Food Plots Plant or Wait

BSK

We are stuck in a pattern. The first pattern is fronts coming in on Thursdays or Fridays. The second pattern is the models will predict a great rain out of these fronts 7-8 days out. Then about 5-6 days out the models change to much less rain. Then the front gets here and we get virtually nothing. This is happening over and over, and I see no end to these patterns. Long range models have a front coming in next Friday and then the Friday before MZ. Both are predicting good rains. But the models are starting to trend away from a good rain next Friday. I would guess by this coming Monday, the models will have almost nothing for next Friday.

JCDEERMAN

We are stuck in a pattern. The first pattern is fronts coming in on Thursdays or Fridays. The second pattern is the models will predict a great rain out of these fronts 7-8 days out. Then about 5-6 days out the models change to much less rain. Then the front gets here and we get virtually nothing. This is happening over and over, and I see no end to these patterns. Long range models have a front coming in next Friday and then the Friday before MZ. Both are predicting good rains. But the models are starting to trend away from a good rain next Friday. I would guess by this coming Monday, the models will have almost nothing for next Friday.
It's unbelievable. Never seen anything like it. This year and last year going MONTHS with rain gauged by mere decibels. At least there are acorns, unlike last year.

I haven't seen this in years, not to mention 2 years in a row. So frustrating! 😡

megalomaniac

NOAA drought map released yeaterday...

Now all of TN is abnormally dry/ drought.

But nothing compared to south MS... literally trees are dying down here. Largemouth bass in the back bayous have died from the high salinity 9 miles inland from the gulf.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020_093803_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231020_093803_Chrome.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25

BSK

It's unbelievable. Never seen anything like it. This year and last year going MONTHS with rain gauged by mere decibels. At least there are acorns, unlike last year.

I haven't seen this in years, not to mention 2 years in a row. So frustrating! 😡
Two years in a row just doesn't seem fair. Looking back, I also experienced plot failures in 2016 due to fall drought. Looked back at my trail-cam pictures for that year and plots are basically bare dirt Oct. 25th.

DoubleRidge

We didnt get enough to even settle the dust.

I'm doing all I can guys...we're carrying 11 boys from church camping this weekend. Leaving this afternoon and be back Sunday afternoon. Camping will normally get us a shower or two...but not this year?

BSK

Can't believe how well some of my plots look, despite no rain. I guess the plants are living off the dew. Even plots that haven't received more than 0.30" since I broadcast planted them 6 weeks ago are showing green.

JCDEERMAN

Our drilled plots are surprisingly healthy and in the shaded spots, they are around 6". The worst spots are about 1". If we would have gotten timely rains. The stuff would be 10-12" tall. We need rain so bad!

Quailman

I've been lucky but definitely could use some more rain! Planted Labor Day weekend and had three timely rains in the last month. In the shaded areas, the plots are definitely holding moisture but I'm just surprised how quickly it dries out. If we could just get a good 1/2-1" rain I would be ecstatic!
I'm also surprised how much the deer are using the plots with a bumper crop of acorns this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts