No more...Powerbelts = The Walking Dead Deer

MarlinSlayer

So I had a bunch of powerbelts. I killed two deer with them and were both bang flop drops. Then I shot at a big buck and thought for sure I hit him. This was two years ago. I searched for that deer for 4 hours in the rain and never found him....no blood trail. I had never missed a deer before, but I also got a good case of buck fever on him so I figured I missed. Scroll ahead, my daughter missed a nice doe (or so we think). Now this girl is a good shot. She has shot a hog on the run at 80 yes and a bobcat at about 85. For some reason deer get her shaking. We went and sighted in the ML again and it was pretty good. I am using the hollow points as I had heard off the problems the Aero tips have had. I was reluctant to use saboted bullets as I've heard they really foul the barrel....

I have been wanting to try new bullets, but I didn't have time to sight in a new load before this particular evening.

So the other night during MZ, I climb a good tree in a ravine I always wanted to hunt, not far off a blackberry patch I suspect a large buck beds in. I hear a bunch of movement and an hour before dark a big doe tries to sneak by me. I bleat at her, and she comes out in an opening to take a peak and I shoot. When the smoke clears, she'd doing "the chicken" with her legs up in the air. "good", I think..."the bullets did their part". Five minutes later, she tries to get up, she starts thrashing around and actually gets on her feet real wobbly. She slowly walks, then trots, 15 yds down hill, stops by a tree, and I think "Here it comes".....just about to put another bullet in her when she falls over sideways like someone knocking over a stack of canned beans.

SO I have a plump white belly facing me 65 yds away. I mark the tree visually, and when I'm about to get down to get her in the still good light, I hear movement from the blackberry patch. I sit tight and the buck moves ever so slowly, but slips away. I get down, gather my stuff, and now it is fully dark. I walk to the tree and "no deer" I do a search of every tree in a 60 foot circle, no deer and no blood. I think, man she had to be bleeding good...so I go back to the tree my climbing stand is on, look at where I shot her, pace off the yardage I ranged her at, and see the area where she tore top the ground thrashing around.....find a wee bit o blood and follow that to where she started her little 15 yd wobble to the tree she fell at.....no blood.

Here's what I think happened. I hit her high and the shock to her nervous system dropped her and gave her the dead deer seizure. Then when the effects of the shock wore off, she managed to slowly get up and walk. As I was looking for the buck to come thru, I heard movement behind me thinking it was another doe coming thru, but I was concentrating on that darned buck. five mins before dark, I heard (in the direction she was originally traveling) something crash down the hillside. After looking for her for three hours in the dark I finally gave up. I even went to where I heard a crash well away from where she last fell. It was thick and there was no sign. 10 minutes after I left, I heard at least 6 votes fire up like no tomorrow, about in the area I heard the crash.

One interesting thing, while I was soiling up the are with my scent, guess who comes out in the dark...padding his way thru the leaves like he had no care in the world was the big bucks with a nice set of headgear. Seemed unconcerned when I hit him with the light. He was so careless, I wanted to make sure he wasn't a hog. He just gave me a look and kept walking along, and even came back to look at me while I was searching for the doe. Is that unusual, and did I blow the chance to get the buck later. I have a feeling I violated his bedding area pretty good.

Some sort of Barnes are on my list for MZ next year. I'm keeping the Power Belts only to use when I take a newbie shooting and they want to shoot a MZ.....they're for the range bag now, not the hunting bag.

MXB 400

I shoot the 270 grain platinum mags with 150 grains white hots and haven't had any problem with them. I am going to try the new Federal bullets tho just to see how they shoot

catman529

I have been pleased with Hornady xtp, not sure about bore fouling because I clean the gun every couple of shots anyway. Sorry about the doe. Maybe you can get back on the buck but he might move on another doe if you killed the one he was with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

Accuracywise, I loved the Powerbelts. Every deer I shot never went over 40 yards. Pass through and blood trailwise, I feared them. I knew the day would come and I'd make one of those good hits where the deer amazing runs off anyway without leaving a trail to follow. For that reason I quit using them. There are lots of good bullets out there but I choose the Barnes. Devastating performance.

It doesn't sound like you boogered up your spot and that buck may still be killable in that area.

Bobby D

I shoot 300grn Hornady XTP's with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets. It works everytime. I killed a lot of deer with this combination.

Attachments

• Dayton 8 sideview.jpg
    Dayton 8 sideview.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,380

tasaman

Marlinslayer - every bullet has an operating range. A minimum speed it needs to open under certain conditions and a maximum under certain conditions. Having said thatBarnes bullets have the widest operating range of any bullet I know. TMZ, TEZ, and expanders in any weight are far more capable bullets than most any other out there. Powerbelts are ok for a very limited speed range however they do fail on a regular basis.
Having said that I did not see what gun and what charge you use. Hard to start recommending any bullet without more info. If money is no object then there are several bullets out there that are very very good. I'll send you a link.

Boll Weevil

No more Powerbelts for me; switched to Barnes. Every deer I ever shot with PBs ran and I don't recall a single pass-through. Deer shot through the shoulders had little pieces of metal scattered throughout as the bullet always went to pieces and never held together.

Snowwolfe

Two deer shot with power belts this year. Both deer were close, 25 yards or so. No branches were hit. Both bullets blew up when they hit the deer and no bullet fragment penetrated more than 6 inches. We will NEVER use them again. Lucky for us one deer was hit in the heart and only went 30-40 yards. The other was hit in the right lung and ran 60-80. Bullet fragments never even made it to the other lung.

Winchester

rem270":38ijsf9z said:
Powerbelts suck. Nuff said.
I have heard numerous horror stories and read many threads just like this here on Tndeer. Wouldnt use them myself.
I too have had excellent performance from the Hornady XTP bullets, I use 250 grn and they perform great.

rem270

Winchester":2idwqlp9 said:
rem270":2idwqlp9 said:
Powerbelts suck. Nuff said.
I have heard numerous horror stories and read many threads just like this here on Tndeer. Wouldnt use them myself.
I too have had excellent performance from the Hornady XTP bullets, I use 250 grn and they perform great.
I decided to try them for some stupid reason several years back. It was because they loaded so much easier in my .45 than the Hornady SST did. I now have a .50 cal and shoot Shockwave 250 gr. Them and the SST's shoot exactly the same out of my gun.

Latest posts