Leupold VX-Freedom scope

BSK

Against my better judgement, I just ordered a new Leupold VX-Freedom in 2-7x33 with Hunt Plex. I say "against my better judgement" because I HATE my old Vari-X II. Worst scope I own, and I own some crappy scopes! But the Freedom is one of the only 2-7s still being manufactured. In fact, it's a brand new version.

BSK

This one will go on my T/C Omega muzzleloader, to replace the Leupold Vari-X II. If I like it, I will get another for my lefty Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308.

BSK

Did you look at the vx3hd. They have a 2.5-8x36. I know you said in a previous thread you wanted to stay below a certain price, and it may be over your budget.
2.5 isn't low enough magnification. I wanted no more than 2 as the lowest power. I was about to pull the trigger on a 1.5-4 VX-Freedom when I saw the listing for the new 2-7. The biggest reason not to get the 1.5-4 was it only has a 20mm objective.

TheLBLman

I'll test it side by side with my Nikon Monarch in low light.
At 4x or lower magnification, I suspect you'll notice very little if any difference.
At higher magnifications (like 6x and higher), the Monarch "should" be a bit brighter if only because it has a larger objective lens.

The Monarch also "should" be better glass, but glass quality doesn't seem to matter as much with lower magnifications.

CHRIS WILSON

Against my better judgement, I just ordered a new Leupold VX-Freedom in 2-7x33 with Hunt Plex. I say "against my better judgement" because I HATE my old Vari-X II. Worst scope I own, and I own some crappy scopes! But the Freedom is one of the only 2-7s still being manufactured. In fact, it's a brand new version.
I looked at the same model when when trying to decide on a scope for my Knight Ultra-lite. Luckily, Academy happened to have one in store, so I got to have a close look at it before buying. I wasnt impressed enough to spend the money. I ended up spending a little more for a Burris Signature HD 2-10×40.

dpmiller613

I'm really surprised you have such a low opinion of Leupold scopes. I have an old, over 50 years, Vari-X II that I still use. Granted it has been back to Leupold for reconditioning about 15 years ago, but it was due to something I did rather than a problem with the scope. I also have a boatload of other Leupold scopes, both rifle and pistol, that I've never experienced a problem with except for one I recently screwed up. I returned that to Leupold and they replaced it with a new VX-3HD out of their pocket, no charge to me. Have you attempted to have Leupold repair whatever issue you have with you VII? I'm sure it will be done at their expense.

BSK

I'm really surprised you have such a low opinion of Leupold scopes. I have an old, over 50 years, Vari-X II that I still use. Granted it has been back to Leupold for reconditioning about 15 years ago, but it was due to something I did rather than a problem with the scope. I also have a boatload of other Leupold scopes, both rifle and pistol, that I've never experienced a problem with except for one I recently screwed up. I returned that to Leupold and they replaced it with a new VX-3HD out of their pocket, no charge to me. Have you attempted to have Leupold repair whatever issue you have with you VII? I'm sure it will be done at their expense.
The scope is in perfect condition. However, it gathers no light, the reticle is so thin that it vanishes in low light, and typical of that model/time-frame turning the dial to change magnification just about requires a pipe wrench. I have $40 Bushnell scopes that work better in low light than that Leupold Vari-X II. And I've talked to others with the same model who say the same thing.

dpmiller613

I'd agree with that, those scopes were not designed for low light, mine has the duplex reticle so I don't have the issue with seeing the hairs. Almost all of my other scopes have duplex except for the Freedom on a muzzle loader. And yes, that generic of scope required two men and a boy to turn the adjustments. That's how I came to screw mine up, I turned the adjustment off the end. When I got it back from Leupold it was completely different. Did you ask Leupold if they would upgrade it? They might surprise you.

BSK

Well, I'm actually surprised that the light transmission of the Leupold VX-Freedom is as good as it is. I would say it is 3 steps better than my 1990s Vari-X II and one step up from my Nikon Monarch. However, the Monarch still appears to produce a "crisper" image. The VX-Freedom seems a touch fuzzy.

BSK

Crap, turns out the problem is my progressive bifocals. If I look through the scope using the lower bifocal section of the glasses, the scope is crystal clear. If I look through the upper half for distance vision, quite blurry. Have no idea what to do about this. I won't be able to shoulder the rifle and look through the lower section of the glasses (requires tilting the head back too far).

Tiny

Yes sir, it does.
You should be able to focus it with your glasses.. Best to have it mounted n shoulding rifle etc when doing.
Of course your eyes n glasses might be different than mine was before cataract surgery last year.
Good Luck Sir.

Latest posts