TN vs Purdue

wayne

JUMP BALL
1000016624.jpg

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I am not sure of your background or expertise in this area (for all i know you might be Div 1 coach or referee) but I think I would tend to lean towards this guy point of view. Think he has a little experience

Neither of those quotes indicate that he is in there illegally. Geographically, he is often in the lane for way more than three seconds. It is not a violation when he gets one foot out and raises the one that is in. It is a weird quirk how NCAA men's basketball calls the rule. I wish the NCAA would call it like everyone else; require both feet to be clearly on the regular playing area (outside of the lane) in order to stop the count on a player in the lane.

I think he gets away at times by putting a foot out but not actually completely lifting his inside foot which should be a violation; the ref may think he lifted because he lifts his heel but he still has contact with the floor.

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Good review of the game from some UT insiders.

One thing they said (which is a pretty universal assessment) was that Barnes went with the "foul Eady all day and make the refs call it" game plan. That was the obvious game plan watching the game a second and third time.
Another thing about "the goon" is that he will be the universal unanimous POY for the second year in a row. Those that have that vote are in agreement. Did he get calls? Yep. Did the refs miss calls against him? Yep. Is that what cost UT the game? No way.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
And there are 100 players with more talent. Lucky for him he's tall.
Well, I see a lot of players that I would put ahead of Eady, but what about all those who supposed to know basketball? Are they all crazy? Are they just voting for him to go along with the narrative? Are they just being paid? As far as I'm concerned, no one was even close to Knect as the best player this year. Not even close. But I only play basketball analyst on deer hunting website. :p. I'm a Purdue graduate, and I've put up with a lot of painful years and years and years and years and years and YEARS!

scn

Good review of the game from some UT insiders.

One thing they said (which is a pretty universal assessment) was that Barnes went with the "foul Eady all day and make the refs call it" game plan. That was the obvious game plan watching the game a second and third time.
Another thing about "the goon" is that he will be the universal unanimous POY for the second year in a row. Those that have that vote are in agreement. Did he get calls? Yep. Did the refs miss calls against him? Yep. Is that what cost UT the game? No way.

Lurch wouldn't have scored 20 pts if the refs had called the game by the rules. When you are insulated from any foul call and are allowed to camp in the lane every time down the court, it will be hard for any defense to stop. To say the lack of calls wasn't worth more than six points is totally ridiculous.

And, I am doubtful that he will be the unanimous POY again. I think a lot of the people voting are tired of the discrepancies in how his games are called.

scn

A lot of people do not understand that a foot is not "in the lane" when that foot is off the floor. If a foot is on the floor out of lane area and the other foot that is on the floor in the lane area is lifted off of the floor, then both feet are out of the lane at that moment. Any time counted by the ref would be reset to zero and not start again until a foot comes down onto the floor in the lane area.

It is similar to how out-of-bounds is treated. If one foot is over the out-of-bounds line but not touching the floor, it is not out of bounds. If a player is touching out of bounds, that player must establish one foot back inbounds to be considered in bounds.

When I was watching the UT game, I rewound several times to check thinking that Edey had violated the 3-seconds rule when he had actually not. He is very good at getting a foot out onto the regular court then lifting his foot that is in the lane so the clock is reset.
I don't think this is correct. As stated in a previous post by 7mm08, the 3 second clock doesn't stop until both feet are outside the lane. Picking a foot up in the air doesn't reset the clock.

But, even if that was somehow the rule (which it isn't) he was in the lane for 6+ seconds with both feet in the lane multiple times down the court. Purdue uses the Bama system on offensive holding in that they are going to do it and make the refs call it enough where it is a problem for their offense.

Last edited:

PalsPal

I've moved on from the game, and really hadn't planned to watch any of the rest of the games.

But, former Vol DJ Burns of NC State against Edey will have me watching that one, for a while anyway.

IF, Edey gets his "normal" non-calls, it probably won't be much of a game.

BUT, if the national scrutiny leftover from our game causes a shift in the calls. then NC St could easily win it. Awaka and Estrada had some success meeting Edey's pushes, and Burns will not be so easy to move.

