Optics for a kid

deerfever

I have never used them but was wondering if you guys would recommend using them for a youngster with todays tight patterns . Please share your opinions and what you think would be the easiest system for a kid to use, Is it hard to get on a bird with optics?. Normal diamond scope? Red dot? What is the concept behind the fast fire? open red dot by tru glo? Again I have never used them just trying to help my son. Thanks !

REN

Fast fire all the way. It's tiny and has a very low profile. It has an open halo type dot and doesn't restrict the view. If mounted correctly you can even still use the bead if something were to happen and it didn't turn on. It's the best I've personally used or seen

TN Larry

I think a red dot is the thing for a kid. They don't have any magnification which makes it easy to get on target and gives them a dot to put on the bird. I agree with REN that a Fast Fire is the best. I just put one on my gun and love it. They are a little expensive though. My 10 year old has a Bushnell trs-25 on his 870 with a saddle mount. It serves the purpose very well too and killed 5 gobblers with it.

TheLBLman

Setterman":2rrii6l0 said:
The fast fire is the best sight period and why everyone doesn't use it amazes me
Among the red-dot type sights, I totally agree, and I use one regularly on my 20 ga turkey gun.

For a kid, the Fast Fire makes a lot more sense than a traditional shotgun scope,
or the bulkier (and heavier) BIG red dot sights.

But there are times I prefer a traditional scope,
my favorite turkey gun scope being a Nikon Monarch 1.5 x 20mm tube.
My favorite red dot sight being a Burris Fastfire.

As one's eyes get "older", quality optics (especially in a traditional scope)
can become more appealing. IMO, the Fast Fire (and all "red dots") are
more a "sight" than an "optic".

TheLBLman

muddyboots":143do0wq said:
My daughter uses an eotech. She is 4 for 4 at 9 years of age. It really helps her. Fast fire is a great sight.
I know eotech is a great sight.
:)
I should have said I "like" the Fast Fire because it's a high-quality sight,
the best anywhere near its price range, plus smaller/lighter than most others.

One thing I "like" about the Fast Fire is the extremely long battery life
of approximately 20,000 hours, after which it doesn't just "go out"
but loses intensity.
Some of the lower-cost red dots have much shorter battery life.
The Fast Fire is so easy on batteries than many leave theirs "on" continuously
atop a home defense gun, and just change the batteries annually.

The main reason many might not consider the Fast Fire for a kid
is because the Fast Fire is more expensive than many others that can "work".
But the Fast Fire is "cheap" compared to an Eotech :mrgreen:

Andy S.

I have to ask, why is a kid shooting a tight pattern? In my opinion, that is setting them up for failure before they ever get started. Tight patterns cause misses daily, with the most experienced turkey hunters.

In my opinion, no kid should be shooting much over 35-40 yards, and a full choke, or slightly tighter will be more than enough with the right ammunition.

Good luck with your choice of optics, but my advice is to loosen the constriction up on the choke and give the kid more forgiveness, while still being adequate to humanely kill the turkey.

deerfever

Since you asked Andy I will tell you, My son shoots a modified choke in his gun. I was just talking about patterns in general ,even with a modified choke the federal flight control wad can be decently tight at 30 . I never try to shoot at a turkey myself over 40 and I limit my son to 30 35 yard shots as In have patterned the gun. So I am smart enough not to "set my kid up for failure "as you say, just made a general statement and ask about something that might help increase his chances even more! Thanks for the ones that have answered my question , I appreciate your help! I use a Carlsons .575 myself because I think it produces a better "Hunting pattern".

Andy S.

Fair enough, I would consider shooting a different shell if the Federals truly shoot a tight pattern at 30 yards. For what it is worth, lead 7.5s at 1100fps will kill them dead at 30 yards so no need for any specialty shells at 30 and closer. Good luck!

TheLBLman

Andy S.":2zz0lb22 said:
For what it is worth, lead 7.5s at 1100fps will kill them dead at 30 yards so no need for any specialty shells at 30 and closer.
On the other hand, some TSS #9's might turn that modified-choked gun into a 40-45 yard gun while still having a relatively large diameter pattern.

Andy S.

^^^ For sure, that would be my recommendation for any kid these days. TSS #9s and a full choke will guarantee you have a 40-45 yards gun. I have not done any testing with a modified choke, but suspect pattern would be awesome out to 35, and possibly 40, with a huge diameter pattern that offers a lot of forgiveness 10-25 yards.

REN

I'll take a different direction for me personally. TO ME doing gun patterning and testing is part of the fun and I want my kid to understand it and enjoy that part of it as well. In turn they end up shooting a lot and really see what the gun does at different Ranges and shells to kinda start grasping what a shotgun is and isn't capable of. To me "setting them up for failure" is more not involving the kid and teaching them how Turkey guns work and just taking them out and letting them pull the trigger. Again to me the first part of it is just as important as the woodsmanship and calling aspects, it's all part of turkey hunting in my book. Nothing wrong with the latter part of that but it seems to me you are only teaching them a part of the whole process.

deerfever

I have the federal TSS#9 for him and the heavyweight#7. I will pass on the lead 7.5 as again I am trying to give him the best opportunity. He loves to shoot and has done everything from pattern his gun to shoot skeet. Just wondering about the sights I see on some of your guns and deciding if its something that might be of use for him. Believe it or not I have actually killed some turkeys myself. LOL. Thanks again! I am looking at the fast fire it seems interesting!

REN

deerfever":2bnzzi3f said:
I have the federal TSS#9 for him and the heavyweight#7. I will pass on the lead 7.5 as again I am trying to give him the best opportunity. He loves to shoot and has done everything from pattern his gun to shoot skeet. Just wondering about the sights I see on some of your guns and deciding if its something that might be of use for him. Believe it or not I have actually killed some turkeys myself. LOL. Thanks again! I am looking at the fast fire it seems interesting!

Sorry man my reply wasn't directed it you, didn't mean it to seem that way

deerfever

No problem Ren! I am a hunt and peck typist and some of my post are very general in nature. I do respect your opinions and sometimes ask for advice, I read a lot more than I post! I agree with you on what you said and I also want to teach my son as we hunt. I think one of the most important things as a mostly public land hunter is teaching him ethics and the right way to do things! He seen it first hand on a drawn juvenile hunt as someone beat us to the spot on day #2. I wished them luck as we turned around and we went elsewhere. I explained to him " we should have got up earlier" everyone that is turkey hunting is going to a gobbling bird so you do not crowd or create a dangerous situation! I hope these are some of things he picks up on the most as well as turkey hunting skills. That is why I ask about the sights in the first place it might even be something we both can use! I didn't want you guys to think I was a "googan" or whatever you call it! LOL . He also knows when someone ask "we have not heard a thing" :D Thanks Again!

Latest posts