Lots of new Guys on here new to hunting.

C1295

I have noticed a lot of new guys lately on here... Lets help them out. If you could go back and tell yourself some advice when you first started hunting that you know now what would it be? If it was me it would be You can never get out and get set up in your spot too early... the earlier the better the latter you go the more likely you are to spook somthing and never even know it... If you get in there early enough and spook somthing better chance they could come back. Just my opinion.

C1295

Sight in your weapon and practice, practice practice! Lots of lost deer this year.
I have noticed that... I have noticed a lot of people saying they made a good shot and then come back and change it. We all do it and if you haven't you will... but you cant practice enough. Some people think you just point a gun and pull the trigger and it should drop. Another thing to add to Timberjacks... don't shoot and go straight after it be patient and wait.

C1295

TWRA is getting to ready to launch an adult mentoring program for new hunters. I just read that in an email from our Hunter Education director. I will be signing up.
Heck I would like a mentor one of these days you older guys aren't going to be here... and your knowledge will be lost.... Younger guys myself included need to be like sponges and learn all you can. I have hunted my whole life but I learn everyday....

UTGrad

You can't outsmart a deer's nose or beat the wind. Scent control gimmicks are a waste of money.

Although I don't believe you can eliminate your scent, I do believe you can reduce it a level that doesn't immediately cause a deer to blow and bolt when they get down wind. I'm pretty good about scent free showers, detergents and storing clothes. I've watched numerous mature does with fawns get in my scent stream and start trying to find me but not running off completely alarmed.

C1295

I must add... you watch these guys on TV and YouTube that Stalk hunt.... that's easier said then done I bet there is maybe a handful of guys in here that have actually been successful doing that around here... especially on public land your just gonna piss other hunters off and get yourself killed... do your home work scout the off season as much as possible find some one on here to go with learn.... Like @UTGrad said Sit still and be quiet... that's your best bet.

C1295

Although I don't believe you can eliminate your scent, I do believe you can reduce it a level that doesn't immediately cause a deer to blow and bolt when they get down wind. I'm pretty good about scent free showers, detergents and storing clothes. I've watched numerous mature does with fawns get in my scent stream and start trying to find me but not running off completely alarmed.
I think it reduces the smell and makes them think your farther away then you actually are.

C1295

Sight in your scoped rifle! I'm amazed at how many folks buy a new rifle and have a scope mounted on it at the store and think they are ready to go shoot deer. Not so, you have to actually shoot it at a Target and adjust that scope!
I had a boy I go to church with go with me one day.... he is I think 22 good kid... he bought a crossbow and I asked him how's it shot he said Idk haven't shot it. AS HES SITTING IN A BLIND WAITING TO KILL A DEER.

Latest posts