Movement this week

catman529

Deer have barely used the property I live on for the past month. I'm guessing better food somewhere else. But I did run down to a doe killing spot on a WMA on Monday and saw a few. Fact of the matter is deer move every day whether you see them or not. If I was to gauge it only by the 60 acres in my backyard, I'd say they weren't moving. But they're across the property line somewhere and I can't see em. Not much sign on my place either. Waiting for em to come back

DeerCamp

This time is year I only hunt in the afternoons as I think I'll bump deer off food sources in the morning. Could be that I'm just beat from hunting all year. But I've been seeing a tremendous amount of deer hitting green food sources. In my opinion it's about the preferred food this time of year they are now thinking about their stomach. I'm very careful about my wind and refuse to hunt stands on a bad wind. My last few sits I've seen 15 to 20+ deer every trip.
It is a perfect excuse to sleep in a little either way!

DeerCamp

Yesterday was by far the most active day we've had in weeks.

They still don't really care too much about my food plots, which hurts my head a bit considering I tore my labrum making it.

But deer are gonna deer.

BSK

Yesterday was by far the most active day we've had in weeks.

They still don't really care too much about my food plots, which hurts my head a bit considering I tore my labrum making it.

But deer are gonna deer.
We still have a TON of acorns on the ground (good red oak acorns). We're seeing more activity in food plots than earlier in the fall, but deer are still primarily existing on acorns.

DeerCamp

We still have a TON of acorns on the ground (good red oak acorns). We're seeing more activity in food plots than earlier in the fall, but deer are still primarily existing on acorns.
Won't they rot at some point? Or do they stay good for a while if they aren't buried in leaves?

BSK

Won't they rot at some point? Or do they stay good for a while if they aren't buried in leaves?
White Oak family acorns usually go to root in late November, but that is dependent on rainfall and temperature. Going to root is important because it changes the taste and makes them much less palatable to deer. For those who question that, ever had a malt, or drank beer? Malt is nothing more than grains (usually barley) that has been allowed to germinate and then kiln dried. Just the process of germination changes the flavor of the grain dramatically. White oak acorns go to root so early because they have a very low tannin content (which is why they taste better to deer - tannins produce a very bitter taste).

On the other hand, acorns from oaks in the Red family have much more tannin, which keeps them from going to root until spring. But this high tannin content is also why deer do not like Red Oak acorns as much as the Whites. What usually happens is deer eat on the Whites until they're gone or go to root. Then they switch to the Reds for as long as they last or until spring.

flankston

One of my shooters was in the field at 330. He is running with a spike buck which is weird for this time of year. He is a good deer though. Hard to predict when they will / won't be out there. Especially when chasing the big boys. I guess that is one of the reasons why we love it.

SwampChicken

Movement has picked back up pretty good on my cams here in East TN over the last 7 days. Got a lot of bucks moving around between 9-1 and I missed a real good one on Tuesday hunting a spot I'd never set foot on at 9 am, that one still hurts...

flankston

Saw 6 does this evening - no bucks which is strange for my farm. Usually bucks outnumber the doe sightings - granted some are smaller bucks

Latest posts