Just what I needed...

Tenntrapper

Met up with @Jcalder , @EastTNHunter , his dad, and @Atchman2 this morning. We took 3 boats to some tva land that I've hunted for nearly 45 years. My great grandfather owned it before tva took/bought it. I should also note that it was also a Civil War battle site.
Met at the ramp at 5, got launched, and headed there in complete darkness. It was overcast. Tva is doing winter draw down, so had to go very slow to avoid "islands".

We made to the property in one piece, and got headed out. Randy wasn't feeling well so he stayed behind. He later went ahead and went home.

I directed Ryan and his dad to where I would hunt if I was there alone. Jason and I headed a different direction. We went to a spot that has been productive in the past, but was away from the others. I knew the area was thick, but hadn't been to that part in 2-3 years so I wasn't sure just how bad it would be. It was pretty bad.

We all got situated and waited for sunup. Jason seen the first buck but couldn't shoot...it was skylining. I saw a couple on the ridge top a few mins later. Again... skylining and moving to fast...but towards Jason.

After a few hours of nothing else, I decided to move...farther out the ridge we were on.
I don't hunt this ridge often because it is very steep...and the farther out you go the steeper it gets.

I went maybe 50 yards, and found a fresh rub and a couple little saplings that he must have been really pissed at.. 😂 they were beat to pieces. Stood there a few looking around, dropped a pin on my onx, then proceeded on. Took about 3 more steps and one blew at me..it was below me and in that thick stuff.
Waited a few, and took another couple steps...busted by one above me. Oh....and about 3 seconds after the first one blew at me...I heard a shot. From where it sounded like it came from....it should be Ryan or his dad. (Ryan got a doe)I proceeded onward, but decided now would be a good time to eat a bite. Went a little higher on the ridge and got comfy, and had lunch.
After I had sat there a bit, I decided to try to get off that ridge. Hard to explain, but there is about a 50-60 yrd swath of deadfall and really thick crap that runs between the ridge and the lake bottom. So I continued out the ridge looking for hopefully an easier way to get through. Just as I found something I thought I could get through...a doe busted out of there and headed up the ridge. BTW Jason....I pinned that on onx best I could, and it was 106 yards, with about 150' of elevation gain. She stopped for a second and I took an offhand shot at her. She jumped and ran to the right, done a couple circles, then back to where she was and over that rise. My hope was that she crashed down the other side, but no way of knowing without going up there. Did I mention that this part of the ridge is steep? It's literally grabbing saplings to hold onto and still sliding down about as fast as you try to go up. I finally get up there, but I'm so winded I can't even look for blood...just have to sit down and start stripping clothes off. When I caught my breath, I started looking.... nothing. I searched where I thought she was standing and where she was doing circles... nothing. So I went to the edge of where I think she went over. Took one step and slid 12-15 feet down the hill...it's friggin steep. I came out here one time back in the 80s, said I would never do it again...but here I am.
Jason is texting me...do I need help. I really don't know what to tell him... because I don't think I hit her. If I did...I'm definitely going to need some help though. This gully is steeper than the previous ones...and I struggled with them.
So Jason says he's coming to help, but I don't honestly think he realizes where I am...and I couldn't forgive myself if he came out there and got hurt. I decide to give up on her...I'm sure I missed. I walked the top edge of gully looking down in there for her, but never seen her. So, I'm good with calling it quits. Time to get off this hill.
From my vantage point, I can see Ryan and his dad back at their boat...a text...I see you... 😂
Jason is waiting for me at the head of the cove. I have to go that way to get back around. Inbound text from Ryan...want us to save you a few steps? Sure.. 😂 So Ryan brings his boat across the cove to pick me up...I'm so grateful!! It's several hundred yards back to head of cove, then same again back to boat....and I've already had my butt stomped on that hill.
And yes...we went and picked up Jason.
The remainder of trip was pretty much uneventful... except for soaking Jason with icy cold lake water while wake jumping behind Ryan's boat... 😂 Ok, so that might have been an accident, but it was still funny.

