Food Plots Another clover post

tntrkkllr

I have a clover plot in my back yard, this is my second time. Last year I cut it with my mower raised all the way up ( 4.5 inches ) and it was to short ( bush hog was broke )and I ended up killing it I guess. Anyways I replanted and it looks almost as good as last year. I do not know anything about clover so my question is when is a good time to cut it? I will be using the bush hog this year so I know I won't cut it to short again. Also what else can I do to it to keep it growing good and weed free?

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 13

tntrkkllr

tntrkkllr,

I'm assuming that's Crimson Clover from the picture? If so, your mowing did not kill the clover last year. Crimson Clover is an annual - it grows one season and then dies. It will die in May no matter what you do to it.
Yeah it is! And awesome thank you I did not know that

BSK

Beat time to cut it is after the blooms have dried and formed new seed. Then all the free seed goes right back into your soil bank for next fall/winter
I tried this (by accident) last year, and the results were phenomenal. Best Crimson Clover plot I've ever had! I bet there's close to 50 lbs of "free seed" per acre in those plots after the clover has seeded out and died.

And by the way, my Crimson Clover was dead and ready to be mowed by mid-May last year.

Latest posts