Any scope experts?

PickettSFHunter

What's up with this scope? The one on the left. I've had it a number of years but haven't used it because it just seems and looks odd to me. It's a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40. The only markings are Burris Fullfield 3-9x and Made in the USA. See how long the back end from the adjustment dials back is vs from the adjustments forward? Just wondering if I have something unique or counterfeit here or if this is just normal? Thanks
IMG_4794.jpeg

megalomaniac

I have 4 or 5 Burris Fullfield IIs (late.90s,- early 2000s. I still use one on my ML. When I really had to pinch pennies, they could be had new on sale for $149. Prob the best scope for the $$$ I've ever bought.

That's just the way they are made

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have one of those long 3x9s. I bought 20 + years ago when I was figuring out my scope brands. I have gone with leupold and have not looked back.

PillsburyDoughboy

Ive mounted hundreds of these in the past. It had to do with manufactures of gun engineers/manufactures not thinking through the process of mounting a scope and designing a gun. So frustrating for the end user of the gun to find out its hard if not impossible to mount a scope on it once you buy it. I know some guns that hit the market that scope companies took years to develop scope mounts/rings and bases and as you can see below it took specialty scopes to get the job done.

Here is a example of a FN Mauser action that required the hence longer tube in the back and a shorter tube in the front. A Longer Tube in the front would have interfered with the Rear Sight. Yes one could remove the rear sight on certain rifles with a removable rear sight but as you can see on this particular model it had a integral REAR base making it impossible to remove. Many Safari rifles of the time with Magnum bolts had extremely awkward bolt throws and hard to fit scope mounts. Picatinny rails were non existent and Weaver bases were deemed insufficient to hold up to recoil to heavy recoiling rounds in a safari rifle. Weatherby, FN, Sako, Browning and several other manufactures were all Guilty of making rifles that required these odd scopes of the time. They were most popular in the 70', 80s to late 90s.

I would imagine if anyone had any of these type of bolt guns that had this set up today they would simply use a high quality 1x4 or possibly 2x7 and be done with it.

Attachments

• BOB-EMMONS-375-WEATHERBY-MAG-TOTAL-CUSTOM-FN-MAUSER-ACTION-1-4-RIB-with-INTEGRAL-SCOPE-BASE-QD...jpg
    BOB-EMMONS-375-WEATHERBY-MAG-TOTAL-CUSTOM-FN-MAUSER-ACTION-1-4-RIB-with-INTEGRAL-SCOPE-BASE-QD...jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

PickettSFHunter

I teresting
Ive mounted hundreds of these in the past. It had to do with manufactures of gun companies not thinking through the process of mounting a scope and designing a gun.
Here is a example of a FN Mauser action that required the hence longer tube in the back and a shorter tube in the front. A Longer Tube in the front would have interfered with the Rear Sight. Yes one could remove the rear sight on certain rifles with a removable rear sight but as you can see on this particular model it had a integral REAR base making it impossible to remove. Many Safari rifles of the time with Magnum bolts had extremely awkward bolt throws and hard to fit scope mounts. Picatinny rails were non existent and Weaver bases were deemed insufficient to hold up to recoil to heavy recoiling rounds in a safari rifle. Weatherby, FN, Sako, Browning and several other manufactures were all Guilty of making rifles that required these odd scopes of the time. They were most popular in the 70', 80s to late 90s.

interesting! Thank you! $75 TYD for anyone that wants it 😂

PillsburyDoughboy

I teresting

interesting! Thank you! $75 TYD for anyone that wants it 😂
Its probably a solid scope for sure. Probably a heck of a lot better than what people are spending $75 on Crapnell scopes on. Burris Fullfield scopes were some of the best of the times. Super Clear and would hold up to recoil. I have no doubt that scope would last a lifetime and I would imagine that Burris would cover any warranty issue under its Forever Warranty should the need arise.

Honestly I would tool around on Ebay and check out the goofy prices they are asking for these vintage scopes. I think because of the weird nature of the tubes and that people still want these for vintage safari actions they have some value. Good Luck With your Sale.

Latest posts