Powder vs Pellets

PcDeer

I've been having all kinds of muzzleloader problems since Sunday. I have no idea this is what helped my problem but I went and bought 777 pellets today which helped my inconsistency problem. I was shooting 777 powder and after a couple misfires and terrible inconsistency problems I swapped today. Guy at shop said sometimes a muzzleloaders "personality" changes.

fairchaser

Powder is more consistent and versatile than pellets. Why take a chance with a deer of a lifetime. After you drop the pellets in there are voids in the barrel that can attract moisture causing a hang fire or misfire. Obviously the pellets are more difficult to ignite as everyone agrees not to use them with a no 11 cap. I truly believe pellets will disappear someday due to their inferior qualities.

Killing time

Ive used pellets and #10 or #11 caps for 17 years straight. No issues. I am, however, going to try powder, just so i can experiment with different loads.

vixty

I had a win 209 primer yesterday that just made a faint pop with some smoke. I use 60gr 777 pellets. I assume it was just a bad primer, but now I have doubts in my mind that it might happen when shooting at a deer and not paper. I have a CVA wolf and get 1.5 groups at 100 with 250gr aerolites and 120gr 777 pellets.

AlabamaSwamper

jb3 said:
Read the instructions on the box of pellets. I'm pretty sure triple 7 pellets state to use 209 primers. I use #11 caps for my knight and use loose. I tried pellets at the range one time and had an issue with it firing. Gave the pellets away to someone at the range.

I 1000% agree. 777 will not ignite good with #11.

G.Mo

I've had problems with residue ring with 777 loose n pellets. The only way I've found to get it out is completely cleaning my gun. After cleaning my first shot is way off. Dead on after that. Going to try pyrodex again after season closes

Latest posts