Barnes gave the blueprint for disrupting the Purdue outside game, but I'm not sure that NC State's perimeter defense can replicate it. Should be a good one for a while anyway.

And there are 100 players with more talent. Lucky for him he's tall.
There are 1,000 players better than him. Can he shoot beyond the paint, dribble, drive, defend beyond the paint, etc., etc. He would get eaten alive one on one by many, many players. His greatest attribute is his enormous size.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
There are 1,000 players better than him. Can he shoot beyond the paint, dribble, drive, defend beyond the paint, etc., etc. He would get eaten alive one on one by many, many players. His greatest attribute is his enormous size.
That's what gets me though, because I agree. Yet can we be that far off of what all the voters and analysts say? I'm a Purdue fan, and it's not just Purdue fans that are saying how good he really is. Are all the ones voting just taking pity on him, or do they know more about basketball than I do?

volboy

Probably have to see what are they voting for and how they consider player of the year criteria. Is it the best basketball player OR most valuable player to their team.
Without tallboy they would be a totally different team so I can see him being the mvp. But that is not the same as the best player.

redblood

well this is just a practice round for real basketball and Knecht will be playing it soon enough. Nba teams couldnt care less about college wins or losses but rather size and skill set and knecht has those things

Last edited:

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I don't think this is correct. As stated in a previous post by 7mm08, the 3 second clock doesn't stop until both feet are outside the lane. Picking a foot up in the air doesn't reset the clock.

But, even if that was somehow the rule (which it isn't) he was in the lane for 6+ seconds with both feet in the lane multiple times down the court. Purdue uses the Bama system on offensive holding in that they are going to do it and make the refs call it enough where it is a problem for their offense.
High school has recently changed the rule but NCAA men's has not.

Here is a snapshot from 2020-2021 NCAA rules (no definition given in current) and a snapshot from 2023-2024 NFHS rulebook. They both indicate that one foot out and one foot in the air is considered out of the free-throw-lane for NCAA men's basketball. (The bottom table (current NFHS) continues on to another page to complete the statement but I didn't bother taking another screenshot.)

Three second lane rule NCAA.jpg

Three Seconds NFHS 2023.jpg

scn

Thanks. That isn't what is posted in other places online, but seems legit.

That probably changed him from a violation every time down the court, but, they could have called it on 20+ possessions where it was blatant.

The game went down exactly as I thought it would.

Well, I see a lot of players that I would put ahead of Eady, but what about all those who supposed to know basketball? Are they all crazy? Are they just voting for him to go along with the narrative? Are they just being paid? As far as I'm concerned, no one was even close to Knect as the best player this year. Not even close. But I only play basketball analyst on deer hunting website. :p. I'm a Purdue graduate, and I've put up with a lot of painful years and years and years and years and years and YEARS!
Sports journalists are not necessarily more knowledgeable than the fans, but their voices are heard. Being on TV doesn't make you more knowledgeable. Eady received most of the votes and won it again. He does not fit the definition of the award, but I guess since he is in the final four he gets the votes. It's the same thing with the heisman most years, you have to make the playoff or be on the best team to win it. It is an individual award, so I do not think that should be a factor, but it is.

volboy

High school has recently changed the rule but NCAA men's has not.

Here is a snapshot from 2020-2021 NCAA rules (no definition given in current) and a snapshot from 2023-2024 NFHS rulebook. They both indicate that one foot out and one foot in the air is considered out of the free-throw-lane for NCAA men's basketball. (The bottom table (current NFHS) continues on to another page to complete the statement but I didn't bother taking another screenshot.)

View attachment 222474

View attachment 222475
That is correct but per some memos to college officials on this subject states to monitor for "intent" meaning if the guy is just standing and raise the foot in the lane and there is no "intent" of getting out of lane then it is supposed to be a violation. Also another example is when person been in lane and then attempts a shot or makes the motion to attempt a shot then they are considered to be no violation if they do so within 4 seconds. But as everyone knows that leaves too much subjectivity in making the call.

JBell

I wouldn't let SCN's word carry any weight with the agency he's associated with…..😂

Latest posts