Food Plots Plant or Wait

RedDawg

Northern Decatur County has had less than a quarter inch of rain in the month of September according to my weather station. I got my plots in on August 26 and promptly got over 1.5" of rain that day and the next. They came up great but I'm going to lose them if it stays dry.

tellico4x4

Northern Decatur County has had less than a quarter inch of rain in the month of September according to my weather station. I got my plots in on August 26 and promptly got over 1.5" of rain that day and the next. They came up great but I'm going to lose them if it stays dry.
That's the worst scenario, happened to me last year and had to replant. Held off this year, just waiting to sow seed.

megalomaniac

Suprisingly, the radishes and turnips planted early Sept are 4in tall and doing great. Wheat isn't the best, but that's ok. New 4ac plot... TONS if deer on it daily as it's surrounded by oak flats dropping acorns

deerhunter10

For better or worse we are planting Wednesday or Thursday. Thankfully we have the ability to drill late October or early November to add some more acres in ag fields if needed. Hoping we get lucky with some of these cold fronts bring moisture with them. Calling for a slim chance of Friday. At some point I guess seed has to go in the ground.

NChunt1

What do you guys think of the chances of moisture this Friday in East Tennessee? Only a 40% chance from what I'm seeing

BSK

Next Thursday/Friday it's saying 60% chance, 6/10". Hopefully that comes through and I'll put down some fertilizer
Do you mean the 12/13? If so, models now have a tropical system coming out of the Gulf then. Hope this comes true, as tropical systems usually produce long-duration steady rain events. Perfect for soil moisture absorption.

DoubleRidge

Our forecast calls for 50 to 60 percent chance most of the day tomorrow (Thursday). It would be nice.
We planted all our plots Sept 23rd and a few days later we got 1 inch of rain over a two day period...but nothing since...we used the spray and sow method and have gotten a decent kill...thatch is brown now and starting to lay over...hoping it will help preserve some soil moisture....but I agree...hoping we get the rain tomorrow thats in the forecast....we need it.

BigAl

We planted all our plots Sept 23rd and a few days later we got 1 inch of rain over a two day period...but nothing since...we used the spray and sow method and have gotten a decent kill...thatch is brown now and starting to lay over...hoping it will help preserve some soil moisture....but I agree...hoping we get the rain tomorrow thats in the forecast....we need it.
I've got a plot in the backyard that I'm running the sprinkler on. As for the club plots, I think they've got rain once since Sep 30 so I'm sure they're needing it bad. I'm going up there this weekend to check it out.

DoubleRidge

One channel bumped chance up to 70% and web site is showing 80% for this afternoon and evening....not sure how much we'll get but looks like we'll get something...I'll be happy with any measurable rain event....food plots need it and I've been clipping pastures this week...perfect time for a shower.

Bgoodman30

Rolled the dice yesterday, and planted 7 .5-1 acre plots. I did the spray and sow method on 2 acre plots and tried to sow heavy 150-200lb cereal grain an acre.. My arm about gave out and could barely finish… I might have to rethink the hand spreader for that method next year…

My plot i sowed a week ago did not germinate.. Doubt we even got an .10"…Just saw radar model and it looks pretty good for this afternoon evening… I think I'll wash my truck today. 🙏

Latest posts