a bow in a cwd zone and then deal with that if you are actually lucky enough to harvest a nice buck.

Last edited:

catman529

I agree with this, but when you had put in for it for 5+ years before people started saying this stuff, it is too late IMO. you just have to stay the course. Reason being there isn't a draw hunt that is as good of odds as shooting a big one or seeing a big one in TN. If there were, there would be a long wait for it.

So for those of us that have 8-10 pts there isn't a hunt worth blowing them on. If one popped up, I may jump on it in a second and use my points, but I don't see them adding a dream draw hunt anytime soon.
Yep I agree there. If you got the points racked up it might be the only thing worth burning em on.

Gravey

I'll add my $0.02 as a buddy and I were there too. Basically what Spurhunter said is spot on accurate. It's overwhelming on where to start even after looking at maps until my eyes crossed. Chris Park was a great guy and we talked to him for over an hour on our way out. He kept saying hunt the thick stuff which is super thick right now while everything is green. My buddy nor I saw a single deer while on stand but did see some turkeys. There's no way to pattern them. No mast trees anywhere other than a few persimmons and they were gone. Ground was tore up so I sat there and had one blow at me one afternoon. We were so frustrated we didn't even hunt Sunday. Just went and got our 4-wheelers and headed home. Had I known in 2009 when we started applying what I know now I'd never put in for it if I didn't have some intel on where to scout first. We had hunted the Ensley unit in 2008 and saw a bunch of deer so was very disappointed after all the hype and anticipation leading up to it. If I do start trying to build points again it will be for the December hunt only when they're hopefully rutting and chasing does.

Last edited:

CBU93

And a disappointing October hunt is a surprise? Sorry, but this is a known circumstance to most of us who have experienced this type of hunting and paid attention to the years of posts on TNDeer. December hunts are a different animal all together.

remmag

I was there also
First post was dead on,it is a very tough hunt

I would not put the years in waiting for the hunt again,it is a great place but the odds on this hunt are really stacked against you going in

Good luck to everyone this year

Gravey

And a disappointing October hunt is a surprise? Sorry, but this is a known circumstance to most of us who have experienced this type of hunting and paid attention to the years of posts on TNDeer. December hunts are a different animal all together.
I didn't mean to put in for it as I had been on Ensley before but since it's no longer an option just didn't catch it. That said even when rutting it's gonna be a tough hunt. They should move more but 30 people on 6,000 acres isn't exactly gonna get them moving. Will take a whole lotta luck IMO.

Latest posts