Lots of new Guys on here new to hunting.

Ski

I may or may not have put a naked foot in my boot after sacrificing a sock to the bubblegut troll

poop GIF

Now I keep a pack of flushable wipes in my pack.

Ski

And, too add to this, don't forget about squirrel hunting. It can be a great way to learn animal behavior and add to the time scouting. Every minute in the woods is an additional minute of hunter education.

That's a very good point. If you can kill a skillet full of truly wild squirrels, not the tree rats at the park, then deer should be no problem. Hunting wild squirrels is HARD!

DTM

If you are trophy hunting, you need to be where the big deer are located. Don't hold out all season on a buck of a lifetime if the place you're hunting doesn't have the potential to produce big deer. Kill what makes you happy and treat every deer interaction as if you're going to shoot it (if bow hunting - stand up coming to full draw with deer in range, if gun hunting - practice getting your gun into position and settling nerves while finding the deer in your scope/sights). Most of all hunt how you want to hunt and kill what makes you happy.

backyardtndeer

Relax and take it all in, don't put pressure on yourself to kill something. Listen and pay close attention to other animals in the area, birds often give away predators in an area, but will also often give away deer.

If you have deer in a field especially this time of year, watch their body language, if they go to alert there is a good chance a buck is coming. Deer can be the best teachers on deer behavior if you watch them.

Don't assume when a deer blows that they are blowing at you and don't get discouraged. Sometimes does will blow at other deer.

If you bust deer out walking in to your stand, don't give up.

philsanchez76

Id tell myself dont waste any time watching hunting videos, use that same time and go walk through the woods and scout. And im talking walk through the woods without a weapon. Your job is not to kill deer, just to find them. The more time in the woods will eventually = more dead deer.

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

Modern cars have lots of gizmos to make driving easier....how many young people these days can drive without them? They are a crutch....or more accurately..a baby walker.
Hunting is the same way...too many crutches these days. To much emphasis is put on all these modern "gizmos". Learn to drive/hunt without them, and they will only make you better. Rely on them...and you're lost without them.

Latest posts