Period scope question

Bluemist

I have a vintage 22-250 rifle that has target blocks mounted on the barrel. One immediately ahead of the receiver and the other on a 6" center further down the barrel. The farthest block measures about 15 3/4" from the rear tang of the receiver. I originally saw this rifle in a picture with a Unertl or similar scope mounted. However, before I could purchase the package the scope was sold separately. That was many years ago, and sadly the rifle has resided patiently in the safe ever since. In retirement, I now have the time to give this firearm the attention it deserves. I can't bring myself to put a modern scope on the rifle, so I'm hoping one the "old guys" can help me out. I've never had or used an Unertl or similar scope, but given the dimensions I've shared is there a particular brand or model I should be looking for? Are the rings on an external adjustment scope easily moved to fit the 6" spread I have on my target blocks? Obviously, the tube and eyepiece will need to extend back to where I can comfortably sight. This rifle has a straight, non-contoured 1.25" diameter barrel, so I'll also need to consider the objective size it can accommodate. Given the cartridge, I would expect the minimum magnification I want is 10x. Finally, other than cost and my learning curve is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks

Bluemist

Thanks Dave, it's a custom rifle built on a military Mauser action. Sako barrel is just over 25" to the receiver.
IMG_4138.jpeg
IMG_3432.jpeg
IMG_4141.jpeg

DaveTN

Those look like Dovetails for a Unertl sniper scope, or similar. You can buy reproductions of that scope that may work. Or it appears you could put whatever bases you want on the receiver and add a modern scope without removing those dovetails. Just depends on what you want to do with it.

Unless you are sure of the history of that rifle; I'd want to know that before I started any drilling and tapping.

Bluemist

Joined RFC, but it looks like it will be a month before I can see their classifieds. You must have 30 posts and be a member for 30 days before you can view.

Gav-n-Tn

If it had a Unertl, it was probably a "Varminter". I had one years ago and sold it to a Unertl guru reseller. I can provide you with a link to his site if you want.

Latest posts