Food Plots Crimson clover

JCDEERMAN

I mowed strips in mine last week. Hope this means they're coming back. Lol

View attachment 224791
We may try this next year. As weird as it sounds, I think a lot of the turkeys left our place for shorter fields on surrounding properties. Thats where we heard them gobbling and where we saw several on the way out.

I think if we have several short strips like this in all fields, they'll likely stick around. Any experience with that?

@fulldraw

We may try this next year. As weird as it sounds, I think a lot of the turkeys left our place for shorter fields on surrounding properties. Thats where we heard them gobbling and where we saw several on the way out.

I think if we have several short strips like this in all fields, they'll likely stick around. Any experience with that?
This is first time stripping with the food plot. I have hunted farms where the farmer mowed around hayfields that kept birds on the property. Currently I have hayfields around this property that are getting high. I'm hoping that pushes them back on me.

JCDEERMAN

This is first time stripping with the food plot. I have hunted farms where the farmer mowed around hayfields that kept birds on the property. Currently I have hayfields around this property that are getting high. I'm hoping that pushes them back on me.
I like it. Thought about this too - we also may try out some stripping with our crimper on some of these fields to where it's matted down good but may pop back up by mid-may for our soybean/corn/sorghum drilling. Matting some down for the first 3 weeks of turkey season with the crimper, and some with the bushhog. Will do some experimenting….

tellico4x4

Yep - @rem270 clethodim for grass, butyrac for broadleaf weeds.
and Basagran for the nutsedge. It's a real pia for me. I mowed 5 Landino plots yesterday as the nutsedge was taller than the clover. Will hit them with a mix of 24DB & Basagran in a week. Hoping the earlier than normal start for me will help.

TNlandowner

I tried mowing strips a few years ago. I found two hens that coyotes had killed while they hid on their nests. Not sure of the best method, but now I leave plots alone until August. I keep the side areas cut for feeding areas.
20240421_163837.jpg

JCDEERMAN

Mine does not look that good. I was thinking Friday my yard clover looks better than the clover I put out In February. It looks ok but not what I was hoping for . I spot sprayed thistle and I'll hit it with some love this week.
I am quite amazed. I bought all the Clethodim and butyrac for spraying all of these fields, but there just weren't any weed issues at all. I'll save those for another day.

Now there is some thistle in some of our other fields I neglected to spray early. I've got to take care of that. Some of it is over my head. I've got to try to nuke it soon, then add another dose to it this fall. Hopefully that does it. I wish I did it back when @Popcorn posted about it pre green up when everything was young

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I am quite amazed. I bought all the Clethodim and butyrac for spraying all of these fields, but there just weren't any weed issues at all. I'll save those for another day.

Now there is some thistle in some of our other fields I neglected to spray early. I've got to take care of that. Some of it is over my head. I've got to try to nuke it soon, then add another dose to it this fall. Hopefully that does it. I wish I did it back when @Popcorn posted about it pre green up when everything was young
@jcdeermman if you spray it now you can burn the stalk easily but its much harder to kill the roots. I like to hit hard with crossbow and roundup with diesel as a surfactant to end those but you must wet it all not just the stalk. The other option is to take a machete to it then spray it after it begins to regenerate in about 7 to 10 days.
i have a place down on the cumberland that i cant seem to get to for spraying but am about to mow it for the second time trying to buy time and prevent seeding. I really should just burn it all down in august and start again

Latest posts