Optics for a kid

Shanman

Like you I was wanting a good optic for my step son, as stated above the FF3 came out on top and seemed to be the most popular. Luckily the Bantam came pre drilled and the Marlin 336 base that everyone brags on and recomends worked out great, very low profile and a clean look. Still had to build up the comb for proper eye alignment but not much.

REM7

My 12yr old son has a pistol scope on his 20g. works great for him since he already use to looking through a traditional type scope.

scn

Obviously I am in the minority, but I'm just not a fan of the red dot type scopes. I prefer a regular scope with crosshairs. My favorite is a 2x Pentax Lightseeker with a circle and crosshairs. Center the gobbler's head in the circle, and it is a dead turkey.

On my 20 ga, I have a 1x4 Leupold with a heavy duplex reticle. Again, center the head withing the heavy duplex and it is game over.

TheLBLman

scn":36uarv4x said:
Obviously I am in the minority, but I'm just not a fan of the red dot type scopes. I prefer a regular scope with crosshairs.
I like both, but for different applications & reasons.
If I were limited to but one turkey shotgun, I'd opt for a "regular" scope.
But I prefer the Fastfire on my lightweight 20 ga, where part of my goal was to make it as light as possible.

Don't necessarily think you're in the minority here, but . . . . .

The original question was "for a kid".
For a kid (or any less experienced user) a red dot type scope is generally "easier" to use for a couple reasons:
1) Don't have to looking straight into it like a regular scope;
2) Wider field of view.
Both these are particularly advantageous to less experienced users.

That said, I generally do not "like" most red dot type scopes,
but do like the Burris Fastfire (as well as some of the other similar units).
The Fastfire has a relatively tiny footprint, extremely long battery life,
and self-adjusts for brightness (unlike many red dot type scopes).

deerfever

I really appreciate all the advice! I decided before I spent 200 or more on the fast fire I would try just a red dot scope to make sure he liked it. I mounted it in no time and got it in with some federal game loads and then shot a few turkey loads. I was amazed at how easy it was and with no magnification it is really no different than looking at a sight. My mount on the Sa 20 allows me to see my beard buster sights that are on the gun so if something goes wrong I am good. My son absolutely loved it and didn't want to stop shooting the turkey head targets. The part to me that makes sense for him is the fact that all he does now is put a dot on target and he is good. He no longer has to line up rear and front sight . The more I read the Burris Fastfire will be my next purchase I like the concept and design, but for now this will definitely work! Thanks again!

Latest posts