New Hunter - First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

harv418

7-08 Remington 700 adl
i would agree with this recommendation based on the success of several people, not only on Deer but also African plains animals, up to and including a Giraffe. I will see if I can find the link to Texas hunting forum. Gentleman's daughter used it to great effect there. Great Ballistics, lite recoil and downright deadly. 7-08 would be what I would purchase if mine was still up and coming. Kacee Crawford on Facebook. Link is still alluding me.

Last edited:

SolaBeard

I'm happy to say that I finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) and purchased my first rifle. After doing a lot of research and thinking, I went with the Henry Single Shot in 30-30. I chose this rifle because I wanted my first rifle to be one that I'd be proud to pass down to my kids or grandkids one day. Can't wait to taking it hunting later this year!

That being said, for those with a Henry Single Shot, what kind of rail/ring combo do you run? The picatinny rail on the Henry Pride website looks a little goofy as it seems unnecessarily long. I've heard of some people using a Leupold 56515 weaver-style rail but I'm not sure if it will actually work. I plan to get a 3-9x40mm scope, so I'm assuming I'll need medium rings?

I'd love to see pictures of your single shot setups!

ttf909

I'm happy to say that I finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) and purchased my first rifle. After doing a lot of research and thinking, I went with the Henry Single Shot in 30-30. I chose this rifle because I wanted my first rifle to be one that I'd be proud to pass down to my kids or grandkids one day. Can't wait to taking it hunting later this year!

That being said, for those with a Henry Single Shot, what kind of rail/ring combo do you run? The picatinny rail on the Henry Pride website looks a little goofy as it seems unnecessarily long. I've heard of some people using a Leupold 56515 weaver-style rail but I'm not sure if it will actually work. I plan to get a 3-9x40mm scope, so I'm assuming I'll need medium rings?

Nice choice ! Sorry don't know what rail thou.

Tenntrapper

Nice first rifle. Can't help with a rail though.
Your location says you're on the east side...if you need a place to hunt, give me a shout. I'm always happy to help out a newby. Plus, I know some pretty good public land here on the east side.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
Why don't you do this. Get a hold of friends or friends of friends and ask them what they own. Find a good shooting range. Buy some ammo for the calibers you might "borrow" to shoot with and return the guns to the owner with a box of ammo for the rent! Get a feel for recoil, what scope you might want to mount, interested in a suppressor (best move in my book), no rush, just lots of issues.

I would .243 if it were me but that;s me.

Rakkin6

With a 30-30 you could also probably get by with a 2x7. Especially out in the eastern part of the state. Check out the Rhino or Monstrum picatanny rails.

TNGunhunter

Hey guys! I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I'm in my 30s and have never been hunting, nor have I ever owned a rifle. I'm in East Tennessee, and the goal is to go hunting next season. I would like to go ahead and buy a rifle within a month or two (been wanting one for a while anyway).

With that being said, I've being doing a ton of research on rifles and calibers/cartridges, and while I'm not dead set on a caliber, I'm leaning toward a .308 or a .243.

So far, these are the rifles I'm considering:
- Savage Axis II
- Ruger American
- CVA Scout
- Henry Single Shot (H015)

A few things I'm contemplating:

1) I love the thought of a single shot rifle. I think a slow, methodical, picky style of hunting would be challenging, yet rewarding. I know this can still be the goal with a bolt action rifle, but there's something about a single shot I'm drawn towards.

2) I'd like to stick with a budget-friendly option considering other gear I'd need to buy.

I'd really appreciate any and all input you have about these guns or similar ones that I didn't mention. Looking forward to getting in the woods later this year!
It's not on your list, but I have a rifle for sale. I have a black one just like it that I'm keeping with at least 100 rounds and several deer by, with no issues. Let me know if this would work for you. https://www.tndeer.com/threads/marlin-xs7c-308-bolt-rifle-for-sale.433375/

Latest posts