Food Plots Plant or Wait

GOHUNT

I planted Kale, seven top turnips and rape on September 8 and got 0.35" rain within 24 hours and another 0.2 about 5 days later then none since. It looks pretty good but I'm really hoping for rain this week!

Attachments

• IMG_9341.jpeg
    IMG_9341.jpeg
    675.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

We drilled almost 10 acres last weekend after 1" of rain. Also overseeded wheat and clover into 4 acres of clover plots. This rain should get that sprouting good - will see tomorrow how much we actually got there. Still have almost 10 more acres to drill - will do that tomorrow and Saturday. Hoping for the rain again end of next week

RedDawg

Another bust in Decatur County - only 0.14 inches of rain despite my neighbors all insisting we were going to get a real soaker. At least it won't be so hot so I can watch my radishes turn yellow more slowly.

Bgoodman30

Another .10 of an inch.. We're in the desert dome... Doubt we get much germination if any..

BigAl

I haven't even checked on mine, but I think we got close to .25 inches last week. The one in the backyard has germenated and growing but I've been running the sprinkler on it. I'm pretty sure the ones at the club are in very poor condition. I think next year I'm going to start much earlier.

tellico4x4

I think next year I'm going to start much earlier.
Earlier didn't work for us this year. Actually started plot work in late July in order to be ready whenever conditions were right to plant. Got over 5" of rain in August, but since I've been burned so many times by those type of late summer rains, I held off. Lost a lot of clover last year due to drought & freeze, plus some was at end of life cycle anyway. Wound up with 40 plots to plant & planned to do them in "cycles" of 10-15 each. Definitely didn't work out and now have 27 planted just laying in dirt waiting.

So tired of fooling with it this year that I'm going to go ahead and plant the remaining 13 and be done with it. It'll be whatever it's gonna be.... Did get my pitiful looking 12 remaining clover plots fertilized in front of this last small rain so guess that's a plus. Not even sure I'm going to spend the money to fertilize all this newly planted stuff.... plan was to see what kind of germination & stand I got then fertilize accordingly. Glad we've got acorns for a change.

Latest posts