Leupold warranty service questions

Cannonball1

I have a Vari-X III that will not hold zero and is going back to Leupold today for warranty service. I haven't used Leupold's warranty before and was wondering what current turn around time was for those that have recently sent something in for service. I was also a little concerned over the wording they used, specifically where they might replace it with a previous repaired product that is in good condition. I bought this scope new 20 years ago but it's literally in mint condition, I can't find a single scratch on it. I'm really hoping they just repair the one I'm sending back and don't send me a previously repaired scope unless it looks new. Does anyone know if they typically repair or replace scopes that will not hold zero?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Did you check the box "yes" or "no" that asked if they could replace the scope with another one? I've always had good experience with their service, even if the problems were my fault. I just sent in a VX-5 (it took a tumble) that I hope does not take too long to get repaired and back to me, but I'm only 2 days ahead of you.

TNRifleman

I'd bet dollars to donuts that you get a new VX 3 but in matte color. Not bad unless yours is gloss and that's how you want it. Let us know if they send you a label or make you ship it on your dime. The last Leupold I had to send in for warranty they wanted me to pay for the shipping back to them. The reticle broke on the first shot out of a 270 so I ended up just returning it the store I bought it from with full disclosure.

Cannonball1

Did you check the box "yes" or "no" that asked if they could replace the scope with another one? I've always had good experience with their service, even if the problems were my fault. I just sent in a VX-5 (it took a tumble) that I hope does not take too long to get repaired and back to me, but I'm only 2 days ahead of you.
There was a box for letting them replace the scope without contacting me and I put no. I would like to know what they are sending me if they need to replace it. I'm not trying to be picky but my scope looks new and the warranty states they can send a suitable replacement that might be used. If I damaged it I would be a little less concerned with what they were sending.The scope is 20 years old but has less than a box of shells through and had only been used on a range 3 times.
IMG_4593.jpeg

Cannonball1

I'd bet dollars to donuts that you get a new VX 3 but in matte color. Not bad unless yours is gloss and that's how you want it. Let us know if they send you a label or make you ship it on your dime. The last Leupold I had to send in for warranty they wanted me to pay for the shipping back to them. The reticle broke on the first shot out of a 270 so I ended up just returning it the store I bought it from with full disclosure.
My scope is matte and I had to pay the shipping to get it there.

DaveTN

It's Leupold, hopefully they will treat you right, but who knows. I suspect it will be determined by how much time they have to put into the repair. It's matt, so they may just send you a new one. I'm surprised they made you pay the shipping.

Let us know how it turns out.

ScLowCountry

I have never had to use their customer service. I have heard great things though. If they no longer make your product, they will send you a brand new scope of equal or higher value.

Knight250

2-Step Enabled
I send a Vxii in a couple years ago, had to pay shipping to them, they repaired it and sent it back to me in 3 weeks, with an itemized list of all work done.

PillsburyDoughboy

Getting a 20 year old set of Leupold "Glass" with a Current crop of Leupold Glass would most certainly be a major "upgrade" so I would not look a gift horse in the mouth if they go and replace it. I can understand not wanting something beat up or scratched up if you are sending in something that looks like a safe queen. I am sure Leupold will make it right no matter what happens in the pipeline.

Cannonball1

Have you heard anything from them yet? I thought when filling out the warranty form I had read they would send confirmation when they received your scope. I could be wrong on this but was wondering since it's been well over a week since USPS delivered it to them.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Have you heard anything from them yet? I thought when filling out the warranty form I had read they would send confirmation when they received your scope. I could be wrong on this but was wondering since it's been well over a week since USPS delivered it to them.
I got confirmation yesterday. They say that it can be up to five days after they receive it before they send confirmation, and average turnaround for repairs right now is five weeks from receipt. They told me that the last time that I sent them one and it was quicker than that

Cannonball1

I got confirmation yesterday. They say that it can be up to five days after they receive it before they send confirmation, and average turnaround for repairs right now is five weeks from receipt. They told me that the last time that I sent them one and it was quicker than that
Thanks for the information. Hopefully they get both of ours sorted out and sent back soon. I just picked up a VX-5 myself this week so I'm covered if it takes some extra time.

PillsburyDoughboy

I got on a kick about 5 years ago about the Firedot system with Leupold and wanted Several of my Scopes with the Firedot. Wish I would have just Bought them without. They Only Warranty the Firedot Electrical Part for 2 years. I really did not think that part through. The Rest of the scope still has the Lifetime Warranty but the Electrical Part only was for 2 years. So far the Firedot has been holding up but I seldom have the need for it for deer hunting. I find it sorta washes out against light skinned animals. I think they work best against Bear and Hogs. I think the next one I buy will be the Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm Riflescope

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts