Majors vs. Jones

Just wanted Vols fans to think about how much we all loved Johnny Majors as our coach. He is my all time favorite, and I had the privilege to spend the day with him in Lynchburg a couple of months ago. His first five years in Knoxville he was 29-27-1. His best years were definitely after this time. I am glad they didn't run him out after his first five years. Butch's first five years to this point he is 33-23. In today'a instant gratification world I think people have unreasonable and unrealistic expectations. Now I am not happy about the last two games either but should we be so fast to condemn Butch? Are fans being self centered and only thinking of themselves? Vol fans, what do you think?

gator-n-buck

Didn't CJM win a National Championship at Pitt? I say he had a little more wiggle room considering the N/C and he was a hometown favorite... Just my 2 cents.

Yep... CBJ is gone

farmin68

There's really no comparison between Jones and Majors.

Five years in, Johnny beat Bear's 2nd ranked Alabama team. Majors was a proven coach and everyone knew the direction the program was going.

Johnny was steadily improving his teams (with a small budget and outdated facilities). Butch's team is regressing.

cbhunter

Did Majors make all the bone headed moves that Jones continues to make day in and day out? Did he have such poor clock management skills? Did he run offensive schemes that doesn't fit his players strengths? Did he hire an offensive coordinator that had NEVER been an offensive coordinator? I do think Jones has helped to improve the program in certain ways but he will never get over the hump.........in fact, we seem to be going downhill at this point after 5 years. I'm not sure who the answer is at TN but Jones has to go.

BULL MOOSE

I had the privledge to drive Coach Majors from Jackson to his car at the Knoxville airport in 2016.

nitro_z17

farmin68":7xqkea0t said:
There's really no comparison between Jones and Majors.

Five years in, Johnny beat Bear's 2nd ranked Alabama team. Majors was a proven coach and everyone knew the direction the program was going.

Johnny was steadily improving his teams (with a small budget and outdated facilities). Butch's team is regressing.

post of the month^^^^

wayne

BULL MOOSE":31o4elwz said:
I had the privledge to drive Coach Majors from Jackson to his car at the Knoxville airport in 2016.
I got to play golf with Johnny, Joe and Bobby Majors in the mid to late 80's. They would go to Sewanee for 2 weeks in July and I worked at the University golf course. They would invite me into their group if Johnny or Joe Johnson or Horace Mayes couldn't made it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

AndyW

Hillbilly Hunter":244pn9oy said:
Just wanted Vols fans to think about how much we all loved Johnny Majors as our coach. He is my all time favorite, and I had the privilege to spend the day with him in Lynchburg a couple of months ago. His first five years in Knoxville he was 29-27-1. His best years were definitely after this time. I am glad they didn't run him out after his first five years. Butch's first five years to this point he is 33-23. In today'a instant gratification world I think people have unreasonable and unrealistic expectations. Now I am not happy about the last two games either but should we be so fast to condemn Butch? Are fans being self centered and only thinking of themselves? Vol fans, what do you think?

I have thought long and hard about my decision to de-commit from the Butch train; because I really, truly like the guy. I really do. I want him to be successful here. I just don't see it getting any better.

Here is the best analogy I can use to describe where I am with his removal: All relationships can be equated to a flowing river. When an issue occurs that can't be overlooked, forgiven or forgotten; toss a stone in the river. One, two or even ten stones will not disrupt the flow of water but more than that and the water begins to flow differently than it once did. For me, the Florida loss was the final stone that dammed the river.
The subsequent abysmal performances were just more rocks on a well built dam.

I can handle being beaten by teams that are better. That happens, and its okay. I can forgive the occasional blunder. Everyone makes a bad decision in the heat of a moment on occasion. What I cant handle, is continuous blunders and losing to teams of lesser talent. I can't handle not beating the ever loving crap out of the App State, Ohio, and UMASS of the world. I can't handle game clock management issues. I can't handle forcing a bad pocket passer into a dual threat system when everyone in the stadium knows the qb will never run the ball. In year 5 every facet of our program should be on the up, but we have every indication that the wheels are coming off the bus.

In business, what needs done in the future is worth doing now. SEC football is BIG business, and I believe it is time to cut bait.

gator-n-buck

AndyW":8hlkj9s0 said:
Hillbilly Hunter":8hlkj9s0 said:

I have thought long and hard about my decision to de-commit from the Butch train; because I really, truly like the guy. I really do. I want him to be successful here. I just don't see it getting any better.

