Who hunts in the rain if not in a blind or shooting house?

philsanchez76

I did tonight. And I swear as soon as it started coming down all the deer disappeared. I sat out there for the last hour getting soaked with no deer encounters. I don't enjoy the rain, so I try not to hunt in it, but sometimes, November gets the best of me.

Lost Lake

If there's a light rain, I'll sometimes hunt out of a quickly set up pop up blind. I killed one of my best muzzleloader bucks on a drizzly morning, and he was the sixth one in line marching after a group of does.

But yes, with a firearm, and good rain gear or a good mobile blind, those drizzly days during the rut are some mighty fine times to be in the woods.

deerhunter10

Yes, have a great rain suit. Don't do it nearly as much as I used to and only light rain. We have shooting houses but not many and they aren't in our best spots. In the morning if it's light I will be there.

Bushape

A light drizzle is one thing but a steady rain or downpour I'm out. Don't hate em that much anymore.
I might tolerate an AM drizzle if I know it's going to die out pretty quickly but not looking to get soaked.

Kmushrooman

Light rain, I will go. Like still hunting in the rain. Good snow, I love to go. My favorite time to hunt is in the snow. I really like going when the leaves are crunchy.

DoubleRidge

Pouring rain...no...light rain...yes.

But majority of my rainy days are spent in a shooting house now.

As for heavy rains, from the shooting house, I've watched deer bed in thick old field growth and stay in that area for hours. Stand up shake, take a bite or two, bed right back down....hour after hour.

But right after a long heavy rain...clearing skys, temp drop...its on...be there.

Sorry...went off topic a bit...its raining right now and I'll be headed to shooting house shortly.

rem270

I'm not that interested in them to set in the rain. I'll hunt out of a blind no problem. Actually killed my biggest buck in the rain 3 years ago. But I wasn't sitting in it getting soaked.

It's raining right now. I got up and checked outside and crawled back in bed. If it was rifle season I'd go get up in a blind. But being archery I'll wait until it stops and go in.

backyardtndeer

I have, and have even sat in the freezing rain. Killed a decent deer a few years ago in freezing rain. I really prefer not to sit in anything more than light drizzle. I really don't like sitting in heavy rain.

Swampster

I don't even go out if it is near freezing. Deer or no, I prefer mid 50s to low 60s for hunting with a mild breeze and no precipitation. With the long CWD zone gun season, being retired, and living on my own acreage, I can pick and choose when to go and still get out there as often as I like. Tuesday morning was magnificent even though the only deer I saw were two I bumped on the way back to the road where I parked. Guess they were bedded down about 30 yards from where I spent the morning. They didn't act too panicked.

Latest posts