Poacher rant:

Hunter 257W

I know the feeling. The year I bought the farm beside the one I grew up on, I found a deer skeleton with rotted hide and head sawed off right on the property line less than 200 yards from my elevated shooting house. I found it in late November and judging on appearance I'd say it was killed in late bow season. There were various places marked along the boundaries for no apparent reason by the Surveyor's tape and there was a marking right where this buck was laying. I strongly suspect somebody working with the survey team was responsible and had marked this spot as a good place to hunt from. When I start seeing this kind of crap it makes me want to go to "if it's brown it's down" again with bucks. Don't leave the game thieves any bucks worth stealing from you because that's exactly what they are doing.

FTG-05

Someone shot a deer around here somewhere. I have a very nice skull with one set of 4 points on it and most of the skin. My dogs dragged it here from somewhere.

Ski

I know the feeling. The year I bought the farm beside the one I grew up on, I found a deer skeleton with rotted hide and head sawed off right on the property line less than 200 yards from my elevated shooting house. I found it in late November and judging on appearance I'd say it was killed in late bow season. There were various places marked along the boundaries for no apparent reason by the Surveyor's tape and there was a marking right where this buck was laying. I strongly suspect somebody working with the survey team was responsible and had marked this spot as a good place to hunt from. When I start seeing this kind of crap it makes me want to go to "if it's brown it's down" again with bucks. Don't leave the game thieves any bucks worth stealing from you because that's exactly what they are doing.

A small WMA near me was marked up like that his year. I never hunted it this season but went in a couple weeks ago to scout around. There were trails cut through early growth, hatchet slashes on saplings to mark the trails, and pink surveyor tape tied every so often and at every spot that was cleared out to sit. There was also an abandoned cheap pop-up blind with a dead doe strung out in front of it. Everything about all of it had the feel of a scoundrel poacher, but this was a public hunting spot. I've seen guys mark trails with tape or toilet paper or reflective tacks, but never anything like this. Aside from the doe lying in front of the pop-up, none of this has anything to do with poaching, but your post made me think of it.

TRHC

Thanks Brian, Indian grass is a great idea.
Check out Egyptian Wheat for visual screens. Lots of videos on YouTube about it. I know a couple of people that use it and it works great. There's a couple commercial mixes available too. Pennington makes one called Conceal and Frigid Forage has one called Plot Screen. I think the main ingredient in both is EW.

gladesman60

poacher shot a doe across the street from my house on last day of doe season. I had seen the deer many times by my mailbox including that afternoon. I heard the shot and immediately knew what happened. I hurried down the drive and saw the deer laying about 15 yards off the road. I called the game warden and as I was talking to him this red Ford truck drove by a couple times. As I waited for the game warden to arrive that truck drove by a couple more times. Game warden hung out a couple hours but the truck never came back and no one attempted to retrieve the deer. When he left he told me to take the deer for myself. Poachers suck. Not a lot of deer around my house and this doe had 2 babies inside her. Really pissed me off.

7mm08

"super tall grass as a screen across the TVA right a way" thanks, that is a great idea. Johnson grass works until the first few heavy frosts, then falls over, losing concealment value.
What about a "warm season " grass and help out the quail. I've seen some of that 6'. I'm sure someone on here knows the proper name.

7mm08

To the poacher in Hurricane mills, hwy 230 area who killed 6 deer from the dirt road this year, we will catch you. My daughter put the young buck, whose back legs you shot off and left to suffer for 2 days, out of his misery. He was only 2 years old and perfectly symmetrical. The other buck you killed and left in the field was also 2 and only had 4pts. The third buck whose horns you cut off, was one my son (I think) had let walk for 3 yrs and would love to have legally killed. The other 3 doe you shot and left in field, would have been great to donate to those in need. We have notified the game warden and will do whatever it takes to catch you. We know who you are and where you live. Why don't you just ask for repentance and stop. It will save us all a lot of trouble. If you need a place to hunt, need meat, or just want to be a part of something, you should ask and see if we can help you.
I truly feel for you but honestly do you really think a bunch of scum sucking poachers hang out out on this website? I would like to think we are all on here above a heinous acts such as this.

hell half the time I get my spelling corrected on here!!!

Latest posts