Ethical shot or not?

fairchaser

This evening I had an opportunity to take a 450 yd shot at a doe. Before I tell you anything about the set up and situation, is this an ethical shot? Btw, I did not take the shot but not for the reasons you may think. This is my view and the doe came out on the farthest tree line on the right.

Attachments

• 826FF399-2A22-465B-BADD-6DA72CC3E274.jpeg
    826FF399-2A22-465B-BADD-6DA72CC3E274.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 18

deerhunter10

Not for me. For others sure. I do not have thr setup, nor do the practice for that kind of distance. Not only that I'd rather have them in bow range myself. To each their own. I say it's only ethical to those that know what they are doing that is a very far shot. 200 yards for most people is actually pushing it. People are so out of touch with their equipment it's crazy.

Lost Lake

Me, I'm not a practiced field shooter at those distances. So, for me it's not ethical. For some on here, I'm betting it's no difficult thing. That's a judgement call though.

I know you're a long range shooter, so I'd guess it'd be a doable thing for you.

rem270

Likes others said, for me, no way. I'm used to 150 yards tops and most of the time they're well under 100 yards. Now I know several guys who shoot that far and are set up for that far. It's not really for me but I can see where it's a thrill for someone.

Omega

I don't think it's a question of ethics, more a question of skill. If you feel you can take the shot and it will hit it's mark then go for it, but if you can't then I would not risk it. I would rather have them in much closer, not because I can't make the shot, but because I am not good at guessing their size that far, and prefer them bigger and older, than smaller and younger.

TN Larry

No problem with ethics if you know your back stop and practiced shooting that far. For me, it would be a no as I don't have anywhere close to that far to shoot so haven't practice that far. I have one place that I can see close to 300. If I did hunt where I could see out to 450, then I would have a setup to shoot and practice that far.

As others have said though, it would be real tough to tell whether a small buck or doe at that distance.

fairchaser

It was a doe because her fawn was 50 yards behind her. Wind was light. I had ranged the distance and my rifle is doped out to 600 yards. I shot this rifle and load at a target at 600 and held a three shot group of 4.5 inches. I've not shot a deer that far.

The rifle is a browning 300 win mag A bolt with hand loaded 180 grain hornady interlocks. The scope is a vortex HST 6-24x with adjustable turrets. I had a solid rest with three points of contact. I regularly compete at 600 and 1000 yards in F Class and have an NRA High Master rating.

I had the scope dialed with 8.5 minutes of elevation and the crosshairs on her shoulder broadside and stopped. Tempting but I'm not shooting does if I don't have to. I felt comfortable with this shot. But that's about my limit with this setup.

Coker

It was a doe because her fawn was 50 yards behind her. Wind was light. I had ranged the distance and my rifle is doped out to 600 yards. I shot this rifle and load at a target at 600 and held a three shot group of 4.5 inches. I've not shot a deer that far.

The rifle is a browning 300 win mag A bolt with hand loaded 180 grain hornady interlocks. The scope is a vortex HST 6-24x with adjustable turrets. I had a solid rest with three points of contact. I regularly compete at 600 and 1000 yards in F Class and have an NRA High Master rating.

I had the scope dialed with 8.5 minutes of elevation and the crosshairs on her shoulder broadside and stopped. Tempting but I'm not shooting does if I don't have to. I felt comfortable with this shot. But that's about my limit with this setup.
So why didn't you shoot?

Ski

I try not to judge ethics for others because I'm not them and don't understand their specific situation nearly as intimately as they do. It's also why I don't brag about shots or share many details about the moment of kill. No doubt the ethics police would pick me apart if I opened the door to it, so I don't. So long as I'm legal my decisions are my business alone, as your decisions are yours alone.

IMO ethics fall in with conscience. If it's not right it won't feel right, and usually for good reason. Forcing it doesn't typically end well. But if it feels right and ends well then who can say it was unethical?

Latest posts