"Legal" Shooting Time and a Full Moon

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Re: "Legal" Shooting Time and a Full Moon

infoman jr.":a60twlsf said:
Winchester":a60twlsf said:
RUGER":a60twlsf said:
infoman jr. said:
You could probably hunt all night on a full moon and clear skies, especially if there's snow on the ground.

I know a guy that was hunting a huge scrape at LBL one time.
When I say huge, I mean as big as the hood of a truck according to him.
He was set up on it and decided as night fell he would just sit there and see what came in.
He ended up sitting there all night and believe it or not the entire next day and night again.
I think he said he got down about 11:00 a.m. the third morning. :shock:

He said he could see just fine all night.

No, NOTHING ever came to the scrape. LOL

If you knew him you wouldn't doubt the story either, the guy NEVER freaking sleeps.
HOLY Hades hes way tougher than me!!!!
If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol yep!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

A long time back when I hunted Ms I was hunting a spot that was eaten up with buck rutting sign. There was a full moon at that time. I didn't see anything on my afternoon hunt and with all the sign around I decided to just sit there after dark and see what happened even though I never planned on shooting one. Within 30 minutes after dark deer started pouring through the area. I could have picked off several. I can see the attraction to remaining on stand just out of curiosity but I can't imagine a couple days and nights of a straight sit.

rem270

I know a local guy back home that has turned multiple people in for trespassing, spotlighting, etc but always does the exact same thing. His best one is he was hunting a big deer (173" to be exact) at night. He had 2 flash cameras set up facing each other and he'd slip in the wee hours of the morning like 12, 1, 2 am and try to kill the deer at night. He killed it but ended up killing it during the day and not at night.

A buddy of mine went to the same church he did and he came in there Sunday School class one morning before it started just shooting the breeze and brought up someone breaking the law. You just have to know my buddy but he'll say whatever he thinks to anybody and turned to him and asked him about his flash cameras facing each other and hunting at night when everyone else is asleep. He said the guy didn't say a word and just stood up and walked out.

Being that guy is the preacher I'm sure his sermon was interesting that morning also :D

My brother always says that guy preaches on Sunday and poaches on Monday :)

knightrider

rem270":e57y0lja said:
I know a local guy back home that has turned multiple people in for trespassing, spotlighting, etc but always does the exact same thing. His best one is he was hunting a big deer (173" to be exact) at night. He had 2 flash cameras set up facing each other and he'd slip in the wee hours of the morning like 12, 1, 2 am and try to kill the deer at night. He killed it but ended up killing it during the day and not at night.

A buddy of mine went to the same church he did and he came in there Sunday School class one morning before it started just shooting the breeze and brought up someone breaking the law. You just have to know my buddy but he'll say whatever he thinks to anybody and turned to him and asked him about his flash cameras facing each other and hunting at night when everyone else is asleep. He said the guy didn't say a word and just stood up and walked out.

Being that guy is the preacher I'm sure his sermon was interesting that morning also :D

that's the kind that burn me up, I know a few who preach on sin and repentance, but break the game laws really hard for people to have confidence in them doing things that way.

Spurhunter

Never look at my watch deer hunting. Never heard of anyone that did until today. I thought that was the reason everyone bought good glass that would gather light. To extend prime hunting time.

Duck hunting is a different story. We always wait until exact shooting time to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

knightrider":2x3z573l said:
that's the kind that burn me up, I know a few who preach on sin and repentance, but break the game laws really hard for people to have confidence in them doing things that way.[/quote]

My uncle in Mississippi had a preacher that was a die hard turkey hunter. He would kill 2 a day if he got the chance. Season bag limits meant nothing to him. And he hunted 6 days a week during season. A real man of God.

Hunter 257W

Re:

Spurhunter":1cpif860 said:
Never look at my watch deer hunting. Never heard of anyone that did until today. I thought that was the reason everyone bought good glass that would gather light. To extend prime hunting time.

Duck hunting is a different story. We always wait until exact shooting time to shoot.

I'd say that you are 100% correct that the motive for many hunters in buying bright scopes is to shoot past legal hours. What other reason would they want them for?

GRIT

This actually happened to me during riffle this year had a descent buck at 20 yards away before legal shooting time could see him good through my scope.Got him on video but don't no how to put it on here.I get in my stand about a hour before daybreak i was there maybe 30 minutes when he came through so i would guess 30 minutes before legal shooting time is when he showed up.

Biggun4214

I knew a man that killed several big bucks from Ft Campbell and LBL. Several people have told stories about him leaving camp before dark and returning after daylight. Lots of stories of him hunting safety zones and the Impact Area during the night. He was caught several times poaching over the years.

