"Legal" Shooting Time and a Full Moon

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Re: Re:

knightrider":25lws0d6 said:
Spurhunter":25lws0d6 said:
Never look at my watch deer hunting. Never heard of anyone that did until today. I thought that was the reason everyone bought good glass that would gather light. To extend prime hunting time.

Duck hunting is a different story. We always wait until exact shooting time to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
when you have a game warden step out from behind a tree and tell you that you had exactly 72 seconds of legal light left, after you shoot a deer, you will start watching the time. :rotf:

That would be after you cleaned your pants, right? :)

Spurhunter

It comes down to safety to me. Gun safety was drilled into me as a kid by my dad. If I can barely make out my target, how can I be certain of what is beyond my target? Too many people have been shot by experienced hunters that thought they saw one thing but were mistaken. I don't think, at least where I hunt, you could safely make out your target until after legal shooting time. Those huge pines and hardwoods don't let much light in. We have zero fields on our place.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I watch the time closely, and always know what the first and last light is before going afield. I also make sure that my hunting partners know, but this is often saying "stay put until this time and don't come out until then."

knightrider

Spurhunter":1x122h83 said:
knightrider":1x122h83 said:
when you have a game warden step out from behind a tree and tell you that you had exactly 72 seconds of legal light left, after you shoot a deer, you will start watching the time. :rotf:

I'm sure! :rotf:
it was ole Phil bledsoe years ago in Chuck swan,never knew he was there still don't know where he came from lol, I've been a clock watcher ever since

FLTENNHUNTER1

Re: "Legal" Shooting Time and a Full Moon

EastTNHunter":3lovil2h said:
I watch the time closely, and always know what the first and last light is before going afield. I also make sure that my hunting partners know, but this is often saying "stay put until this time and don't come out until then."

Same for me, for several reasons.

1- Safety - know your target and what's behind it.

2- Ethics - either you are an ethical hunter or you are not. If you pay attention to sunrise and sunset times daily they change by about a minute a day and so do the legal shooting times.

3- I can honestly say I have been a 100% ethical hunter for 40 plus years. I take pride in it. My dad was a cop and he taught me well. Trophy or not, if it's not legal I don't shoot. I wish my neighbors did the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zulu

knightrider":16hllh27 said:

I agree. We had a game warden up in our neck of the woods who would listen for shots prior to legal light. Tough to deny an illegal shot if you go dragging one out at sunrise and there's only been one shot fired in the last 45 minutes.

I had a funny text conversation with my son last Thanksgiving morning. It went like this:

Son:"I forgot to check, when's legal light?"
Me:"5 minutes ago."
BANG!

DRSJ35

i will sit till i cant see anything good enough to take a kill shot.I'm not usually in the stand before legal time in the mornings

Mudbone

My old hunting spot was a spot you could easily hunt all night. It was a hill in a neighborhood on a dead end. There was a very bright streetlight right at the edge of the woods on the dead end. You HAD to check the time there or you would never notice it once it was way dark.

Latest posts