Ok, so I know that was long winded, but I wrote it all to say....guys, that's the most fun I've had hunting in several years. I've been missing hunting with friends, like you wouldn't believe. To the point I've been saying for 3 years...this is it...I'm done.
I truly hope we get to do it again...just not in the next few days. I can barely move...I hurt from head to toe. So bad...I'm actually relieved that the kiss concert was cancelled...not sure I could have done it.
Thanks again for coming out...you made an old man's day...and then some. 👍👍👍

Jcalder

Had a blast. Seen new country. Climbed a few hills. The wrong ridge. Found somebody's blind. Found the backpack lol. Just a fun time. Thanks for the invite. And thanks to Ryan for the heart! That was a great snack when I got home.
72251984081__61371B96-1C7C-41B4-A6B8-3CE320B6CE4C.jpeg
72252489071__42ACD51A-50C1-4D2A-8301-BFE446D1E66E.fullsizerender.jpeg
IMG_8598.jpeg
IMG_8601.jpeg
IMG_8602.jpeg

Attachments

• 72255090596__B89C873A-4F3A-49CF-8806-6013A541E4FC.fullsizerender.jpeg
    72255090596__B89C873A-4F3A-49CF-8806-6013A541E4FC.fullsizerender.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 72255137638__41CFC022-DE4B-4DED-8367-00C25237E71F.fullsizerender.jpeg
    72255137638__41CFC022-DE4B-4DED-8367-00C25237E71F.fullsizerender.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 69

Atchman2

Good times guys. I'm so sorry I got sick. Took me a while to get the boat hooked up and to get home. I woke up at 1:30 still feeling sick. Got up for awhile, got the boat put away and then went back to bed. It is now 10:30 and I'm finally up and about. My son had a stomach bug yesterday and I'm thinking he gave it to me. When I get anything the MS kicks in and puts me down.

Never did get the boat trailer lights to work. I think I'm just going to cheat and take it to Uhaul and let them do put a new wiring harness on the truck. I probably should have changed vehicles, but I've never pulled the boat with our little truck.

Figured out the Garmin was unplugged when it got light. I wish I had it for the water depth and GPS!

Man I was careful and slow getting back to the dock. There was some dude in a bass boat that went by me at about 50 mph! That is a treacherous lake at low water!

I went back through Morristown, I'll bet there were 50 boat trailers at the ramp! Don't know what they were all doing, glad for your sakes they weren't hunting. Seems the stripers were breaking.

I would love to have stayed. I talked about it with my other friends and how much I was looking forward to it. I have my BAR with my new scope, I was looking forward to using it. Maybe we can go back soon for a squirrel hunt after deer season is over.

Jcalder

Good times guys. I'm so sorry I got sick. Took me a while to get the boat hooked up and to get home. I woke up at 1:30 still feeling sick. Got up for awhile, got the boat put away and then went back to bed. It is now 10:30 and I'm finally up and about. My son had a stomach bug yesterday and I'm thinking he gave it to me. When I get anything the MS kicks in and puts me down.

Never did get the boat trailer lights to work. I think I'm just going to cheat and take it to Uhaul and let them do put a new wiring harness on the truck. I probably should have changed vehicles, but I've never pulled the boat with our little truck.

Figured out the Garmin was unplugged when it got light. I wish I had it for the water depth and GPS!

Man I was careful and slow getting back to the dock. There was some dude in a bass boat that went by me at about 50 mph! That is a treacherous lake at low water!

I went back through Morristown, I'll bet there were 50 boat trailers at the ramp! Don't know what they were all doing, glad for your sakes they weren't hunting. Seems the stripers were breaking.

I would love to have stayed. I talked about it with my other friends and how much I was looking forward to it. I have my BAR with my new scope, I was looking forward to using it. Maybe we can go back soon for a squirrel hunt after deer season is over.
Hate you got sick but glad you made it home. Nice meeting you! We'll do it again

Atchman2

Atchman2

I followed the trail by the creek and took a left kinda in the back. I was below a house
LOL! What creek? Where I went with Jeff we didn't see a creek. We just walked along the spine of the ridge. I will have to get out my map and see where you went. :D

Tenntrapper

LOL! What creek? Where I went with Jeff we didn't see a creek. We just walked along the spine of the ridge. I will have to get out my map and see where you went. :D
We didn't go to that area first time we went up there. I sent Ryan and his dad to that area.
Jason and I went the other direction....to billy goat country... 😂

Latest posts