Roost 1

Biggun4214":3kvghkn1 said:
I knew a man that killed several big bucks from Ft Campbell and LBL. Several people have told stories about him leaving camp before dark and returning after daylight. Lots of stories of him hunting safety zones and the Impact Area during the night. He was caught several times poaching over the years.

I'd say he was never caught in the impact area at fort Campbell more than once.

Matador

Re: Re:

Hunter 257W":o5z24iua said:
Spurhunter":o5z24iua said:

I'd say that you are 100% correct that the motive for many hunters in buying bright scopes is to shoot past legal hours. What other reason would they want them for?
Now we know and the sad thing is I bet it happens a lot.

JArender

Spurhunter":1tv7dupd said:

What makes duck hunting different? Both have clearly defined legal start and stop times. First thing I do when my son is hunting a different stand than me is tell him when legal time starts and stops. Watched a good buck 5 mins before legal time first of dec could have easily shot him. But 2 mins before legal he simply walked off like a timer had gone off.

JArender

Hunter 257W":30a9c3b8 said:
Spurhunter":30a9c3b8 said:

I have high quality scopes because I love the clarity when target shooting and it helps in low light situations when you decide you want to bust a doe and forgot you binos

dirtyhands

Re:

JArender":1yx91ze7 said:
Spurhunter":1yx91ze7 said:

What makes duck hunting different? Both have clearly defined legal start and stop times. First thing I do when my son is hunting a different stand than me is tell him when legal time starts and stops. Watched a good buck 5 mins before legal time first of dec could have easily shot him. But 2 mins before legal he simply walked off like a timer had gone off.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I don't really care if you shoot a deer or duck 5 minutes before or after legal light I just know that if I did it the warden would be waiting on me when I drug it out of the woods. So for that reason I take the times very seriously

Mike Belt

I would think the reason most pay strict attention to time when duck hunting is that it's federal and the feds don't usually mess around. Also, on water you're in isolated spots versus you could be anywhere deer hunting.

Spurhunter

Re: Re:

dirtyhands":3figho92 said:
JArender":3figho92 said:
Spurhunter":3figho92 said:

I was wondering the same thing myself. I don't really care if you shoot a deer or duck 5 minutes before or after legal light I just know that if I did it the warden would be waiting on me when I drug it out of the woods. So for that reason I take the times very seriously

Until this thread I've NEVER in my 30+ years of deer hunting heard a deer hunter speak of looking at his watch in the morning while watching a shooter. Everyone wants scopes that gather the most light, and regardless of what the "I'm more legal than you crowd" says, it's not for cloudy days. I've even seen commercials from the scope companies advertising that they extend "prime time". I hunt in the woods and it doesn't even matter. I guess I you were on a hilltop field facing east with a super moon it might matter. Maybe my optics just aren't good enough. Duck hunting is different because it does give you an advantage almost every day. And being on big water with your target silhouetted against the sky at close range you could easily shoot early. That's why (especially on public water) the game wardens are always listening and ready to approach a blind that shoots early.

Mike Belt

I've never known another deer hunter mention "legal time" while deer hunting either but there is a legal time that changes with sunrise times throughout the season. In all my years of deer hunting I only remember 3 times that it came into play with me holding off on shooting and they all involved full moons; twice in an open field and once in the timber. The buck was there and I could see enough of his frame to tell he had the antlers I was looking for including his body frame denoting how much bigger he was than the deer he was with... and right there in my scope. No doubt about it and they could have easily been killed. I probably could have fired and nothing would have ever been said or done about it other than maybe someone mentioning hearing an early shot. It just felt wrong doing it, sort of like spotlighting considering I knew what time sunrise was. Granted, this scenario doesn't play out often so the biggest majority of hunters don't bother checking legal shooting time. I know I don't but still I know "about" when shooting time rolls around. It's a heck of a feeling watching one of the biggest bucks you've seen in years walk away like that knowing you could have killed him. Just goes to show how nocturnal those big boys can be. Under the light of the moon they may step out like that but as the sun creeps over the horizon they creep into the cover.

knightrider

Re:

Spurhunter":teej64kj said:

when you have a game warden step out from behind a tree and tell you that you had exactly 72 seconds of legal light left, after you shoot a deer, you will start watching the time. :rotf:

TX300mag

I don't have the best optics, but I have plenty of opportunities where I wished I could see better during legal shooting times. Foggy, rainy dreary afternoons are the most frequent.

The difference between hunting an open field on a hilltop is literally night and day from a thicket in a draw on the same day.

Spurhunter

Re:

TX300mag":e7jz7aos said:
The difference between hunting an open field on a hilltop is literally night and day from a thicket in a draw on the same day.

I'm sure. I would also surmise the East side guys that hunt mountains could be more affected than us Westerners.