TN vs Purdue

Gravey

Edey is a good player but if he wasn't 7'+ he'd be average. Did he hit a mid range jumper? Seemed everything was right at the rim. His body size is so big it makes it tough to defend him. I normally don't get upset much but yelled at the tv a few times on ghost fouls against him and no calls on him when he fouled. That said it was the Dalton Knecht show for the Vols. Without him they get hammered. Hats off to Purdue but proud of the season the Vols had. The good part was the baseVols beat Georgia to take the series.

7mm08

Go back and watch this game. The refs forgot that the 3 second rules starts even with ONE foot in the box.

1711936765415.png

SC Manimal

Travels, lane violations and the hook and holds.
The hook and hold and the way he shuffles his feet when he spins to the basket is what drives me nuts. Awaka and Estrella hammered him all night and they called it. However they swallowed the whistle when he played defense. I think poor shooting down the stretch was our biggest downfall. JJJ forgot he was allowed to shoot in the 2nd half. Vesci forgot he was allowed to shoot in November. The 3 bigs tried but couldn't hit water from a boat.

SC Manimal

I've thought Barnes had a great game plan through coming off 2 historical poor shooting wins. Great job defending the three. Hard nose D against the Giant. It may have worked without snowflake refs. UT had a chance to win against a better team even with anemic offense from ZZ and all the 5's.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Both teams played away from their regular offense and went to their main guys every stinking time on offense. Horrible ugly game to watch. I guess the coaches listened to all the national media hyping up those two players and forgot the rest of the team that got them so many wins throughout the year. I guess it could also be that they only had a day to prepare for their opponent. Regardless, not a fun game to watch at all.

PalsPal

TN made them play away from their normal offense, and it almost worked, especially with Purdue almost choking it away.

BTW, Edey looked petty calling out Barnes for not recruiting him in the post-game interview. He failed to mention that he was a 3* and ranked in the 70s for centers, and was 3rd team his senior year at IMG.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
TN made them play away from their normal offense, and it almost worked, especially with Purdue almost choking it away.

BTW, Edey looked petty calling out Barnes for not recruiting him in the post-game interview. He failed to mention that he was a 3* and ranked in the 70s for centers, and was 3rd team his senior year at IMG.
As a Purdue grad, I have no idea how Eady is even first team all American much less player of the year. Seems to me it's a storybook. He is very tough in close to the basket, passes and handles "ok" for a giant man, and shoots free throws better than average, but not hardly POY material. Just his and Purdues "turn" this year.

bowhunterfanatic

Agree, Pals. It was still winnable. We left a lot out there, DK included. He missed a lot of mid range shots especially. ZZ never really turned it on offensively, or at least scoring wise. He still had what, 7 or 8 assists? But we still had a chance.

Aidoo didn't give us anything today and we needed something, defense & offense from him. Love the kid he's had a great year but not a good last 2 games from him.

On Edey…he is going to draw more fouls than an average big. I get that, it's fine he should he gets mugged a lot. But, it was way out of line from reality. And it's not the fact that he gets calls when he's got the ball & gets to shoot free throws. It's the fact he's never called for a foul on a rebound and the way he hooks guys is egregious…never called for a walk and if he catches it outside the post he constantly shuffles his feet. Forget about a lane violation. That's a joke worse than drawing a charge this year. No defensive fouls called against him except for the shove chasing a rebound is mind boggling…in totality the way he's officiated sucks.

I'll repeat myself but I think this is the best team we've had in my lifetime. I'd take this team over Grant's 2019 team and not think twice about it. I hate we couldn't get over the hump for Barnes this year. We'll be competitive next year I'm sure but I am afraid we've let our best chance slip by-
Read through the whole thread and you nailed it. Definitely the best UT team I've ever seen. They were 100% good enough to at least make the championship game. They weren't better than UConn but anything can happen in a 1 game scenario. The officiating was awful, but we all knew it would be before the game started because it has been in every game Edey has played all year. I thought UT lost the game in the first half when they had the patented 5 minute scoring drought that plagues every Barnes team when it matters. I know Edey scored 40 but I thought the defensive game plan was great. Let him get his but don't let them beat you shooting wide open 3s. The defense was good enough. The offense just ran out of gas in the second half and Knecht couldn't do it all alone.

JBell

Yea eddy doesn't look impressive when you watch him. Just stuff goes his way. Kinda like watching Tebow play. You knew what was gonna happen, it wasn't gonna be pretty, but there's nothing you can do about it

PillsburyDoughboy

Tennessee Reactions To Zach Edey's Dominance Are Priceless

The Comment that I love the most??

Ironically, Tennessee fans are not happy with Zach Edey. No sirree, not happy at all. Not one bit. After you read these Twitter posts, come back to Nkamhoua's comments.

"Apparently it comes down to who pushes who down in the mud. Or in other words, what goes around comes around."

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Go back and watch this game. The refs forgot that the 3 second rules starts even with ONE foot in the box.

View attachment 221974
A lot of people do not understand that a foot is not "in the lane" when that foot is off the floor. If a foot is on the floor out of lane area and the other foot that is on the floor in the lane area is lifted off of the floor, then both feet are out of the lane at that moment. Any time counted by the ref would be reset to zero and not start again until a foot comes down onto the floor in the lane area.

It is similar to how out-of-bounds is treated. If one foot is over the out-of-bounds line but not touching the floor, it is not out of bounds. If a player is touching out of bounds, that player must establish one foot back inbounds to be considered in bounds.

When I was watching the UT game, I rewound several times to check thinking that Edey had violated the 3-seconds rule when he had actually not. He is very good at getting a foot out onto the regular court then lifting his foot that is in the lane so the clock is reset.

volboy

A lot of people do not understand that a foot is not "in the lane" when that foot is off the floor. If a foot is on the floor out of lane area and the other foot that is on the floor in the lane area is lifted off of the floor, then both feet are out of the lane at that moment. Any time counted by the ref would be reset to zero and not start again until a foot comes down onto the floor in the lane area.

It is similar to how out-of-bounds is treated. If one foot is over the out-of-bounds line but not touching the floor, it is not out of bounds. If a player is touching out of bounds, that player must establish one foot back inbounds to be considered in bounds.

When I was watching the UT game, I rewound several times to check thinking that Edey had violated the 3-seconds rule when he had actually not. He is very good at getting a foot out onto the regular court then lifting his foot that is in the lane so the clock is reset.
I am not sure of your background or expertise in this area (for all i know you might be Div 1 coach or referee) but I think I would tend to lean towards this guy point of view. Think he has a little experience

Latest posts