Food Plots What to Plant

CBU93

Got about three acres to work with in various plots, Al fairly close together. In the past just top sowed wheat for a dove field. Want to do the same, but mix in something else. Thinking some type of clover for spring time , maybe some turnip greens. Maybe some oats closer to what few woods I have.

thoughts?

JCDEERMAN

Wheat is always good. Maybe a little oats for candy as well. Crimson clover (to me) is a must in a blend and a brassicas can be experimented with. Different herds like different brassicas, if any at all.

deerhunter10

We always do a wheat and oat mix adding cereal rye this year. Have several acres of clover so we don't mix them in but never can go wrong with that. You mentioned doves adding oats and clover to that in a Dove field could get you in trouble.

MickThompson

We always do a wheat and oat mix adding cereal rye this year. Have several acres of clover so we don't mix them in but never can go wrong with that. You mentioned doves adding oats and clover to that in a Dove field could get you in trouble.
Not necessarily, the seeding rate would just have to be reduced for wheat to "make room" for the other stuff. Technically, it's illegal to sow anything for the express purpose of hunting doves according to the feds.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
If you top sow before or during dove season you should disk first. Top sow without tillage leaves the door open for ??

Wheat, cereal rye, annual clover, radishes and turnips is the best small plot blend, woodland or not to plant in late August or early September
and
If you want to make it a year round clover plot just add ladino to the mix this fall and top spread another measure in feb. and you will have that clover plot

CBU93

If you top sow before or during dove season you should disk first. Top sow without tillage leaves the door open for ??

Wheat, cereal rye, annual clover, radishes and turnips is the best small plot blend, woodland or not to plant in late August or early September
and
If you want to make it a year round clover plot just add ladino to the mix this fall and top spread another measure in feb. and you will have that clover plot

Typically, I bushhog, spray, disc, then top sow wheat for food plots for fall deer and dove hunt over it. some years are better than others.

what I want to do is plant some alternative food sources for deer, turkey, and everything else. Although wheat would be throughout all plots I want to segregate different options in centralized places. I also want to plant some crimson clover for spring turkeys.

Bgoodman30

I do the same thing on my dove field plot. I just go over it when we are done hunting it with some crimson clover and maybe some brassicas. I think I might add some oats this year as well.

CBU93

I am not happy with my local coop options so wound up picking up a seed blend to try called Dixie 6…mostly wheat, but has some elbon rye, clover, oats, Austrian winter peas, and some type of brassicas in it…now looking to the forecast.

CBU93

Whet is germinating, along with some oats and winter peas. Based on Rem270's post I may buy a small bag of the 7card stud to try on a specific plot next weekend. Still have 150 lbs of the Dixie 6 to oversees with on the big plot since it looks like turkeys have worked over the middle of my big plot pretty good.

Ol Fart

Got about three acres to work with in various plots, Al fairly close together. In the past just top sowed wheat for a dove field. Want to do the same, but mix in something else. Thinking some type of clover for spring time , maybe some turnip greens. Maybe some oats closer to what few woods I have.

thoughts?
Plant a couple of red delicious apple trees and a couple of pear trees in each plot. You can thank me later. 😁

BigAl

Whet is germinating, along with some oats and winter peas. Based on Rem270's post I may buy a small bag of the 7card stud to try on a specific plot next weekend. Still have 150 lbs of the Dixie 6 to oversees with on the big plot since it looks like turkeys have worked over the middle of my big plot pretty good.
I plan on doing a little overseeding in a couple of weeks if my plots don't do well. Probably go cheap though as I've already thrown too much money down on the dusty ground.

Latest posts