Powder vs Pellets

Bulldog25

So off of Stringtalker's post what do you guys prefer, pellets or powder? Also I have been using pellets since the end of last season and this season it has had some problems. When I have went to shoot sometimes the cap fires but the pellets do not ignite. My muzzleloader uses #11 caps, could that be the problem? Should I switch back to powder?

MMHunter

For sure. Go to powder a lot more versatile for changing charge and igniting. I would never use pellets with a no.11

UTGrad

Powder with BH209

Much more consistent and better groups. Once you load up a couple speed loaders reloading with loose powder is just as fast as pellets.

travle

I use pellets. After my experience with powder and a 209 cap i won't use anything but pellets. I know for certain with pellets i can shoot 3 times and never clean between shots. A few years back i tried powder. Shooting at a 50 yard target first shot right on the money. Second shot without cleaning never touched the targeted. Cleaned the gun shot again right on the money. Pellets burn so much cleaner. Never have a problem with them igniting either. Like saturday morning i missed a deer (my fault). I had every intention on cleaning the gun before i went that afternoon. I fell asleep and forgot. Shot a deer saturday afternoon and dropped it. i know with powder i could never do that. But this is just my gun and my situation. And like others have said pellets are only used with #209 primer.

ImThere

Never had a problem with pellets and #11 in mine
Never had anything shoot as clean as bh209. Whitehots were a close 2nd to bh and the always fired with #11 also worked better and changed my poi when i switched to 209 primer. My new gun only sees bh209

warpheagle

Definitely powder. Blackhorn 209 is the best. Consistency of load is paramount with muzzleloaders, and Blackhorn is the best to ever come along. I witnessed my friend shooting at the target range one day using pellets of Jim Shocky gold and it looked like he shot a roman candle. The pellet was burning as it went thru the air. No pellets for me.

ImThere

warpheagle said:
Definitely powder. Blackhorn 209 is the best. Consistency of load is paramount with muzzleloaders, and Blackhorn is the best to ever come along. I witnessed my friend shooting at the target range one day using pellets of Jim Shocky gold and it looked like he shot a roman candle. The pellet was burning as it went thru the air. No pellets for me.
I seen this last week with my buddies ml i cant get it sighted in its all over te place. Will not use shocky gold ever again

Kingston

I am still old school. FFG with #11's. 90 grains, 265 grain Knight sabots.
It's what I started with when I bought my first inline 18-19 years ago and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Bought my first and last can of Pyrodex 15 years ago. Both mine and my wifes[same mz's] had multiple misfires. Gave it away.

WestTn Huntin man

I always pop a cap after cleaning to burn out any residue.Not sure what you are shooting but you might be able to get a conversion kit. I've changed different guns to Musket caps and 209's for a hotter ignition .

jb3

Read the instructions on the box of pellets. I'm pretty sure triple 7 pellets state to use 209 primers. I use #11 caps for my knight and use loose. I tried pellets at the range one time and had an issue with it firing. Gave the pellets away to someone at the range.

Bulldog25

WestTn Huntin'man said:
I always pop a cap after cleaning to burn out any residue.Not sure what you are shooting but you might be able to get a conversion kit. I've changed different guns to Musket caps and 209's for a hotter ignition .

Yea I popped 2 after cleaning. This occasion after 3 caps it finally ignited the powder and fired that is why I think there still must have been some moisture in there. I looked into getting the 209 conversion but it is an older muzzleloader and I may just end up buying a new one after this season.

jb3 said:
Read the instructions on the box of pellets. I'm pretty sure triple 7 pellets state to use 209 primers. I use #11 caps for my knight and use loose. I tried pellets at the range one time and had an issue with it firing. Gave the pellets away to someone at the range.

I never had any problems with the pellets until this year. All last year it fired fine and this year it has except for the 2 times I have cleaned it and then went to go shoot it. I'm starting to think it is just a moisture issue but I am still probably going to switch back to powder when I get done with the pellets I have now.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Ricky Bobby
    Turkey day deer came in with the fog. Then I let my boom stick ring out...
    • Ricky Bobby
    • Updated:

Latest posts