Needing a bit of sage wisdom from you guys

Bushape

Hunted a location on my lease this morning and evening that I am fairly certain has been neglected this season if not longer by most of not all other hunters. From the pictures you can tell that this is the western boundary (pic 4). The small field on top of the ridge is an overgrown greenfield that I let go and from a geographical standpoint cover is the only thing being provided and it doesn't appear that there is much of a reason for neighboring hunters to encroach. Every ridgetop to the east is now 2-5 year old pine and sage (pic 2). My access was up the bottom of the hollow (pic3) a little after sun up in which I chased 6-7 deer (best I could tell antlerless) out of. Still sat in my climber and had two impressive young bucks come strolling through. This evening I was able to see more bucks cruising in the distance and chased even more deer off as I left back up the hollow in the dark. I don't mind this time of year waiting on a buck to cruise by but man I'd love to get a good sit with some does hanging out. So how would you go about accessing this site? One thought I had was to abandon that hollow access, go over that ridge to the west and walk down the other hollow before crossing that point and climbing in the dark this time (pic 1). Keep in mind this is for bow hunting. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0551.png
    IMG_0551.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0550.png
    IMG_0550.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0549.png
    IMG_0549.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0548.png
    IMG_0548.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 47

Ski

Tough to say without having walked the property, so you're the best one to know.

My thoughts are this. Forrest Gump it. Take the easiest most direct route and set up where you'll have a chip shot. The hardest part of killing a buck is finding one to hunt. You've done that. Don't flubber the opportunity by overthinking it. Channel your inner Gump and go get one! Then post pics because we like big buck pics 😁

DoubleRidge

Agree with Ski its tough to say without boots on the ground but it sounds like you have an idea what the deer are doing so pick the route that will be the least disruptive to the deers daily pattern. Learn all you can in the process and be willing to adjust as needed based on wind, weather, etc. Looks like a nice area with overgrown fields, young pines and hardwood timber. Good luck!

trout

Sage advice from Ski and DoubleRidge. You have the right intentions to minimize impact. You are in an area with a late rut so the bucks will be moving. IMO find a couple of stand locations for different wind directions and hunt the natural funnels like creek bottom or saddles.

Latest posts