This just makes me sick…..

Knothead

D5841F96-39EA-41BB-96BC-423497F29709.jpeg
32DC4DD1-AB3D-4786-9A92-84B49F1EC524.jpeg
52D22A48-06AC-4393-AE30-D68673A05587.jpeg

Nastiest one I've ever done. Won't do it again. 😲

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Got some good pics of this guy in early summer and again late summer. I had decided in my mind that this is one I was going to try to harvest.
Season rolls around and he disappeared. No more pics, no sightings. Nothing. I had concluded about two weeks or so ago that perhaps he had moved to the adjoining property. I took an 8 pointer with my black powder gun and then set my targets on a doe.
Last weekend, was fortunate to harvest a doe. Walked over to retrieve her and saw (and smelled) a skeleton 20 yds away.
Someone made a pathetic shot on him. You can see the arrow (or bolt) inside the rib cage. Looks as though it entered the deer in the hind quarters. How? Why? Why would someone take that shot. Just appalling. None of our lease members took this shot nor even saw him on the hoof.

I did take the skull to make a Euro mount. Considering what I had to start with, I think it turned out pretty well. Not finished yet, but I'm getting there.

View attachment 121584View attachment 121585
View attachment 121586View attachment 121587View attachment 121588View attachment 121589
Good to see you made good use of the skull.

BSK

As oldmanelrod said, glad you at least got the skull and rack. Always good to know you can grow deer like that on your place.

But I feel you. We've lost some top-end bucks to EHD and lost some to "questionable" circumstances. Always a pisser.

Tom Collins

True. While I realize these are not "our" deer, it's still disheartening! What bothers me the most is not that I didn't harvest the deer but that the deer had to endure a suffering, miserable death. I'm not a soft hearted person, but I do hate to know that any animal had to suffer—-and especially and potentially due to careless, lack of practice, poor judgement (or simply buck fever) from a hunter. Will never know for sure but I certainly hope it was not one of the area road hunters.
Assuming you've never took a questionable shot or made a bad hit?

Specializedjon

I'm gonna take the other side of this....there may just be a guy/gal out there sick to their stomach that they 1. made a bad shot (we've all done that) 2. didn't find him. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt (except Prius drivers of course). Glad you were able to find him and honor him with a beautiful euro mount. A good story, ended badly for the deer, you turned it around into a happy ending.

NumberOne

I'm gonna take the other side of this....there may just be a guy/gal out there sick to their stomach that they 1. made a bad shot (we've all done that) 2. didn't find him. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt (except Prius drivers of course). Glad you were able to find him and honor him with a beautiful euro mount. A good story, ended badly for the deer, you turned it around into a happy ending.
haha Can't trust'em

Latest posts