Here is the best analogy I can use to describe where I am with his removal: All relationships can be equated to a flowing river. When an issue occurs that can't be overlooked, forgiven or forgotten; toss a stone in the river. One, two or even ten stones will not disrupt the flow of water but more than that and the water begins to flow differently than it once did. For me, the Florida loss was the final stone that dammed the river.
The subsequent abysmal performances were just more rocks on a well built dam.

I can handle being beaten by teams that are better. That happens, and its okay. I can forgive the occasional blunder. Everyone makes a bad decision in the heat of a moment on occasion. What I cant handle, is continuous blunders and losing to teams of lesser talent. I can't handle not beating the ever loving crap out of the App State, Ohio, and UMASS of the world. I can't handle game clock management issues. I can't handle forcing a bad pocket passer into a dual threat system when everyone in the stadium knows the qb will never run the ball. In year 5 every facet of our program should be on the up, but we have every indication that the wheels are coming off the bus.

In business, what needs done in the future is worth doing now. SEC football is BIG business, and I believe it is time to cut bait.

I question CBJ signing Dormady on this very sight. I never understood why a coach that runs a read option offense would recruit a pocket passer. I could understand if he was willing to adjust the offense to fit his players.

PalsPal

gator-n-buck":14z39xkj said:
I question CBJ signing Dormady on this very sight. I never understood why a coach that runs a read option offense would recruit a pocket passer. I could understand if he was willing to adjust the offense to fit his players.

:shock:

You DO know something about football, and I agree 100% :D !

His unwillingness to change the offense with Worley and now Dormady is lunacy. As Andy said, if the QB can't/won't take one of the two options that the offense is designed to take advantage, then you are just handcuffing your entire offense.

Dobbs ability to run took advantage of this to a large degree. However, there were still plenty of times when even he did not keep the ball, and I don't know if it was his own doing (dinged up) or the coaches fear of his getting dinged.

Anyway, if you can't run it on occasion, DO SOMETHING ELSE!

wayne

PalsPal":317fs7nj said:
gator-n-buck":317fs7nj said:

His unwillingness to change the offense with Worley and now Dormady is lunacy. As Andy said, if the QB can't/won't take one of the two options that the offense is designed to take advantage, then you are just handcuffing your entire offense.

Dobbs ability to run took advantage of this to a large degree. However, there were still plenty of times when even he did not keep the ball, and I don't know if it was his own doing (dinged up) or the coaches fear of his getting dinged.

I think they are calling straight run plays and not giving Dormady the option to run because they don't trust Guarantano. But Jones' back is against the wall now and he either has to run the offense like it's designed or change it to fit Dormady. And he's got three weeks to figure it out. He won't survive a blowout lost Alabama

wayne":3iiprcm9 said:
PalsPal":3iiprcm9 said:
gator-n-buck":3iiprcm9 said:

I think they are calling straight run plays and not giving Dormady the option to run because they don't trust Guarantano. But Jones' back is against the wall now and he either has to run the offense like it's designed or change it to fit Dormady. And he's got three weeks to figure it out. He won't survive a blowout lost Alabama

A blow out loss to Bama is a given.

Bone Collector

wayne":2rvkpv5q said:
He won't survive a blowout lost Alabama

Yes he will. that is going to happen and everyone knows it. NOW i don;t think he can survive a loss to SC an then a blowout loss to Bama. If that happens it may not occur during the season, but he will be gone at the end of the season. I think he is gone either way. JMO

farmin68

wayne":3dz8wjhn said:
[He won't survive a blowout lost Alabama

Butch did not survive the blowout loss to UGA. He's just being allowed to carry on. For now.

farmin68

nitro_z17":2z8r5f5l said:
does butch get fired if we win out, except bama? if you fire a 10-3 coach how do you hire someone worth a nickel?

Yes, but of course it won't happen. The next coach would realize, that regardless of Butch's 2017 record, he was in a position that was outside his comfort zone and above his abilities as a game day coach.

gator-n-buck

I heard a cool interview with Johnny Majors this afternoon and I can tell you that he hasn't buried the hatchet yet. He was talking about one of his assistant coaches and slipped up and said, "Doug Dickey", instead of Doug Mathews. He caught himself and threw out there that Doug Dickey couldn't coach for him and later mentioned that Dickey not only stabbed him in the back while he was having surgery but Dickey also gave two wins to a coach that he wouldn't bother to mention his name. Clearly Majors has no love for Dickey or Fulmer still after all these years.

Latest posts