Food Plots Plant or Wait

BSK

Was out doing final stand prep work yesterday and took a closer look at my "dead" plots. I pulled away some of the duff, and sure enough, quite a bit of the Crimson Clover seed I broadcast a few weeks ago has germinated from the tiny amount of rain received (and dew), but much less of the wheat has germinated. All of the sprouts are stuck in the earliest growth phase, waiting on real moisture. If we get some moisture, I will have partially green plots for MZ. If we don't, eventually those sprouts will wither.

tnanh

Rained most of the day at my house in Perry County. Drizzle may be a better description but my plots needed whatever they could get. Broadcast while it was lightly raining about 10 days ago. No germination as of Friday except a little bit of wheat. Last years Ladino has greened up a little but is spotty. Hope today's drizzle helps.

CritterGitter

Screenshot_20231015_222636.jpg

BSK

The GFS has about a half inch back in the forecast for Thursday night/Friday morning.

And all three models have a substantial rain in the forecast for the following weekend. But I'm not buying it. Those 10-15-day forecasts have fooled me one too many times.

BSK

Two of the three models have nothing but a sprinkle Friday, while the GFS has a quarter inch (for areas west of Nashville).

BSK

Ours germinated just enough for the dew to help sustain. We need rain bad.
Mine has germinated, but the young sprouts are all hiding under the thatch, waiting for rain. Looking at the plots, they look dead as a hammer. But pull up the thatch and there's little sprouts everywhere.

JCDEERMAN

Mine has germinated, but the young sprouts are all hiding under the thatch, waiting for rain. Looking at the plots, they look dead as a hammer. But pull up the thatch and there's little sprouts everywhere.
Yep - it's amazing what that thatch can do. Reflects heat and sustains moisture. I just want a rain to boost everything. I want green fields before the mountain and white acorns start to go to root mid-late November

BSK

Yep - it's amazing what that thatch can do. Reflects heat and sustains moisture. I just want a rain to boost everything. I want green fields before the mountain and white acorns start to go to root mid-late November
That's what I'm hoping for as well. Although I would love to have green food plots by opening of MZ, when all of the family comes in to hunt.

We're halfway through October and so far we've received a grand total of 0.28" of rain. If we get what's expected Friday, we may have just 0.50" for the whole month. Not very conducive for food plots, but I will take whatever I can get.

DoubleRidge

I top sowed some wheat, clover and kale this morning….hoping that our more optimistic weathermen are correct bout this front being stronger and wetter. I did have a couple of does in my existing plot when I arrived. They really didn't want to leave.
Great pic! Flowers make a nice addition for the pollenators....those zinnias? Nice food plot.

GOHUNT

Great pic! Flowers make a nice addition for the pollenators....those zinnias? Nice food plot.
Well glad you noticed the flowers! I had a little "outing" for the granddaughters to plant flowers. The flowers didn't do very well….we'll try again next year. Yes, there are "giant zinnias".

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    636 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Latest posts