Scope mounting tool

I keep reading about rings and torque and such. As someone who has never done it myself, what tools would I need to change or do preventive maintenance in my rifle optics? What do you us to verify torque? I mean, I have a torque wrench for my truck, but I kinda doubt that would work. 😆😆😆

86723F40-7BDC-421B-AA04-E52048170579.jpeg

This one? Just sent it to my bride to put on my Christmas list. 😬😆😆

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

DaveTN

What do you us to verify torque? I mean, I have a torque wrench for my truck, but I kinda doubt that would work. 😆😆😆
The torque wrench for your truck would work just fine other than the fact you need inch-lbs and its foot-lbs.

I have the Wheeler you posted here. It's analog, they have one that's digital. I'd put that on my Christmas list.

Wheeler also has a scope mounting kit with the analog FAT wrench and lapping tools.

FTG-05

I really like the fix it sticks kit: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021395074

I've had the wheeler and it didn't hold up. The fix it sticks kit is really handy and compact. Highly recommended.

Also recommend this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022966896
I got a pair of those levels several years ago; not Midway, maybe Wheeler? Don't recall; I'm not sure where they are.

I received them and the two levels didn't even match each other when placed on a flat surface. 🤪

jlanecr500

I also use the wheeler. Simple and effective.

Another important aspect of scope mounting is scope cant. I use the leveling tool below. It has 2 v blocks that sit on the barrel and scope. When it's bubble shows level, the scope is directly above the barrel. 25 yards out you drop a plumb Bob with bright colored string. With the tool showing level, rotate the scope until the crosshairs are parallel with the plumb Bob string. This guarantees the scope is directly over the barrel and the crosshairs are level at the same time. Just install a scope mounted level and you'll always have confirmation before the shot. This is very important as shot distances get longer

Omega

Another important aspect of scope mounting is scope cant. I use the leveling tool below. It has 2 v blocks that sit on the barrel and scope. When it's bubble shows level, the scope is directly above the barrel. 25 yards out you drop a plumb Bob with bright colored string. With the tool showing level, rotate the scope until the crosshairs are parallel with the plumb Bob string. This guarantees the scope is directly over the barrel and the crosshairs are level at the same time. Just install a scope mounted level and you'll always have confirmation before the shot. This is very important as shot distances get longer

Kinda pricey, I use Wheelers Level Level Level which was under $20 back when I got it, but there are clones that are less than $10 now. Simple tool, but works great, maybe not competition accurate, but it does a good job on all my rifles.

1704519753730.png

I ordered this one recently on Amazon $15.99, because a couple rifles didn't have a flat spot to use the magnet on and ARs are aluminum. Vials were loose, but some black RTV silicone fixed that. I was going to send them back but the others are more and the ones that are not are plastic.

1704520621307.png

jlanecr500

Kinda pricey, I use Wheelers Level Level Level which was under $20 back when I got it, but there are clones that are less than $10 now. Simple tool, but works great, maybe not competition accurate, but it does a good job on all my rifles.

View attachment 210414

I ordered this one recently on Amazon $15.99, because a couple rifles didn't have a flat spot to use the magnet on and ARs are aluminum. Vials were loose, but some black RTV silicone fixed that. I was going to send them back but the others are more and the ones that are not are plastic.

View attachment 210415
The beauty of the EXD tool is that it takes out a lot of machining variables. Once the scope is installed with the vertical cross hair parallel to a plumb line at 25 yards while the EXD tool confirms the scope and barrel centerline are plumb and on the same plane. The end result is a perfect "T" alignment.

As with the cheaper levels , using a horizontal surface to extrapolate a vertical plumb does not guarantee the scope and barrel centerlines are on the plumb line.

Last edited:

infoman jr.

$50!!!! o_O