Plumb sick !

Snake

After being very patient letting a small buck walk and several does a really decent eight slips right under me . Well he's downwind but so close my scent must have drifted over him because he knew something was not right but didn't spook . I tried to draw once but the angle prevented me from getting the bow all the way back (got a bad shoulder also) and thought the movement was going to give me a way but he still hung around . Eventualy he moved a futher out and kinda was quartering away so I drawed but didn't really like the shot so I just held back the bow and he begain to move at a broadside angle about 15 - 18 yds chip shot . Still with the bow drawed the buck hung up behind some brush for what seemed an eterity . I concidered letting the bow down but thought the extra movement might spook him because he knew something just was not right but I held true until he moved into a clear opening . Stopped the buck and took dead aim and shot , heard the thump so everything seemed good . After about a 45 min. wait I climb down go to the area I shot him , find my arrow and about puked right then and there . A little blood but alot of junk that indicated a gut shot . Well I backed out and came back about 4 hours later and look until I was just wore out , no sign of him . Should have been a chip shot but I don't know weather I was weary from holding the bow back so long or if I clipped a limb cause it's reaaly thick were I'm hunting or just made a bad shot , either way it wasn't good ! It's difficult tracking in that area because it's kinda swampy and real grassy so if the deer is not bleeding profusly it's hard to track . Hate it but I gave it my best effort and dogs is not an option because it is my plant's propery . Wished I had of just plain missed so I can hope for is that he'll make it . Sorry for the long story and wished it had been good but that's hunting . :( :(

catman529

Sorry to hear that. I noticed a few weeks ago while target practicing that if I shot too much, my shots would miss the mark because I was getting real tired from holding the bow back. Could have been your problem. Hope you find him sooner or later.

Latest posts