Not shedding yet

Tom Collins

CF2B4C3B-F461-4160-9FE5-1A9291557DDB.jpeg

BSK

Anybody tried shed traps?
I would not recommend that. Having an antler pulled off in a trap before it wants to naturally fall off could cause pedicle damage that will result in a badly deformed antler (usually just a big spike or a cluster of spikes) growing from that pedicle for the rest of the buck's life.

Monk74

I would not recommend that. Having an antler pulled off in a trap before it wants to naturally fall off could cause pedicle damage that will result in a badly deformed antler (usually just a big spike or a cluster of spikes) growing from that pedicle for the rest of the buck's life.

Monk74

Well, the term trap was used loosely. Normally it supplemental feed or minerals in something like an old tire where antlers may touch and be nudged off.No different from sparring or rubbing a tree. I would never advocate anything that would "pull " off antlers. Thought I asked if anyone had tried that.

BSK

Most antler traps I've seen are wire-mesh surrounding a feeding spot, with the intent of the buck getting his antlers entangled in the wire, pulling off the antlers. THAT is a very bad idea, unless you want to see lots of "spike on one side" bucks in the future.

If you want to find lots of sheds, look for (or even create) a low fence bucks must jump over in their travels. The impact with the ground as the buck lands on the other side often causes "ready to drop" antlers to finally fall off. On some TX ranches I've seen antlers piled up on the inside of the hog-proof low fences these ranches install to protect deer feeders from hogs. The fences are only 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall - just enough to keep hogs out but allow deer easy access.

Bone Collector

I just got photos of one of my 7 pts and apparently the 8 pt I passed and thought was killed is still alive, at least I think it was him. Still holding horns.

some of mine lose them in Jan./Feb., but a lot of mine hold until the new ones come in.

redblood

Almost all ours have shed now. I did have a group of 7 bucks beside my house this morn and 1buck had one side. Every other had shed. But you could clearly see the fresh rings on top of their head so i am assuming they had just shed

Big Gun

A co worker showed us pics he took last night of 4 bucks, all still with both sides of antler. This was in Bartlett not far from my house. I haven't seen any of the neighborhood deer with antlers though.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I saw a really nice 2 1/2 year old 8 point following two massive does yesterday afternoon on the way home from work.
Weakley County.

BSK

Had a big 9-point cross the road in front of me last night in Humphreys County. Still carrying both sides.

swd

Saw 2 bucks out Friday afternoon in Shelby county. One holding both antlers the other had shed one side.