Ethical shot or not?

ADR

Curious how much energy is available at 450 yds? I generally want 1000 ft pounds to have plenty of killing power. That's a flat shooting load!
Here's my .300 Roy
1702932287747.png

DeerCamp

Curious how much energy is available at 450 yds? I generally want 1000 ft pounds to have plenty of killing power. That's a flat shooting load!
1,592 ft/lbs at 450 yards. This round (.280 AI +P) maintains your criteria out to just shy of 750 yards.

Interestingly, the company that makes the hammer recommends at least 1800 fps for adequate expansion. I'm running 1810 at 750 yards.

Good enough for me, as I can't imagine shooting at a deer beyond that. I'd shoot at a coyote though.

Snake

Not for me , longest I've ever shot one was 260 yards . Seems as though you've practiced and shot at those distances so I think it would be " ethical " for you or anyone else that practices that far. As far as the ethical part some can't shoot ethical at 50 yards so IMO the ethical part don't apply here but as others have said "skill " should be .

fairchaser

I started competition shooting in order to become a more proficient hunter especially for longer shots. I will say that competition shooting and shooting an animal are different deals. Usually shooting an animal is fast and furious and under tremendous pressure. Being good at getting an animal doesn't make you a great long range competitor. Neither does being a competitor make you flawless at killing an animal.

It certainly can't hurt to get thousands of rounds down range for a hunter. Trigger time is always good. The fundamentals of marksmanship are the same for both. I highly encourage anyone to try shooting FClass even with a hunting rifle.

I had a very good deer hunter say to me that I guess you should never miss. Well anyone can miss under the right circumstances. Me included but I am continually trying to show myself approved for the sake of our quarry.

JJ3

As others have said, more a question of knowing your skill. I've shot one doe at 350 yards a few minutes before legal - I didn't think I hit it, but found digging tracks the next day and found the deer in the edge of the woods less than 50 yards from where I shot it So for me that becomes another consideration — how easy do I think I can find it. I passed on a mature buck a couple of this year at 330 - 350 yards because I wasn't comfortable making the shot. But I got him a few days later when he walked closer!

fairchaser

As others have said, more a question of knowing your skill. I've shot one doe at 350 yards a few minutes before legal - I didn't think I hit it, but found digging tracks the next day and found the deer in the edge of the woods less than 50 yards from where I shot it So for me that becomes another consideration — how easy do I think I can find it. I passed on a mature buck a couple of this year at 330 - 350 yards because I wasn't comfortable making the shot. But I got him a few days later when he walked closer!
We having a saying in competition. Don't be a hero! What this means is to not take the shot unless you're sure. In competition this usually means the wind has changed but in hunting it may mean, don't take the shot unless you are as sure as you can be. Glad you passed for a better shot.

agelessssone

300 yds isn't even a possibility where I hunt. 70 yds is max, understory is so thick, most shots would be 50 yds or less
Longest kill was 429 yds (ranged) back when I shot a lot.
And the rifle was resting on a round haybale, just like shooting from a bench rest.
She took three wobbly steps and collapsed.

Latest posts